Vet gap year abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kms285

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to PhD/DVM combined programs, and I would like to come up with a backup plan in case I do not get accepted this year. I know my veterinary experience is weak, so I would need to spend time with a veterinarian. I am currently working on my Master's thesis in equine nutrition.

I am been dreaming of a year spent in an English or Spanish speaking country, working with a veterinarian. I have technical research skills and it would be great if I could use them, but the experience would have to count as veterinary experience. I cannot pay a fee for the experience, and I am hoping that my post-graduate education will allow me to find a paid position.

I think larger organizations would be better able to sponsor my visa. I have peeked at zoos and veterinary schools but not found anything like what I am looking for.

Does anyone have any ideas for avenues that I can look into?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying to PhD/DVM combined programs, and I would like to come up with a backup plan in case I do not get accepted this year. I know my veterinary experience is weak, so I would need to spend time with a veterinarian. I am currently working on my Master's thesis in equine nutrition.

I am been dreaming of a year spent in an English or Spanish speaking country, working with a veterinarian. I have technical research skills and it would be great if I could use them, but the experience would have to count as veterinary experience. I cannot pay a fee for the experience, and I am hoping that my post-graduate education will allow me to find a paid position.

I think larger organizations would be better able to sponsor my visa. I have peeked at zoos and veterinary schools but not found anything like what I am looking for.

Does anyone have any ideas for avenues that I can look into?

I think you have to consider what specifically you can offer someone/some organization, and then look to who might be interested in that. Otherwise, why would anyone sponsor your visa, let alone pay you, when they could find local help instead?
What makes you different from other Master's students locally (that someone can hire without all the paperwork)? Information? Skills? Language? etc.

I'm not sure your ideal scenario is possible...as Calliope mentions, there will be little incentive for a foreign country to go through the VISA process/pay for you, especially for only a year. I think it's more realistic to either a) go to a country of your choice and perhaps shadow a vet while you're there, unpaid or b) find a job state-side with a veterinarian and just take a more limited vacation time to a country of your choice.