Vermont's Provisional Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrazz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received Vermont's "provisional" offer of acceptance? Apparently this offer stands only on the condition that your transcripts and MCATs are verified. My questions are: Is this just a formality? Has anyone been rejected after they received this offer? Will the school eventually send out "formal" offers?

Also, any feedback on the school would be appreciated.

I have been reading this forum for some time now and finally decided to post a question. This site is great!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the ranks of the SDN posters! :D

I don't know the definitive answer to your question, but it sure sounds like a formality to me. CONGRATS!!! :clap:

I'll be interviewing there in about a month. I'd love to hear what you thought of the school. It's near the top of my list.

jrazz:
the provisional acceptance is an acceptance. the assistant dean said that they only send out a provisional letter first b/c of the amcas mess (i.e. wrong mcat scores or incorrect gpas on supposedly "verified" applications). they don't expect that they will have to take away any acceptances.

SMW:
congrats on your vermont interview. i was just there at the beginning of this month. my experience there was really good. nice people, location, and some really good aspects of their curriculum such as doctoring in vermont. the only negative thing i noticed was the new curriculum next year. it's still in its planning phase, so next years class will be the guinea pigs. from what i saw, they are still unsure of how the curriculum is going to be implemented. they don't even know what grading system to use yet! other than that, i really liked it. good luck!

calbear

Members don't see this ad :)
jrazz:

when did you get the conditional acceptance? i thought that they only send out decisions in dec, feb, and april? btw, are you a vermont resident?

calbear

Calbear is right, it's just a formality. I got my letter a couple days ago and after you send in your transcripts they give you an official acceptance, Tulane did the same thing. As for the "new curriculum," they've actually pushed it back another year. Even though the viewbook says they're starting their new systems-based curriculum with the class entering in the fall, they tell you at the interview that they haven't gotten their act together and this coming year will be the same curriculum as last year.

I interviewed at UVM in October, and I wasn't very impressed. I loved Burlington, and everyone at the medical school was really friendly. What I didn't like: I left completely clueless as to what the curriculum is all about (they don't even seem to know), how they try and cram the basic sciences into 1.5 yrs instead of two, and the facilities seemed pretty shabby. They are doing so much construction that everything is torn up... apparently the library moves every six months or so. I think It'll be a nice school in 5 years, but I wouldn't want to be there now.

Thanks everyone for for the responses!!!!

CalBear:
I actually got my acceptance in December. You are right in that they do only send out decisions in Dec, Feb and April. I think the committee is meeting the first week in Feb. If you interviewed on a Tues, they will review you on Thursday and vice versa. You should get a letter by the second week of Feb. Good Luck and keep me posted on how things turn out. Oh, I'm not a Vermont resident.

SMW:
I absolutely loved the school. I love Vermont and Burlington seems like a great place to live (if you don't mind the cold, but I'm sure Vermont will seem like the tropics compared to Alaska). As far as the curriculum is concerned, the students that gave us the tour didn't seem to be fazed by this issue. I also liked the small class size (< 100). Unless I hear from my state school, I think that I will be attending there. Good luck on your interview. Oh, here is a little tip. The room they put you in to wait for your interview is about 1,000 degrees. Go outside or walk around or you will definitely be sleepy by the time they call you. Good luck!!!

CalBear,
Did you say you interviewed at UVM in early Jan? What day was it on? I also was there in early Jan.; Jan 3 to be exact.

p60001:

oh my gosh! i was there on the third too. i think i know who you are. did you stay at the sheraton? if you did, i was the one who talked to you at the end of the day about comfy shoes. :)

calbear

Hi Jrazz,

To my knowledge, all the schools send out "provisional" acceptances. UCSF definitely mentioned, though not on the acceptance letter (but in with the information sent), that acceptance was contingent upon "verification" of transcripts (not sure about MCATs) and pre-requisites being completed. So, don't worry - you're IN! Congrats!

-- Becky