Vet School Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pomeranian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it generally acceptable or looked down upon if vet school interviewees are very focused on only one side of vet med during interviews? For example, if I am keen on pursuing clinical small animal med, and I answer "What are some traits valued in a veterinarian?" based on traits I value in a clinical small animal vet (which may not apply to other areas of vet med such as lab animal vets, like compassion for clients), would my answer be frowned upon for not being open-minded enough to other areas of vet med?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it'd be looked down on. But I think most things that I'd list as "good traits for a veterinarian" kind of apply to all facets of it. Communication, willingness to learn, attention to detail, etc. In general, I think it'd be better to come across as more open minded, but if you legitimately only have experience in one field, then you'd be better off speaking from that experience.

Is it generally acceptable or looked down upon if vet school interviewees are very focused on only one side of vet med during interviews? For example, if I am keen on pursuing clinical small animal med, and I answer "What are some traits valued in a veterinarian?" based on traits I value in a clinical small animal vet (which may not apply to other areas of vet med such as lab animal vets, like compassion for clients), would my answer be frowned upon for not being open-minded enough to other areas of vet med?
Compassion still has to be present, just in different ways. Compassion for the scientists whose research and livelihood may be affected by the illness/injury/treatment of their research animals, etc. ;) Compassion doesn't just get thrown out the window if you decide to become a lab animal vet :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^ haha, I meant compassion for pet owners when I said compassion for clients. I totally see where you're coming from. Sorry if my statement was offensive in any way! Thanks for the input guys :).