Verbal: Tips on how to make the topic more appealing to me??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaids37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may sound obvious but I found a pattern in my verbal reasoning practice passages. Pretty simple: those I enjoy reading, that are more appealing, I will literally get 1 or 0 wrong answers and those which I do not enjoy (most of them haha) I find myself having a hard time grasping what the author is saying, the main idea, and overall understanding of the passage...

I realized the ones I LIKE to read not only do I retain the info better, but I also can mentally map the passage much better and literally pick out where the answers to most of the questions stem from.

Wondering if there was any tips people used to make passages more appealing to them and more enjoyable that would possibly lead to this result? (I tried reading the passages in Morgan Freeman's voice but that just makes me laugh haha)

Members don't see this ad.

Force yourself to be excited by the topic like "Oh boy, I love Decartes!" Force yourself to love the topic and it will love you back. :bookworm:

There are two issues that may be occurring:

(1) "You got to fake it till you make it!" Tell yourself how cool the topic is. It's the score that matters.

(2) You don't like the passages that are confusing.

Decide which it is, and you will have your Verbal study path.