Very confused and depressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So when are we going to blame this on URMs?
I ll start... Some UMRs with 26-28 MCAT probably take OP's spot...

Members don't see this ad.

The reapplicant as a red flag thing is a bit misconstrued on SDN. Yes some schools treat it as such, but many schools don't care, and few (to be honest I only know of one), surprisingly, look at you more favorably .

Before the URM bashing begins, this is a salient point for people who are still, uh, reading this for information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Semi similar situation here. 3.65 cGPA with a 34 MCAT. All the unspoken EC requirements along with plenty of leadership and research. I had one interview and was rejected (was told by the school I was a great applicant, they just ran out of OOS slots). My issue was that I was complete at most schools in November and had a not-so-great school list...

I'm really curious as to how informed OP actually was about the application process. Why did he fail to get in the first time around? How many schools did he apply to? What was different about his app? Did he do worse on the MCAT last year, but retake it (meaning his 32 may not actually be viewed as a 32 at some schools)? Was it unbalanced? What is/are his state schools? He applied there again, presumably (if not, why not??), but were the other schools private schools or were they OOS state schools where he probably stood no chance even if he was in the 90th percentile for their class overall? When does he consider early for applying? Does that mean he submitted his app on June 1 but dawdled on the secondaries? Were his LoRs in late? Does "early" mean complete in mid-late September?

Otherwise there was clearly a problem somewhere in the app, since 23 schools opted to not even give him an interview. Were those two schools public instate schools?

I'm really curious as to how informed OP actually was about the application process. Why did he fail to get in the first time around? How many schools did he apply to? What was different about his app? Did he do worse on the MCAT last year, but retake it (meaning his 32 may not actually be viewed as a 32 at some schools)? Was it unbalanced? What is/are his state schools? He applied there again, presumably (if not, why not??), but were the other schools private schools or were they OOS state schools where he probably stood no chance even if he was in the 90th percentile for their class overall?

Otherwise there was clearly a problem somewhere in the app, since 23 schools opted to not even give him an interview. Were those two schools public instate schools?

I think a real problem in the app is when you get NO interviews, not two interviews that end in a waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really curious as to how informed OP actually was about the application process. Why did he fail to get in the first time around? How many schools did he apply to? What was different about his app? Did he do worse on the MCAT last year, but retake it (meaning his 32 may not actually be viewed as a 32 at some schools)? Was it unbalanced? What is/are his state schools? He applied there again, presumably (if not, why not??), but were the other schools private schools or were they OOS state schools where he probably stood no chance even if he was in the 90th percentile for their class overall? When does he consider early for applying? Does that mean he submitted his app on June 1 but dawdled on the secondaries? Were his LoRs in late? Does "early" mean complete in mid-late September?

Okay it seems like many of you want more info.

I applied very late in the previous cycle (AMCAS verified in October I believe) which is a big reason why I did not get in. I also had minimal clinical experience. I made it a point to rectify both of those mistakes this time around.

My AMCAS was verified this cycle in late June, and most of my secondaries were complete in late July-mid August. My LORs were on time (I reused the ones from the previous cycle). I did not retake the MCAT. I had a 32 last time around as well (11 Bio/9 Verbal/12 Physical).

I live in California and I'm an ORM, so every state school is extremely difficult to get into. Yes, I was a reapplicant to many of the in-state schools, but honestly all of CA schools were reach schools in the first place, and I was not entirely surprised to be rejected from all of them. My issue is with not getting more "love" from the OOS schools that I applied to. I did quite a bit of research on the best OOS schools to apply to, and only I only bothered with ones that accepted many OOS students and had GPA/MCAT averages near mine. I could list them out but I don't really feel like it, and I assure you I wouldn't be here complaining if I only applied to Harvard/Johns Hopkins type schools. I didn't.

My personal statement and secondaries may not have been the most beautiful pieces of literature ever written, but I put considerable time and thought into them. I mean, I had a whole year to edit and re-edit my PS from the previous cycle, so it definitely was not trash.

I don't know. I really don't. Maybe I am just a statistical anomaly.

Reactions: 1 users

I applied very late in the previous cycle (AMCAS verified in October I believe) which is a big reason why I did not get in. I also had minimal clinical experience. I made it a point to rectify both of those mistakes this time around.

My AMCAS was verified this cycle in late June, and most of my secondaries were complete in late July-mid August. My LORs were on time (I reused the ones from the previous cycle). I did not retake the MCAT. I had a 32 last time around as well (11 Bio/9 Verbal/12 Physical).

