Verbal reasoning harder after physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uafl112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is it just me or has anyone else noticed that those who do bad in verbal have a very easy time with physical sciences? and vice versa? All of my friends have had either one of these conditions. Those who scored well in physics rather easily (including myself) did poorly in verbal. If they did really well in verbal (11+) they had a very difficult time with physical sciences. Am I looking at this wrong or is there anything to gain from this? (lets exclude those people who do well in both sections from the start)

Another thing I wanted to ask about is the transition from physical sciences to verbal during a practice test. This past week, I have done fine on verbal passages (getting 1 or 2 ques wrong / passage within time limit). However, when I did some physical sci. passages before hand, my verbal scores always went down by some degree. However, my bio skills remained stagnant and high the entire time. This has also reflected on the practice exams I have done. Does the transition from physical sciences to verbal have something to do with my poor performance on verbal reasoning? Has anyone else noticed this or am I just making excuses?

My plan is to study for physical sciences and verbal reasoning back to back with no break in between. I am going to do practice several physics passages followed by verbal passages. I am going to see if I can get use to a verbal section after a physical science passage so I stop choking on practice exams.

Also, does anyone know good techniques to reduce anxiety?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's how to reduce test anxiety....KEEP THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE. While you are taking the exam, realize that it is not the end of the world whether you score poorly or not. Remember that there are a million other things you can do besides medical school...this thought process will help you limit the importance you internally are placing on the mcat. My strategy is this.....I am studying consistently and to the best of my ability using just aamc resources with content review. If I approach each test question to think like the test writer and to use the answer rationale I've gained from aamc selfassessments/practice exams, and I reviewed content, then to me, that's the best I could of done, so regardless of the score, you know u gave it ur best shot. Study smarter, not harder, and ALWAYS keep things in perspective.

Reactions: 1 users