Vet School Science Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

safthegiraffe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know that the VMCAS list all of our pre-reqs, but they don't specify on Physics due to it being labeled as just "Physics". Is it General Physics that is needed which is Calculus based, or can it be Intro to Physics which is algebra based? Also, is public speaking considered a writing intensive course?

Members don't see this ad.

I took algebra-based physics and it was fine, most schools specify that either algebra-based or calc-based is acceptable. As with anything, double check the websites of the schools that you are applying for, but I don't know of any off the top of my head that specifically require calc-based. Public speaking would probably not be a writing intensive course, at least the way it was taught at my undergrad/most undergrad institutions.

Hi everyone! I know that the VMCAS list all of our pre-reqs, but they don't specify on Physics due to it being labeled as just "Physics". Is it General Physics that is needed which is Calculus based, or can it be Intro to Physics which is algebra based? Also, is public speaking considered a writing intensive course?
Agree with @Cephal0pod with respect to subject matter of the physics course - i.e., when in doubt, verify with each school before you enroll in the physics course.

Concerning public speaking class (and depending on the format, expectations and protocol of the class, including grading criteria, and the instructor's policies), a public speaking class might require a lot of writing.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Are you able to look at a course syllabus for the public speaking class in which you plan to enroll?

If yes, the course syllabus will probably provide you with a good idea about how much writing might be required (or not be required) in the class.

Alternatively ...

2. You can also ask students (who have already completed the same class) to describe *how much* writing was involved in the course, etc.

For instance: you may be required to submit a written outline of each speech to the instructor. You may be required to conduct library research in connection with the topic of your speech; and the library research may need to be written in your notes and outlines before you deliver the speech. Thereafter, you may be required to write an analysis of your audience's response to your delivery (e.g., observations, outcome, weaknesses, strengths, suggestions for improvement, etc.). You may also be expected to write a self-critique in which you evaluate/assess the delivery of your speech. Anyway, you get the idea.

In summary, some public speaking classes can be challenging, labor intensive and time-consuming. So, be prepared just in case you're enrolled in such a class.

Thank you.

@safthegiraffe You shouldn't have to guess as the whether or not any given course you took is or is not writing intensive. Classes that are 'writing intensive' are designated as such when you enroll in them. If you are guessing, schools will most likely double check that information with your transcript or with your school.