I live in California and I'm an ORM, so every state school is extremely difficult to get into. Yes, I was a reapplicant to many of the in-state schools, but honestly all of CA schools were reach schools in the first place, and I was not entirely surprised to be rejected from all of them. My issue is with not getting more "love" from the OOS schools that I applied to. I did quite a bit of research on the best OOS schools to apply to, and only I only bothered with ones that accepted many OOS students and had GPA/MCAT averages near mine. I could list them out but I don't really feel like it, and I assure you I wouldn't be here complaining if I only applied to Harvard/Johns Hopkins type schools. I didn't.

My personal statement and secondaries may not have been the most beautiful pieces of literature ever written, but I put considerable time and thought into them. I mean, I had a whole year to edit and re-edit my PS from the previous cycle, so it definitely was not trash.

Man you're freaking me out with the similarities. This was my first cycle and I applied super late so I'm probably not getting in anywhere. I have the same LizzyM score as you. I'm from MA so thats also a terrible place to apply from. From all the information I've read, it sounds like you're a statistical anomaly, or maybe I'm in denial and need some hope for this coming cycle.

I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you hoped, but keep in mind, about 22% of people with your stats don't get accepted to med school each year.
Unfortunately it happened that you were in that %. But it sounds like you're going to go with the DO acceptance, so hopefully now that you have been able to vent your frustration, I'm sure you'll be able to make the best of that opportunity.

Reactions: 2 users

I feel for you, man. Hopefully and MD acceptance will materialize for you soon. Keep us updated, and big on you for not lashing out at some of the bs that's been spewed here.

I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you hoped, but keep in mind, about 22% of people with your stats don't get accepted to med school each year.
Unfortunately it happened that you were in that %. But it sounds like you're going to go with the DO acceptance, so hopefully now that you have been able to vent your frustration, I'm sure you'll be able to make the best of that opportunity.
Yeah sadly, 1 in 5 is not an anomaly. It just gets harder every year.

Also, you're a CA applicant. This is where luck comes in. That's a terrible state to apply from.

No use in belaboring the point though. You're on MD waitlists and you'll be a physician in four years, regardless of whether you earn an MD or DO. Sounds like a solid deal to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll say...you quoted my unedited post even though I edited it.

Please take your own advice.

Um, I quoted what was there and then moved on. My crystal ball for to-be-edited-posts is broken.

Sequence of events? No? OK....

:wtf:

If you aren't a college senior and if your MCAT was taken in the previous year, then it can be assumed that you are a reapplicant unless proven otherwise. You need not state it on the application; AMCAS knows all. There is a "reapplicant" item on page 1, column 2 of the AMCAS application that I see as an adcom and it can be yes/no or blank. If it is blank, I always assume this is a new applicant to my school and a reapplicant overall.

Maybe I'm misreading your comment, but what about someone who took the MCAT their junior year and then took a gap year? Would it be assumed that such a person is a re-applicant? Also is there anything that adcoms see that tell them that a person is NOT a re-applicant? Just curious because I know some people that took MCAT junior year and plan on taking a gap year.

Maybe I'm misreading your comment, but what about someone who took the MCAT their junior year and then took a gap year? Would it be assumed that such a person is a re-applicant? Also is there anything that adcoms see that tell them that a person is NOT a re-applicant? Just curious because I know some people that took MCAT junior year and plan on taking a gap year.
Those applicants would have a "no" instead of a blank in that column. I take it that blanks result from reapplicants into AMCAS but not individual schools.

Haha... Shoot your better off than my friend. 3.9 GPA 33 MCAT 5 interviews, 4 straight rejections. He's lacking clinical volunteer hours even though he was a scribe for over 2 years.

and that right there is the reason he has no acceptances (and being a scribe doesn't count towards this).

On SDN not having research = mediocre.

Yup. SDN when it comes to premed admissions is so far skewed to the right it's crazy the so-called "advice" that is given. I'm waiting to see someone say that if you don't get into a Top 10 school, you're not worth anything.

Yup. SDN when it comes to premed admissions is so far skewed to the right it's crazy the so-called "advice" that is given. I'm waiting to see someone say that if you don't get into a Top 10 school, you're not worth anything.

They wouldn't say that because SDN is skewed to the left.
They'd say it wasn't worth going. :thumbup:

For the vast majority of MD schools research is a prereq. Just looking at random schools on the MSAR that are not top 20:

Rush > 90% research
FAU >75% research
eastern virginia >80% research
drexel > 80% research
albany > 80% research
UCF >85% research

random unranked schools have over 80% of their class coming in with research experience. And at any school in even like the top 40 its 90%+. By not having research you are automatically in the 10-20th percentile of applicants. Most schools seem to accept more people with no clinical or nonclinical volunteering vs. no research.

Research experience = cleaning lab equipment
Research experience = making gels for PCR

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Bingo

I know great tube cleaners and gel makers.

