Very low MCAT need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeterfan2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got back my MCAT scores and got a 21 M (6vr 7 ps 8bs) my cgpa is a 3.7 and sgpa is a 3.6 I don't know what happened and I already sent in my application. Should I rethink my career choice? I know I really want to become a physician but I really feel discouraged..... I feel the MCAT determines if I will become a good doctor or not..... And if I do retake it again (which is next year) any advice on books, study methods etc.... Do I at least have a chance for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got back my MCAT scores and got a 21 M (6vr 7 ps 8bs) my cgpa is a 3.7 and sgpa is a 3.6 I don't know what happened and I already sent in my application. Should I rethink my career choice? I know I really want to become a physician but I really feel discouraged..... I feel the MCAT determines if I will become a good doctor or not..... And if I do retake it again (which is next year) any advice on books, study methods etc.... Do I at least have a chance for DO schools?

You don't have a chance at either.

However, you should not give up. Study the MCAT like it's your job (study everyday). Take practice tests and don't take the real thing until you know you are ready. However, you should only take practice tests after you have review all the material and understood most of the concepts. You know yourself, deep down inside, whether you understand the material or not.

With that GPA, you are obviously smart enough to do decent on the MCAT.

Good luck. :luck:

You have no choice but to retake, so I'd pull any applications that are still active. See the MCAT Discussion Forums for ideas on how to do better. Take a formal classroom prep course. If being a physician is what you want, do not give up. Your GPA proves you have what it takes. There are a lot of inspiring tales here on SDN of people with multiple retakes and multiple application seasons who finally got an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)

It's the Medical College Admission Test not the How Good of a Doctor You Will be Test.

If you really want to be a doctor retake the test after intense prepping and studying.

I would recommend using EK and Kaplan materials. You may want to enroll youself in a prep course if you don't like to self study.

I think you would need to retake it. You may have a slim shot at some Caribbean schools if your interested...