Vet School Rants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was out on our ambulatory rotation today and felt much more competent. I'll just hang in til clinics and hope for the best (and continue to pass my classes, God willing!) Thanks for the support, everyone! It was a crap day with a series of boohiss events. :biglove: :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll keep you posted. The one course has ended and the other is clin path.

Yes, those are E raised to the VIL to the nth degree.

We haven't had a test yet (just quizzes like every week), but I kind of like clin path and can try to help if you need it. No promises though. I'm not always great at explaining things. Do you guys use Diagnostic Pathfinder?

Members don't see this ad :)
We haven't had a test yet (just quizzes like every week), but I kind of like clin path and can try to help if you need it. No promises though. I'm not always great at explaining things. Do you guys use Diagnostic Pathfinder?
I like it too (despite my subpar MCQ test taking abilities). I will definitely let you know :) Thank you for the offer!! We don't? What is this Diagnostic Pathfinder you speak of?

a and b, a and c, b and c, etc... also love it when the question says which is true (or false) and then gives 4-5 completely unrelated answers

This is what ours was like the answers were completely unrelated. You had to know 5 different factoids for each question. It was hell.

I like it too (despite my subpar MCQ test taking abilities). I will definitely let you know :) Thank you for the offer!! We don't? What is this Diagnostic Pathfinder you speak of?

I forget what school it's through, but it's a program out entire class uses. For example, our first lectures where on RBCs. Then we were assigned like 4 cases on RBCs in DP. The cases give you a history and signalment and any sort of PE findings. The next page gives you a CBC/Chem, Urinalysis, etc. You pick whether the value is within range and then give it the appropriate term. All findings then get made into these little drag and drop tiles that you organize into a pathway/mechanism on the next page. You can be as specific as you want, or as general as you want, when explaining why a certain thing happens. Once you have you mechanism done, you come up with a diagnosis and then submit to see how close you get to the actual mechanism. It's definitely busy work at times, but it's been helpful with connecting things.

Eh, I don't mind those so much. What drives me nuts are the ones where you have a), b), c), and then the answer choices are a and b, b and c, all of the above, none of the above.

When I am Benevolent Dictator of the Earth, "none of the above" will not be allowed to be an answer.

Reactions: 4 users
When I am Benevolent Dictator of the Earth, "none of the above" will not be allowed to be an answer.
we had an exam recently with "all of the above," "none of the above" and "a and c" type answers as a computerized exam. the professor forgot to click to lock the answer choices in place so in the program scrambling, there was some lovely out of order answers (it's really fun when one of the choices includes an actual answer and none of the above!)

I was out on our ambulatory rotation today and felt much more competent. I'll just hang in til clinics and hope for the best (and continue to pass my classes, God willing!) Thanks for the support, everyone! It was a crap day with a series of boohiss events. :biglove: :biglove:
The flow chart idea I mentioned before works brilliantly for clin path. Also our freaking awesome clin path professors put out really helpful you tube videos explaining everything. Look for those by Nicole Weinstein and Katie Boes.

Ok, crazy cat lady professor, I understand you really like cats and are passionate about making them comfortable in the vet clinic, but....

-A two hour lecture on how to make the vet clinic "cat friendly" is a bit over the top, especially when you move through the lecture at a snail's pace and a bunch of the lecture is a repeat from a previous lecture given to us last year.
-Making cat noises in lecture is really not necessary, yes the first time was kind of silly and some people laughed, but spending a good minute or two making cat noises is to the point of me thinking you need a straight jacket.
-When asking the class if we want a 5 minute break during the lecture (because it was 2 hours long), do not refer to the bathroom as "the litterbox" and don't tell us when we get back to class that you will often go to places and ask where is "the litterbox". You can be passionate about cats without being crazy.

Yes, I really do think you might need a straight jacket, or a crazy cat lady anonymous club... something.