*trying to figure out how much you're trolling for your own amusement and how much truth you're going to lay down*

I....I don't even ....I can't believe this is really happening.

Pre-Allo gets better every day.

:whoa:
Get off your high horse. I know people like you can click reply very quickly.

Can you please just edit the post where you quoted me?

Such a simple solution.

Bingo

I know great tube cleaners and gel makers.

*trying to figure out how much you're trolling for your own amusement and how much truth you're going to lay down*

Hard to lay down truth, when so many that seem to be high on epsom salts, believe in their own delusions.

Not every lab tech just cleans test tubes.

Some of us publish and get awards, and grants

Yes, but I was referring to slightly gifted's statistics in which >80% participated in "Research".

Research experience = making gels for PCR

So. Damn. True. I think those "Some" of us who get published/awards had to dig and scratch for it too, you have to want it... one of the several reasons why I learned that research wasn't my cup o tea.

So. Damn. True. I think those "Some" of us who get published/awards had to dig and scratch for it too, you have to want it... one of the several reasons why I learned that research wasn't my cup o tea.

It's a vicious circle to claw to get research experience, while only being an undergrad (and thus having no experience), in the realm of obtaining research grants and getting your name as an author on publications (with even the latter even able to be gamed).

I love research. I designed, built, and ran my own experiment. Too bad the schools that are within my reach are not research heavy institutes.

Get off your high horse. I know people like you can click reply very quickly.

Can you please just edit the post where you quoted me?

Such a simple solution.

Grow the f*ck up.
You said something you wish you wouldn't have said and got caught. I wasn't trying to catch you. I'm not editing what you said.
This is life.
The sooner you learn it, the better.

Grow the f*ck up.
You said something you wish you wouldn't have said and got caught. I wasn't trying to catch you. I'm not editing what you said.
This is life.
Wow. Unstable much? I think you should go see someone about that. Dead serious here.

Actually, I have no problem with what I said. I just wanted to avoid conflict by editing it.

Guess what, I got what I was trying to avoid. Big surprise.

I swear, people these days are getting crazier by the second.

Grow the f*ck up.
This is life.

Those freudian slips are a pain, aren't they?

Those freudian slips are a pain, aren't they?
For me, I meant what I said. It is a major issue. I just don't want to start a flame war. But if wwww wants to, that is his prerogative. I am just not going to respond.

For me, I meant what I said. It is a major issue. I just don't want to start a flame war. But if wwww wants to, that is his prerogative. I am just not going to respond.

You have easily earned yourself the title of worst new poster in 2014 over the past few days.

Reactions: 3 users

then your AMCAS application should reflect this and separate you from the others, no worries

Doesn't want to start a flame war! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You have easily earned yourself the title of worst new poster in 2014 over the past few days.

I think Anastomoses could easily compete for that title.

No, I don't see the difference because if we go by numbers, everything except the GPA and MCAT minimum are necessary and everything else is unnecessary, but you're not arguing that. You're arguing that out of all EC activities it is research that is unnecessary. Or are you ready to say his problem would not be volunteering if he had none because all that volunteering does is be beneficial but not necessary?

Shame on you only dude.

What are you babbling about? Volunteering in a clinical and nonclinical framework and shadowing are typically expected to answer the Why Medicine? and altruism questions. Teaching is supplementary and can help. Research and leadership are required by schools that aim to train future leaders in medicine, aka top tier schools. Saying that all schools require research or leadership is grossly inaccurate and I am sure you know this already and hopefully aren't wasting my time pulling my leg.

Activities help. But the essential activities are clinical and nonclinical activities with some other supplementary ECs. Point is, research isn't holding OP back for low tier schools. Something else is, but it's a moot point since OP won't reapply

This has been... an exhausting thread.
roller-coaster.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I think Anastomoses could easily compete for that title.

Actually there's quite the running for that title. rifle(random numbers), xenoblade, anastomoses, twantinsuyu, and a few others. If only we could clear out the trolls from this list so someone who truly deserves such a distinguished title rightly earns it.

Actually there's quite the running for that title. rifle(random numbers), xenoblade, anastomoses, twantinsuyu, and a few others. If only we could clear out the trolls from this list so someone who truly deserves such a distinguished title rightly earns it.
Too bad. I am claiming the crown as of now.

Anastomoses provides gems like rubbing literal sand out of her vagina and then wondering how that's weird. She's loathsome but she provides some entertainment.

Twatinyou or whatever his name is may be our current winner.

Anastomoses provides gems like rubbing literal sand out of her vagina and then wondering how that's weird. She's loathsome but she provides some entertainment.

Twatinyou or whatever his name is may be our current winner.

I was going to write a semi-serious response and then I saw your spelling of twatinyou...and just gave up. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.