Verbal Strategy Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayocaptain628

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed from doing verbal passages that most of the questions can be answered by understanding the main idea of the passage and the tone of the author. However, when it comes to questions about "references," then, I always miss them.
I also do not finish verbal passages with sufficient time to double check the passage

This is my strategy for Verbal:
*read questions first
*read passage, highlighting transition phrases, contrast words, etc.
*answer questions

I find that reading the questions is important for me because it helps draw my attention to certain phrases in the passage that I would have overlooked; however, by the time I start reading the passage, I've pretty much forgotten the other questions, particularly for those verbal passages with very long question stems.

I feel as though I'm wasting time really by not retaining information from the question stems; any suggestions?

Has anyone else had experiences like this?
Any advice that has helped you in Verbal?

I'm afraid if I cut down on time by skimming the passages it would be detrimental, but Im not sure where I would find extra time.

Please and thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think a super important part of reading a passage is understanding not only what it's about, but how the author feels about it. Read it as if someone is standing in front of you, verbally describing it to you. How is the author's tone? Are they supportive? Are they angry or annoyed? Are they sarcastic? Are they providing solely factual evidence? When you realize the author's opinion about the topic, it will be a lot easier to answer the questions.

Personally, I read through the passage, and not just passively read through, but read through as if I'm COMPLETELY interested in what the passage is talking about? A passage on the biodiversity of undersea life? Cool!! A passage on the French Revolution? Wow, so interesting. Even if reading it is the most boring thing in the world, I think you almost have to force yourself to be interested.

I also underline key phrases, or the way that the author may feel about a part of the topic. Maybe this is just one of my weird things that help me concentrate, but I draw a straight line underneath something the author supports, or compliments, or make an important emphasis and a squiggly line underneath something the author puts down, etc.

The most important thing is you have to REALLY FOCUS. If you can focus on those 4-6 paragraphs, and really concentrate, you will have no issue finding where a certain quote or idea was expressed by the author.

Personally, I go one question at a time. I read the question, read it once more (you would not believe the number of questions I got wrong just because I didn't read the stem close enough! Especially with those tricky questions that have the double negatives). Think about what the question is really asking. Then look at choice A. Reason with yourself what you think about it ("This is definitely not right", or "this could be right, but maybe the other answer choices are better, lets read those and find out"). Going one step at a time really helps to reason with yourself why answer B is the right answer, and why A, C, and D are wrong.

I think the combination of those three things; knowing the authors tone, really concentrating on the passage and going through each question one at a time will really help you with those reference questions. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
I think a super important part of reading a passage is understanding not only what it's about, but how the author feels about it. Read it as if someone is standing in front of you, verbally describing it to you. How is the author's tone? Are they supportive? Are they angry or annoyed? Are they sarcastic? Are they providing solely factual evidence? When you realize the author's opinion about the topic, it will be a lot easier to answer the questions.

Personally, I read through the passage, and not just passively read through, but read through as if I'm COMPLETELY interested in what the passage is talking about? A passage on the biodiversity of undersea life? Cool!! A passage on the French Revolution? Wow, so interesting. Even if reading it is the most boring thing in the world, I think you almost have to force yourself to be interested.

I also underline key phrases, or the way that the author may feel about a part of the topic. Maybe this is just one of my weird things that help me concentrate, but I draw a straight line underneath something the author supports, or compliments, or make an important emphasis and a squiggly line underneath something the author puts down, etc.

The most important thing is you have to REALLY FOCUS. If you can focus on those 4-6 paragraphs, and really concentrate, you will have no issue finding where a certain quote or idea was expressed by the author.

Personally, I go one question at a time. I read the question, read it once more (you would not believe the number of questions I got wrong just because I didn't read the stem close enough! Especially with those tricky questions that have the double negatives). Think about what the question is really asking. Then look at choice A. Reason with yourself what you think about it ("This is definitely not right", or "this could be right, but maybe the other answer choices are better, lets read those and find out"). Going one step at a time really helps to reason with yourself why answer B is the right answer, and why A, C, and D are wrong.

I think the combination of those three things; knowing the authors tone, really concentrating on the passage and going through each question one at a time will really help you with those reference questions. Good luck!!

thank you for your solid reply kkosp! :)
im going to do some more passages today keeping your advice in mind
do you have any advice on postgaming verbal answer explanations??