VERY low prereq with decent GPA, good MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROME83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
'm new to this whole thing, and I'm really trying to see if going forward with applying is even worth it. I really screwed up my first two years of undergrad (spring both times) and ended up with some terrible grades in the prereqs, with a C in Calc and Orgo II and a C+ in both Gen Chem I and second semester of calc. I got really good grades in everything else and took a ton of classes, so my cum. gpa is 3.5 and my science is 3.38 (I took like 20 courses that count for science GPA).

It's just frustrating because I know I can do the work. I got a 35 mcat 12B 10P 13V and have great EC's with leadership, good clinicals and worked in a lab for 2.5 years. My Junior year GPA was 3.6, and my senior year GPA was 3.7. I'm now working at the hospital at my university. I was extremely sick during the last part of my sophomore spring and ended up bombing both exams in prereqs (they were on the same day) and my school pretty much left me out to dry because my illness wasn't "debilitating" (I wasn't in the hospital).

I'm trying to decide if it is worth going ahead with the process even with the bad prereq grades. I don't want to be stuck applying and not getting in year after year, but I really see myself heading in that direction. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice I would really appreciate the input. I really just want to go to one of my state school's, preferably ETSU

Members don't see this ad.

Your low GPAs will keep you out of a lot of programs, however your MCAT does make up for it a little bit. I think you are out of reach of top 20 programs, but definitely not out of the game. If I were you, I'd apply to all of my state schools as well as lower-mid tier schools that are OOS friendly.

Good luck!

'm new to this whole thing, and I'm really trying to see if going forward with applying is even worth it. I really screwed up my first two years of undergrad (spring both times) and ended up with some terrible grades in the prereqs, with a C in Calc and Orgo II and a C+ in both Gen Chem I and second semester of calc. I got really good grades in everything else and took a ton of classes, so my cum. gpa is 3.5 and my science is 3.38 (I took like 20 courses that count for science GPA).

It's just frustrating because I know I can do the work. I got a 35 mcat 12B 10P 13V and have great EC's with leadership, good clinicals and worked in a lab for 2.5 years. My Junior year GPA was 3.6, and my senior year GPA was 3.7. I'm now working at the hospital at my university. I was extremely sick during the last part of my sophomore spring and ended up bombing both exams in prereqs (they were on the same day) and my school pretty much left me out to dry because my illness wasn't "debilitating" (I wasn't in the hospital).

I'm trying to decide if it is worth going ahead with the process even with the bad prereq grades. I don't want to be stuck applying and not getting in year after year, but I really see myself heading in that direction. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice I would really appreciate the input. I really just want to go to one of my state school's, preferably ETSU[/QUOTE

You are definitely in a situation. Great job on the MCAT, it for sure shows that you are not dumb. Your GPA is low, but not abysmal. Solid EC's and really good essays will be key as well. If I were you, I would apply this cycle without doing any sort of postbac program. I hate when people waste money on additional pointless education. You will most likely not get into a "top 20" with your GPA--unless you are URM, in which case you would have a solid shot. But you do have a reasonable shot at your state school and other private programs. If going to these kind of schools is palatable to you, i think you will be successful (and heres the secret, when you get in, kill it, and you will go into whatever you want). Good luck bud, keep us updated with what you decide to do :)

and for what it is worth, you are golden for DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you do apply, I know that admission committees do take note of upward trend. But if you still do not feel confident with your GPA you could do a post bac program to boost your GPA. But sick mcat, especially your verbal.

Thanks for the input, I'm planning on retaking orgo and at least one math class at my state university the summer before I end up applying again, which should help my case somewhat. I just really worry about being rejected out of hand because of the poor prereqs. I'm also wondering if an SMP like Georgetown or Cinci would be of any value. I really don't want to do that unless I have to because of the cost, but if that was the only way then I would be open to that route. Thoughts?

Anybody? I'm really trying to figure out if I should do an SMP type program or just retake some prereqs and upper science courses at my state university. I'm going todo whatever it takes to ace them this time, but if an SMP woud do more for methan just imprve my undergrad gpa then I would rather go that route. The only issue is the cost, which isn't a dealbreaker, but I'd rather not pay for the SMP if there's a better way. I just really don't have a clear idea of where to go from here

Concur strongly here, and want to add that you're solid for any DO school. Good luck!

Your low GPAs will keep you out of a lot of programs, however your MCAT does make up for it a little bit. I think you are out of reach of top 20 programs, but definitely not out of the game. If I were you, I'd apply to all of my state schools as well as lower-mid tier schools that are OOS friendly.

Good luck!

Concur strongly here, and want to add that you're solid for any DO school. Good luck!

+1, apply. 35 mcat? if you apply wisely and early and arent super picky ill bet you get in somewhere as long as your other factors are fine.

This HAS to be a troll

3.5 gpa and 35 MCAT and you're worried? You are everything I hate about SDN

This HAS to be a troll

3.5 gpa and 35 MCAT and you're worried? You are everything I hate about SDN

Chill out. It's easy to come on sdn and get intimidated by people saying you have to have a mid 30's MCAT and a 3.8 to even have a decent chance. Those are the people you should get upset at.

And to the OP, as long as you have taken upper level coursework in the prereq subjects and done well I'm sure you will be fine. Like someone else said, your MCAT proves you are smart, you will just need to prove to the adcoms that you are motivated/not lazy. Your upward trend speaks a lot toward that.

Yeah SDN is full of neurotic gunners. Average is considered laughable to some on here. You are fine kid