very quick question on applying for internships/residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reggie10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's probably way too early for me to start worrying about stuff like this (I'm a second-year), but I was hoping someone could clear something up for me.

When applying to an internship or residency, is there ever information you need to submit beyond what is entered into VIRMP? Kind of like how many schools have a supplemental application in addition to VMCAS? I'm just wondering what all parts of the application entail (beyond just VIRMP) so I can focus my energy on the right things over the next couple of years.

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

It's probably way too early for me to start worrying about stuff like this (I'm a second-year), but I was hoping someone could clear something up for me.

When applying to an internship or residency, is there ever information you need to submit beyond what is entered into VIRMP? Kind of like how many schools have a supplemental application in addition to VMCAS? I'm just wondering what all parts of the application entail (beyond just VIRMP) so I can focus my energy on the right things over the next couple of years.

Thanks everyone.

I don't know the answer to that specific q as pathology doesn't go through the match (we're an outdated bunch in that sense), but the bolded is incorrect. It's never to early to prepare in terms of experience, externships, networking, etc. Start early.

The vast majority of SA rotating internships just require the standard VIRMP application package. Most SA residencies also only require the VIRMP package, some may require the GRE if a graduate degree is part of the residency program, but that's the only exception I've seen. Not sure how it differs for LA internships/residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont remember any internships requiring transcripts, but i think one or two of the ECC residency programs wanted transcripts for the grad school part of the residency. otherwise, i cant think of anything else i've seen asked for. HOWEVER, not all fields go through the match, even for small animal specialties

What kind of internship are you interested in? Like SS brought up most SA are through the match, most LA and equine are through networking, externships, and AAEP avenues. It is never too early to start preparing for internships if that is something you are interested in/

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess the whole process is simpler than I thought.

What kind of internship are you interested in?

Dentistry/oral surgery for small animals. I'm currently looking for places in the northeast where I can get some good externship experience in dentistry next summer.

For both my internship and residency (both academic), I had to submit the personal statement, letters, CV, transcripts, and interests. Some requested an interview (Skype or in person).

No matter which route you go, private or academic, I recommend visiting. They like to see your face. Equine private practice requires it.