very confused about this SLOE process..no way i can get two before applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got my 4th year schedule and kinda got screwed. i wanna go into EM but theres only 1 way i can get a SLOE from an EM rotation before applications are due. july i HAVE to take off, august i can do an away EM rotation and get a SLOE there but in september i am scheduled for a CCU elective that is mandatory. i can do another EM away in october but won't that be to late since applications are ready september?

how the heck do people get 2 SLOE but september?

i will also have two very good other letters, one from a ob/gyn and another from internal med. does that matter?

is it still worth it to apply with only 1 SLOE?

Members don't see this ad.

One option is to do a rotation as a 3rd year, if at all possible. I understand how schools can be about mandatory rotations, but is there any way you can complete the rotation at another time during the year (or is it mandatorily done at that specific time of year?)?

Members don't see this ad :)
its a lottery system and i kinda got screwed so its mandatory i do the CCU elective in september unfortunately

Why do you have to take July off?

I'd talk to your dean of students and your home EM clerkship director to get their advice on the situation. Its your school's job to make sure you have the best shot at matching. Let them know you're going into EM and need 2 SLOEs. They might be able to squeeze in a 2 week rotation sometime before September.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah a mandatory vacation in July seems a little ridiculous. That's prime time to do aways.

Depends on the rules of the department you are rotating at you may be able to get more than 1 SLOE from that rotation, though obviously 2 from the same rotations won't count for as much.

You can also do some damage control by emailing/calling programs you are interested in applying and letting them know your situation and that you will have a second SLOE, just later.

I didn't get my second SLOE until the end of October as well and I still got a lot of interviews (before and after it was submitted). Any schools I was really interested in that I didn't get an interview from right off the bat I just emailed and told my letter would be coming. Some did offer me an interview once it was submitted. It ended up working out fine.

its a lottery system and i kinda got screwed so its mandatory i do the CCU elective in september unfortunately
Still doesn't answer why you have to take July off. If you're getting married or something equally big, that's fine. Just know that you're hurting your chances by doing so

Still doesn't answer why you have to take July off. If you're getting married or something equally big, that's fine. Just know that you're hurting your chances by doing so

don't a lot of people take Step 2 early? He or she could just be doing that in July (studying for it then taking it)

You are going to do 1 Away (and possibly a second) with 0 Home? If your school has a CCU, I assume there's an ED. Where'd your home rotation go?

My school said I "had" to take July off. I did an away anyways.

Sorry but wanted to clarify this instead of making a new thread.

I was planning on doing an away rotation to get 1 SLOE but our school also requires us to do an EM month before our away and I assume I would get another SLOE at my home institution.

Is this less than ideal to have 1 away SLOE and 1 home SLOE? And follow up to that would it be ok if the away rotation SLOE comes in the month of October but after 10/1? Would you guys recommend doing a second away rotation for an additional SLOE or would those two be good enough?

Appreciate the advice!!!

Why do you have to take July off?

I'd talk to your dean of students and your home EM clerkship director to get their advice on the situation. Its your school's job to make sure you have the best shot at matching. Let them know you're going into EM and need 2 SLOEs. They might be able to squeeze in a 2 week rotation sometime before September.

Depends on the rules of the department you are rotating at you may be able to get more than 1 SLOE from that rotation, though obviously 2 from the same rotations won't count for as much.

You can also do some damage control by emailing/calling programs you are interested in applying and letting them know your situation and that you will have a second SLOE, just later.

I didn't get my second SLOE until the end of October as well and I still got a lot of interviews (before and after it was submitted). Any schools I was really interested in that I didn't get an interview from right off the bat I just emailed and told my letter would be coming. Some did offer me an interview once it was submitted. It ended up working out fine.

Sorry but wanted to clarify this instead of making a new thread.

I was planning on doing an away rotation to get 1 SLOE but our school also requires us to do an EM month before our away and I assume I would get another SLOE at my home institution.

Is this less than ideal to have 1 away SLOE and 1 home SLOE? And follow up to that would it be ok if the away rotation SLOE comes in the month of October but after 10/1? Would you guys recommend doing a second away rotation for an additional SLOE or would those two be good enough?

Appreciate the advice!!!
From what I understand, you do your home EM for one SLOE, and one away for another SLOE, putting your total to two. Wouldbe great to have a second, but not required by all means. I've heard that if you have a few bumps on your record (lots of 'P's, low step 1) then it would help you more to have an extra away SLOE. PDs have told me that they put a lot of stock into your away letters.

I've asked the same question as well about october aways, and while september is tolerable, october is seriously pushing it. Some have had good results, others not so much.

where do you want to match to?