MD & DO Very Unique 3.1c/2.9s/29MCAT (Where to apply?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trpoperon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Go for it with any thoughts you guys have and any schools I should add to my list.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you are trolling, but in the assumption you are not:

Your scores are too low for both MD and DO programs. You have hardship but so do many other applicants whose scores are higher. Your ECs are insufficient. I see no clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, or shadowing. You need to pull your GPA up before any school will want to take a look at you. You will also need to fill in the gaps in your ECs. Again, assuming you're not a troll.

I am not sure if you are trolling, but in the assumption you are not:

Your scores are too low for both MD and DO programs. You have hardship but so do many other applicants whose scores are higher. Your ECs are insufficient. I see no clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, or shadowing. You need to pull your GPA up before any school will want to take a look at you. You will also need to fill in the gaps in your ECs. Again, assuming you're not a troll.
Low or not I have already sent in applications and just need to add schools. I look at ranges for schools and every year people with lower stats than mine have gotten in including at Georgetown, Michigan, Yale, Columbia, and Case Western. MCAT is high enough for DO I think.

EC are great actually. A lot of volunteering in college. Published an abstract (Clinical Research). Was an undergraduate TA in a course. Have done some shadowing but got plenty of exposure in clinic when I did research and now where I work. GPA is only problem and at this point I would spend this year with apps, then spend a year retaking classes, Studying for the new MCAT, and then have another GAP year to apply again while also accruing more and more debt, so I am going for it. I am already in my late 20s.

Given that, do any schools jump to mind that I should supplement to my primary list?
Do you still have the same opinion given good ECs and decent MCAT with only a low GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be screened out of many(most) of those MD schools. I personally wouldn't waste any money on secondaries for MD schools. You may have a chance at DO schools but that sGPA is very low. DO GPAs have gone up every year and yours are low. But your MCAT is fine for DO.

Low or not I have already sent in applications and just need to add schools. I look at ranges for schools and every year people with lower stats than mine have gotten in including at Georgetown, Michigan, Yale, Columbia, and Case Western. MCAT is high enough for DO I think.

EC are great actually. A lot of volunteering in college. Published an abstract (Clinical Research). Was an undergraduate TA in a course. Have done some shadowing but got plenty of exposure in clinic when I did research and now where I work. GPA is only problem and at this point I would spend this year with apps, then spend a year retaking classes, Studying for the new MCAT, and then have another GAP year to apply again while also accruing more and more debt, so I am going for it. I am already in my late 20s.

Given that, do any schools jump to mind that I should supplement to my primary list?
Do you still have the same opinion given good ECs and decent MCAT with only a low GPA?
The individuals who get into top schools with comparable stats are combat veterans, Olympic athletes, etc. Your ECs are fine but not as unique as you think unfortunately. I think you have a shot at DO schools.

Do you know how hard it is to get into a MD school nowadays? You might have a shot at some DO schools, but do not apply to MD schools unless you are URM.

MD 0 chance. DO even chances are slim. Best of luck.

Even on top of the fact that you are not a competitive applicant for MD at all, the 10th percentile values for many of the schools you listed are about 3.6/32 (or higher). You are well below both. I would not waste money on completing secondaries to many of the MD schools on your list.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not waste money on completing secondaries to many of the MD schools on your list.

I second this. Especially if you are truly financially handcuffed like you say you are.

@OP lol what type of "tier 1" school did you get into w/ a 21 ACT as an ORM haha

Applying to top tiers w/ a 3.1/2.9/29? I'm inclined to agree w/ the troll accusations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You will be screened out of many(most) of those MD schools. I personally wouldn't waste any money on secondaries for MD schools. You may have a chance at DO schools but that sGPA is very low. DO GPAs have gone up every year and yours are low. But your MCAT is fine for DO.
Thanks

The individuals who get into top schools with comparable stats are combat veterans, Olympic athletes, etc. Your ECs are fine but not as unique as you think unfortunately. I think you have a shot at DO schools.
I will exhaust both routes.

Do you know how hard it is to get into a MD school nowadays? You might have a shot at some DO schools, but do not apply to MD schools unless you are URM.
Do you know of what particular DO schools?

MD 0 chance. DO even chances are slim. Best of luck.
I wouldn't say 0, but thanks.

Even on top of the fact that you are not a competitive applicant for MD at all, the 10th percentile values for many of the schools you listed are about 3.6/32 (or higher). You are well below both. I would not waste money on completing secondaries to many of the MD schools on your list.
I try not to concern myself with money.

I second this. Especially if you are truly financially handcuffed like you say you are.
Thanks.

@OP lol what type of "tier 1" school did you get into w/ a 21 ACT as an ORM haha

Applying to top tiers w/ a 3.1/2.9/29? I'm inclined to agree w/ the troll accusations.
The lol and the haha is a little insensitive. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

It's a teaching moment. Going from a 2.9 -> 32. doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 2.9 -> 37, yes. OP needs a post-bac/SMP.

if he's not a troll, the schools will appreciate the donations in the form of his app fees.

In order to reinvent one's self for med school, one has to ace things, not Beese them.