Vet experience in Philly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lahdeedahh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just started on this whole pre-vet course thing and am looking for places in Philly (specifically south Philly) that will take on a person with little to no experience. Also I don't have a license so I can't really drive...so commute is the only way.

I am currently volunteering at PennVet but it's not much of an experience cause it's only stocking but I do get to listen in on cases. I do have a spot in the animal care internship over at the Academy of Natural Sciences but that's not until next spring ( I believe that this doesn't count for vet experience though). I am also aware of the zoo internship but my GPA doesn't meet the requirements....yet.

So if you know of any places....please let me know? Thanks :happy:

Members don't see this ad.

Look into the local shelters (PAWS, ACCT, Philly SPCA, etc). If you're up for a commute (not sure if there is a direct train/bus line), the Delco SPCA ( in Media --20 min drive from University City) has some pretty awesome vets who would probably let you shadow.

Also, just contact some vet offices and ask to shadow for a day to start with. If they say yes, when you go in, ask questions (when timing is appropriate), help clean up and let them know you enjoyed your visit and would like to come again and go from there.