So this same professor started our toxicology lectures today with a story about how she became interested in poisons/toxins at a young age when she attempted to poison her stepfather.... with jam made out of deadly nightshade. I just don't even know what to think....:cyclops:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So this same professor started our toxicology lectures today with a story about how she became interested in poisons/toxins at a young age when she attempted to poison her stepfather.... with jam made out of deadly nightshade. I just don't even know what to think....:cyclops:
You should've run screaming out of the lecture hall. For dramatic effect ;)

The flow chart idea I mentioned before works brilliantly for clin path. Also our freaking awesome clin path professors put out really helpful you tube videos explaining everything. Look for those by Nicole Weinstein and Katie Boes.
Checking these out. Thank you so much for the share :)

Members don't see this ad :)
:scared::uhno::wtf: thats scary!!

I've been on foal watch since December and they haven't had one foal come in. I have an exam early in the AM tomorrow and I'm on call from 2 AM - 6 AM and now they have a foal come in :rolleyes: I'm happy that I actually get to see something, but now?!

should invite her for tea and offer her some jam on toast and a wink ^_^

I wish my non-vet friends would learn how to properly respond to my panic over exams when they ask how things are going. "You'll do fine!" Or "I bet you aced it!" are not suitable responses to me legitimately worrying about whether I will pass an exam or not. I have this one friend in particular who I avoid talking about school with because it makes me want to choke him when he blows off my stress and trivializes the amount of work I am doing! I know he thinks he's helping but he's not. At least my boyfriend is good to talk to when I'm stressed. He always says the right things and makes me keep wanting to study.

Last edited:
Per our syllabus, one of the classes were' starting this week won't record any of the lectures. Pretty much every other lecture has the audio recorded so you can relisten to lectures later. I'm super annoyed because I learn by relistening to lectures and don't like asking questions in the middle of class because we always get behind.

Per our syllabus, one of the classes were' starting this week won't record any of the lectures. Pretty much every other lecture has the audio recorded so you can relisten to lectures later. I'm super annoyed because I learn by relistening to lectures and don't like asking questions in the middle of class because we always get behind.
Are you allowed to record it yourself? I've done that for a few classes that don't podcast. Nice part is that I can write down the exact time on the recording when I know I missed something that I want to re-listen to.

Are you allowed to record it yourself? I've done that for a few classes that don't podcast. Nice part is that I can write down the exact time on the recording when I know I missed something that I want to re-listen to.
If you sit near the front and have a mic on your laptop, the newer versions of onenote will record and even sync the audio to when you took notes. I would get real pissy if I was told I couldn't have lecture capture, haha.

If you sit near the front and have a mic on your laptop, the newer versions of onenote will record and even sync the audio to when you took notes. I would get real pissy if I was told I couldn't have lecture capture, haha.
I take notes on my ipad and notability has the same feature. Love it! I sit in the middle to back area and it even records clearly from there. Our professors are all mic'd though.

Generally if they don't record lectures, it's because the professor specifically doesn't want to be recorded. I also don't sit near the front, so I'm not sure it will turn out well.

There is a reason why people should not be allowed to go to vet school/professional school at 18. There is a reason why people need to have spent some time in a college or working or doing something outside of the equivalent of high school prior to going into a professional school. That is all.

There is a reason why people should not be allowed to go to vet school/professional school at 18. There is a reason why people need to have spent some time in a college or working or doing something outside of the equivalent of high school prior to going into a professional school. That is all.
I applied when I was 19 and started when I was 20... Definitely couldn't have done this as an 18-year old and I frequently find myself thinking "She's 26 years old! Why am I the mature one here?!"

I applied when I was 19 and started when I was 20... Definitely couldn't have done this as an 18-year old and I frequently find myself thinking "She's 26 years old! Why am I the mature one here?!"

The vast majority of my class are 19-21 years old currently in second year. They literally want everything their way. They want the exam to be when they want it to be, they want the exact amount of time to study that they want. There are a few of the older people acting the same way, but the vast majority of them are young and have never had t compromise for anything before (or so it seems).

My repro phys prof pronounces estradiol as "es-tra-deeeeee-ol".

*twitch* *twitch*

My repro phys prof pronounces estradiol as "es-tra-deeeeee-ol".

*twitch* *twitch*

He keeps saying it over and over and I can feel the annoyance creep higher and higher and I think I'm going to lose it.

I'm going to lose my **** over this word.

