Very low GPA, high DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would recommend calculating your GPA to determine your true numbers! I use an excel document to determine my GPA. Otherwise fantastic DAT scores and what are your ECs?

Reactions: 1 user
Your TS score is pretty baller, so it shows that you really do know the material, despite your low grades initially. Calculate your true GPA and if it's below a 3.0, I'd call a few of the admissions offices that you're going to apply to and ask them. They may overlook it, since your DAT scores show you know your stuff.

Also, what are your extracurriculars looking like? Good ECs can be just as important as good grades.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do I calculate my true GPA? Also do they count A+ as 4.33?

I'm part of a few clubs, starting working in a research lab next semester and am going to start my volunteering hours (I know i've been slacking on those but I'll have about 100 before I apply)

Also how important is an upward trend especially if the last two semesters have a 4.0?

I was once in a similar situation. I went from having a 0.8 overall and matriculated with 2.64. My upward trend and DAT were same as yours. You can do it. Don't let your gpa discourage you. Your TS speaks for itself, you know your stuff.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree with Triflate. Upward trend is key for people with low stats. You certainly destroyed the DAT so a big congratulations to you! I am 100% positive that adcoms will look at that favorably if you have an upward trend in GPA.

Reactions: 3 users
How do I calculate my true GPA? Also do they count A+ as 4.33?

I'm part of a few clubs, starting working in a research lab next semester and am going to start my volunteering hours (I know i've been slacking on those but I'll have about 100 before I apply)

Also how important is an upward trend especially if the last two semesters have a 4.0?

You can google some websites to help you calculate your GPA. But be sure to check with AADSAS on how THEY calculate your gpa. For example, my university will ignore your first grade you got in a course, if you retake it. AADSAS does not, so my cGPA was slightly lower than the one from my transcript.

And an upward trend has a GREAT impact on schools. They understand that a lot of students goof off the first year or two, but they want to see that you are focused and mature now. I partied a lot and had a cGPA of 2.8 going into junior year. I never got below a 3.75 after that and graduated with 3.45 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA. Keep up the work in the clubs and if you could work your way to a leadership position within a club, that would look great. Schools like to see you can multitask and succeed in school, while also being active in your school/community.

You can google some websites to help you calculate your GPA. But be sure to check with AADSAS on how THEY calculate your gpa. For example, my university will ignore your first grade you got in a course, if you retake it. AADSAS does not, so my cGPA was slightly lower than the one from my transcript.

And an upward trend has a GREAT impact on schools. They understand that a lot of students goof off the first year or two, but they want to see that you are focused and mature now. I partied a lot and had a cGPA of 2.8 going into junior year. I never got below a 3.75 after that and graduated with 3.45 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA. Keep up the work in the clubs and if you could work your way to a leadership position within a club, that would look great. Schools like to see you can multitask and succeed in school, while also being active in your school/community.

Your cGPA and sGPA are fantastic. I unfortunately might not have as high grades. I just really hope they can see my upward trend and my dedication of picking myself back up after a few rough times in being a successful student.

Excellent job on the DAT, you nailed it! I was in similar situation (24AA and ~3.3 GPA) this time last year and I ended up getting 6 interviews pre-dec (3 more post-dec) and 2 acceptances on Dec 2nd (from two state schools). I think your high DAT is definitely an attention grabber, and combined that with your upward GPA trend, you will definitely have a shot at getting into dental school. Just focus on sharpen up rest of your application (extra-curricular, LOR, PS, and volunteer) and you'll be golden!

Excellent job on the DAT, you nailed it! I was in similar situation (24AA and ~3.3 GPA) this time last year and I ended up getting 6 interviews pre-dec (3 more post-dec) and 2 acceptances on Dec 2nd (from two state schools). I think your high DAT is definitely an attention grabber, and combined that with your upward GPA trend, you will definitely have a shot at getting into dental school. Just focus on sharpen up rest of your application (extra-curricular, LOR, PS, and volunteer) and you'll be golden!
Your GPA is still higher than what mine will end up being. I'm just really scared because my extra curricular isn't that great and I'm not too good of a writer either for a personal statement.

You are definitely a huge motivator though. The only thing I have working for me is my DAT so lets see. My aim is NYU, I wonder if I'm striving too high.

Reactions: 1 user
Those are amazing stats!!

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation.. Started off at a CC and had like a 2.9... a bunch of Ws, a couple Ds and an F.. left school.. joined the Army, came back to school and had a 3.78 for my last 5 semesters of all upper level bio, orgo, etc at a liberal arts school.. we will see how it goes

I should know this but I don't; are you applying this cycle Syedj94?