verbal reasoning timing issues :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arthritic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've done a lot of practice tests and recently bought the EK 101 VR book. so far, i've taken 4/14 tests in the EK book. i've averaged 8s on the AAMC tests.

my main problem is my speed. i think it takes me about ~4 minutes to read the passages which leaves me 32 minutes to finish the questions.

i came up with my own strategy to cut 3.5 minutes from the total time every 2 tests. my first test, i finished in 74.5 minutes and on my 3rd test, i finished in 70 minutes... 1 minute faster than the "goal" time of 71 minutes. on my 5th test i plan to finish in 67.5 minutes and so on. i'm trying to see how far i can push myself until i either see a noticeable drop in my score or find it impossible to go any faster. once i hit the wall, i'll try to see how much i can do in 60 minutes. as my test date is on the 29th of this month, i realistically hope that i can consistently finish 6/7 passages without feeling rushed.

the first test, which took me 74 minutes to finish i got 30/40 (10) and the last test i took which i finished in 70 minutes, i got 31/40 (10).

do you guys think this is a reasonable plan? as much as i'd love to finish all 7 passages on the real test, i don't think it's realistic for me to become that much faster in such a short period of time. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i've done a lot of practice tests and recently bought the EK 101 VR book. so far, i've taken 4/14 tests in the EK book. i've averaged 8s on the AAMC tests.

my main problem is my speed. i think it takes me about ~4 minutes to read the passages which leaves me 32 minutes to finish the questions.

i came up with my own strategy to cut 3.5 minutes from the total time every 2 tests. my first test, i finished in 74.5 minutes and on my 3rd test, i finished in 70 minutes... 1 minute faster than the "goal" time of 71 minutes. on my 5th test i plan to finish in 67.5 minutes and so on. i'm trying to see how far i can push myself until i either see a noticeable drop in my score or find it impossible to go any faster. once i hit the wall, i'll try to see how much i can do in 60 minutes. as my test date is on the 29th of this month, i realistically hope that i can consistently finish 6/7 passages without feeling rushed.

the first test, which took me 74 minutes to finish i got 30/40 (10) and the last test i took which i finished in 70 minutes, i got 31/40 (10).

do you guys think this is a reasonable plan? as much as i'd love to finish all 7 passages on the real test, i don't think it's realistic for me to become that much faster in such a short period of time. thanks

I thought the MCAT VR section was only 60 minutes?

yes...

i guess what i wrote wasn't very clear.

i can't finish in 60 minutes. in aamc tests and other full lengths, i finish 6 passages at best and average 8-9 on the VR section.

im trying to see how fast i can "actually finish" 7 passages and cut down the time every 2 tests by 3.5 minutes.

my first test i finished in 74.5 minutes. 3rd test 71. 5th test 67.5. 7th test 64... or basically until it's physically impossible for me to get any faster.

realistically, i won't be able to finish all 7 passages. i would like to. hope this makes it clearer...

Hey, I would suggest spending an hour a day just reading. It could be news articles, blog posts, novels, poems, etc. Try to focus as much as possible. Get thru the material quickly while still understanding it. A month is more time to practice a skill than you might think.

That said, I think doing a quality job on as many questions as possible is indeed better than just trying to finish.

Gl, hope this helps :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
find out why you can't finish? are you taking noes or mapping? If so, try doing it without. Are you rereading the passage too many times? Give yourself a time limit for each section.Start at like 8 min/each, then reduce it even more since the vr on test day is likely to be harder.

Try Jack Westin. Time management is easier with his strategy for verbal reasoning. He ll also give u time to practice and master the subject and costs remains half of others. The good thing is that it works well for AAMC passages.U can also catch him after the classes are over for clearing further doubts

Are you subvocalizing? Read with your eyes.

This may be obvious advice, though so apologies if it is.

You only get 60 mins for it.

Spend 2-4 mins per passage depending on its difficulty. You'll need to average 3 minutes.

Then spend 4-6 mins on the questions for each passage depending on difficulty. You'll need to average 5 mins.

You get 4 mins at the end to check your work. This gives you 6-10 mins per passage. Remember to save time on the easier passages so you have time to fully understand the harder ones.