VERY BAD GRADES and only a freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desigirl101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm in super panic mode
for lots of reasons, but basically my own fault, i have not done well this year, AT ALL. and i was trying to put this in another thread, i feel bad about starting another one but the closest ones related to this were about people in ivy leagues or in high school or juniors taking the mcat, i don't know, maybe im panicking so much i can't focus but basically this year, in my science classes, my grades have been
gen chem 1: B+
gen chem 2: C+
calc : B+
physics: B+

i haven't gotten a single A in a science class YET and i go to pitt, no super special ivy league or anything, and i still have to take organic chem and micro bio etc etc. now, i honestly expected like a D in physics, i suck at it so bad, words cannot even describe. but chem, i was doing well in chem, and then personal things got in the way and my grades took a dive, both semesters.
so i guess i'm wondering, have i officially screwed myself? will no good med school accept me? or can i fix this? since i'm just a freshman, well now sophomore at the end of the summer, do I have a chance to recover from this???

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine if you figure out why you got these grades.If you didn't work hard enough, then work harder. If you did work hard, then you need to figure out a more effective way to learn. These grades won't kill you. You do need to make mostly A's from now on though. My grades from Freshmen year were not too much better. You just need to get into a different mindset. Good luck!

for lots of reasons, but basically my own fault, i have not done well this year, AT ALL. and i was trying to put this in another thread, i feel bad about starting another one but the closest ones related to this were about people in ivy leagues or in high school or juniors taking the mcat, i don't know, maybe im panicking so much i can't focus but basically this year, in my science classes, my grades have been

i haven't gotten a single A in a science class YET and i go to pitt, no super special ivy league or anything, and i still have to take organic chem and micro bio etc etc. now, i honestly expected like a D in physics, i suck at it so bad, words cannot even describe. but chem, i was doing well in chem, and then personal things got in the way and my grades took a dive, both semesters.
so i guess i'm wondering, have i officially screwed myself? will no good med school accept me? or can i fix this? since i'm just a freshman, well now sophomore at the end of the summer, do I have a chance to recover from this???
Why don't you meet with one of your school's academic counselors and make a plan for next year. You can get some ideas about attending your instructor's office hours, what free tutoring is available, how to get into a study group, maybe review your study strategies. and other academic coaching.

Members don't see this ad :)

are you capable of performing better?

if yes: redemption possible.
if no: http://www.mcstate.com/careers

See if your school has a tutoring center. That helped me a lot early on especially with sciences.

No I wouldn't go into freakout mode just yet, you still have 3/4 of your college left. Do you have test anxiety? See if your school has counselling programs, a lot of them do and offer group therapy/individual therapy for free for test anxiety.

In addition to that you're probably going to need to change how you study. For science classes pretty much the only way to learn is through reading the textbook and solving LOTS of problems. Like think filling up entire spirals full of problems. The problems you can't solve you need to generate questions to ask the TA + Professor.

If you do those three things you should automatically see yourself getting those As!

I actually did worse my first year, but completely pulled a 180 for the rest of my undergrad. So if you can do better I really wouldn't worry too much, just don't make it a habit. I actually talked to one of my interviewers about my grades my first year. Her response was," honestly I don't see them hurting you at all, you improved dramatically the next year and maintained it ever since."

dafuq? You still got C+ or better. Maybe it's a concern if you studied your tail off,but just try to be more efficient the next go around.

You could use a tutoring center,but I don't really see a benefit. I'd just learn how I learn asap,and then gradually become more efficient at it.