Verbal Score of 4 unfortunately. What to do? DO Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnhockey7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I would appreciate serious comments only if possible.

I recently received my MCAT score back for the second time and scored a 8,4,10 (PS,VR,BS). I am not worried about my sciences scores, but clearly the verbal score is a problem. I am aware that some schools have a cut off and MD schools are completely out of the picture for the most part.

My question is, as are many peoples I assume, is there ANY hope/chance of possible acceptance to DO schools?????? My GPA is a 3.5, I have a fairly extensive resume I would like to think including ER scribing, Cardiovascular Research, volunteering, Mission trips, medical device development, etc...

Of note, I am not going to take the MCAT again, especially the new one as I don't have the endurance and mentality to do so again plain and simple, this is my choice.

Again let me know what you think! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are cut offs for D.O. schools that scanned you, i think is 24. Small possibility for D.O. schools that automatically give you secondaries so just try.

Cast a VERY wide net. 22 is at the bottom end to begin with; couple that with a 4 in VR and you're pretty much dead in the water, unfortunately. If unsuccessful, look into DPM.

Reactions: 1 user
Your chances are very slim to practically none. You are limiting yourself by not taking the MCAT again. I agree with @LChristmas and recommend looking into podiatry. It's a great career option, you are still a doctor, and you are qualified with that MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand how difficult it is to restudy for the MCAT. If this is your first time taking it, I would recommend taking it one more time at a later period. Take a couple of months off to gather yourself but hit it hard when you get back into it. Don't let this exam dictate your future career. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, it's going to be a tough battle but I think you can totally do it.

If you are absolutely sure you are not going to take it again, your chances are practically zero for MD and DO. DO cut off is a 7 for verbal for most schools. For MD, it's about an 8.

I know you probably think that no matter what you do, you won't do well on the MCAT. But that's not true. You just have to study the right way and most importantly, believe in yourself. I've had students who scored as low as 4 end up in the 10 range the second time. It's possible if you study the right way.

I understand how difficult it is to restudy for the MCAT. If this is your first time taking it, I would recommend taking it one more time at a later period. Take a couple of months off to gather yourself but hit it hard when you get back into it. Don't let this exam dictate your future career. If you REALLY want to be a doctor, it's going to be a tough battle but I think you can totally do it.

If you are absolutely sure you are not going to take it again, your chances are practically zero for MD and DO. DO cut off is a 7 for verbal for most schools. For MD, it's about an 8.

I know you probably think that no matter what you do, you won't do well on the MCAT. But that's not true. You just have to study the right way and most importantly, believe in yourself. I've had students who scored as low as 4 end up in the 10 range the second time. It's possible if you study the right way.

Yes I completely understand what you are saying! Unfortunately, this would be my 3rd time taking the test (first time with the 2015).

That 22 is pretty low, and it hurts that it isn't balanced. I wouldn't even apply on the very slim chance of an acceptance because you then become a reapplicant and you're hit with the, "What have you done to improve your application?"
You have got to study, and study hard for the new MCAT

Retake that MCAT and buy some EK 101 passages or another really good verbal prep book. If you want to go DO or MD, I really think that is your best option.