verbal practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing a warm-up for the exam crackers verbal section I got 1 out 14 questions correct. I have never done any verbal passages before so this is all very new to me. Is this a sign that I am going to score a 4/5 on the verbal section of the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

try reading a book a week. Just pleasure reading. For some people, it helps a ton for the verbal section fo the MCAT. For other people, it doesn't help at all. It definitely improved my score by a point or two.

I agree. Read two and it might help in the BS and PS sections too. You will be surprised how many reading comprehension type questions you will find in the science sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. Do the exercises and you will improve your score. Also, take an english or a lit class, it will be helpful. Reading books will also be very helpful.

Interestingly enough, I've encountered a few familiar passages when taking practice VR sections (stuff I read a few years ago)--several were excerpts from various Stephen J Gould books. Also, try reading Plato's "Parmenides" every day--if you can understand that, believe me, you will be able to understand anything. Good Luck!

The only thing I recommend is getting the examkrackers 101 verbal passages book. With each practice exam I took, my score improved. It's definitely worth the money.

Do yourself a favor, this will not only help with the verbal but also with the essay questions.

Go to your local library and begin reading high grade level newspapers such the Wall Street Journal, read magazines that you otherwise would not normall read such as Natural History, Psychology today, Native America, Women's magazines, etc.

Why? Simple when you are reading these articles try and figure out what the author is trying to tell you and how they are doing that. How does this help with the essay questions? Simple as well, you need to back up your thesis somehow and you will be exposed to a variety of topics that may or may not be the topic the essay that you are asked to write.

I kind of wish I would have practiced more actual passages as opposed to reading leisurely. For the other sections, I could easily pinpoint what I needed to work on (ex, projectile motion, NMR, etc), but for verbal, it was much more general. I chose the "read the paper/books" path instead of the practice passages, mainly because the passages are super-boring and they SUCK.

So, I say just grin and bear it, and do some practice passages. They'll pay off