So, for every exam we usually get a one week "reading" week prior to it. That is basically one week with no lectures/practicals/etc; just a week to focus on material and study. Next year, first semester exams are right after we get back from Christmas break (basically 3 weeks to study, which is during the break and sucks but whatever). So, people don't want to have to study during break (I don't really want to either but will if I have to). They want to be able to have a week off before the exams when we get back in January to study, but in order to do that they will have to shorten equine med from 4 weeks to 3 weeks, but they don't want that either. So, the other option was to squish classes together during the first semester and have exams before Christmas break, it will be tight and there will be some long days but it can be done. But people don't want that because "squeezing" it in and only having the reading week to study seems very stressful.... umm, ok, not sure how that is any more stressful than anything else. So someone came up with a third option... have one exam before Christmas and the other after Christmas. Ok, not only is this the dumbest option yet, it actually makes the entire situation worse. Not only are you NOT getting a reading week (which was the point of the whole thing to begin with) but you are having to take an exam with NO time off to study and take an exam after Christmas (which is what no one really wanted to begin with). So you just went from stress from studying during break to stress from having things compacted in quickly to stress both before Christmas AND during Christmas.... +pissed+

And there is zero want to compromise anywhere by any of them. They just seem to want a magic *poof* your exam is now before Christmas and you get a week to study for it and we won't squeeze in the lectures faster.... :mad:+pissed+:bang:

He keeps saying it over and over and I can feel the annoyance creep higher and higher and I think I'm going to lose it.

I'm going to lose my **** over this word.

Dystocia in the UK is spelled dystokia (it is pronounced with the "k" sound too). I think it is the only word that is spelled and pronounced differently here that has actually really made me want to throw things.

Dystocia in the UK is spelled dystokia (it is pronounced with the "k" sound too). I think it is the only word that is spelled and pronounced differently here that has actually really made me want to throw things.

Wow, I don't even know how I would say it with a "k". Do you say "kia" like "key-ah"?

The way some people say skeletal drove me insane. I could take the others but not that one.

This. And capillary.

There's a large Canadian/American difference on this, I think.

Lemme see if I have it right, this crap has blended together for me.

ca-PILL-ary = Canadian
CAP-illary = American

right?

There's a large Canadian/American difference on this, I think.

Lemme see if I have it right, this crap has blended together for me.

ca-PILL-ary = Canadian
CAP-illary = American

right?

That's correct. The Canadian version makes me twitch a little. :p

That's correct. The Canadian version makes me twitch a little. :p

I caught such a hard time in MN when I first put up my hand to answer a question and pronounced it the way I did.

"ESCALLA! LEARN HOW TO SPEAK FREAKING ENGLISH!!!"

lol

Yes, dis to kia

I feel like I might have actually seen this in my notes at some point and was like "dystokia...what is that?"
A lot of our professors say tra-key-ya. It's always caught me a little by surprise when it's the professors who were born in the US but went to school in the UK or Ireland.

I feel like I might have actually seen this in my notes at some point and was like "dystokia...what is that?"
A lot of our professors says tra-key-ya. It's always caught me a little by surprise when it's the professors who were born in the US but went to school in the UK or Ireland.

Yes, trachea is another good example.... I always am like... huh? It isn't even spelled the way that they say it...

Oh god, you guys are singing my anthem.. I say tra-key-ea, cor-nee-ah, ca-pill-ary.. Trying to think of any more. Oh, cerv-eye-cal. Since I rarely have my accent come out, people pick up on it a lot.

ya'll crack me up - we have all sorts of foreign accents and professors here, this is so common for us! i'm pretty sure several of these are part of my vocabulary now too...

also, it's res-peer-e-tree :p

I recently took an online Equine Nutrition course (Coursera.com) taught by Edinburgh's Dr. Jo-Ann Murray and some of her pronunciations totally caught me off guard..

Glad I'm not alone! haha. One of our musculoskeletal profs is from Scotland (and he's awesome) but he definitely uses the "ska-leee-tal" and "ca-PILL-ary" and they threw me off at first but now it makes me laugh. Also with OCD he says "DI-seccans", not DESS-icans. He also calls us out when we use the American pronunciation when asking questions... :laugh: