Vet Schools that accept lower gpas...3.1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheena11vet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is Sheena and I live in TN. I have applied to University of TN vet school multiple times and never even got an interview. I recently got accepted into St. George University for Jan. 2011. I plan to go and was very happy to get in somewhere, but kinda bummed that it was not a AVMA accredited school and that I have to leave the United States.
I have never applied to an other schools in the US except UT, logic being that I live in Tennessee so if I can't get in my own state's vet school then I probably had no chance anywhere else. Then I got to thinking: what if my logic is wrong. I would really appreciate any lists or advice on schools that accept students with lower gpas. I have a 3.1 with a Biology major. Also have 5 years of working with a veterinarian. Ive heard Kansas was a good choice, but their gpa statistics were around that of 3.5. any help is appreciated. As of now I will be moving to grenada to be a vet.:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

welcome to SDN!

a few things

1) congrats on getting into st. georges!

2) you are not supposed to post the same thing in multiple forums. your chances of getting responses are higher in the pre-vet forum. i would only post in the vet forum if it is something only current students can answer

3) i'm not sure what the point is to knowing other OOS schools that may accept a lower GPA. if you applied to OOS schools this year, you won't hear from most schools until after you have already moved to Grenada to start in Jan.

I couldnt say for sure which schools accept lower GPAs, but I do know some schools that will not accept something like a 3.1 (IL and MO). A lot of times the people who get accepted OOS with lower GPAs have a huge amount of experience and great eLORs. Anyway, unless you plan on not attending St. Georges next year there is really no way to apply and hear before you would have to move. So I would just be happy that you WILL be a vet!! You can always transfer out of St. Georges later if you wish. congrats again!

I am happy that I was accepted and if there is no other way I will move to Grenada. However, if there was a reasonable chance that I could get accepted into an AVMA college: I could delay one semester on moving to Grenada; in hopes of staying in the US. and srry about posting in more than one. wont do that no more. ill try to find a way to delete the one in the vet forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always transfer out of St. Georges later if you wish. congrats again!

Just a word of caution, and I'm sure that VeganChick would be a good one to chime in on this - do not go to a Caribbean school with this intention in mind. The seats to transfer to US schools are very limited each year, and there are not enough for all of the applicants trying to transfer. If you go to SGU you need to be prepared to finish at SGU.

BlacKAT is right though in that you likely won't be hearing back from any US schools before you have to leave for SGU if you decide to apply to US schools this cycle. So that's up to you to make that choice. It's a risk, for sure.

Without knowing anything else about you - there are people here who have gotten in with a 3.1 and lower, and IIRC UTK initially selects their interviewees through a fairly straightforward "numbers" process so if you're a unique applicant in some other way and/or have an above average GRE score you might do better to apply to some OOS schools that look at the whole application from the very beginning. Western comes to mind as one off the top of my head.

BlacKAT should also know that not initially getting into your IS does not mean that you can't get into an OOS school. ;)

If you have good GRE scores and good experience, you may still be competitive for some stateside schools. Western in particular is known for placing less emphasis on GPA. Another thing to consider is your last 45 semester hours GPA. KSU, for one, looks at this instead of your cumulative GPA. You can't do a lot about your cumulative if you have a lot of credits already (e.g. a bachelor's degree), but you can do quite a bit about your last 45. A 3.1 cumulative is lower than average but not a deal-breaker in itself.

No one can really tell you what your chances are of getting in somewhere else. It depends not only on your stats, but also on who else is applying that application cycle, and what the school is looking for.

Have you talked to TN about what you need to do to improve your application? Is what they have suggested possible for you?

There are many people who apply in state and get rejected and get accepted out of state (there's a thread somewhere).

I don't know what the process is for transfering into vet school, but you may be better off starting off at St. George, getting steller grades, and then trying to transfer.

If you go to St George you'll be starting vet school!!! So exciting!!! I would say if you don't like it there or if you still want to be at an AVMA then transfer. I also don't know what St George's policy is on deferring, it may not be possible to defer, so I would definitely check that out before you make any decisions

If you have good GRE scores and good experience, you may still be competitive for some stateside schools. Western in particular is known for placing less emphasis on GPA. Another thing to consider is your last 45 semester hours GPA. KSU, for one, looks at this instead of your cumulative GPA. You can't do a lot about your cumulative if you have a lot of credits already (e.g. a bachelor's degree), but you can do quite a bit about your last 45. A 3.1 cumulative is lower than average but not a deal-breaker in itself.

Just a word of caution, and I'm sure that VeganChick would be a good one to chime in on this - do not go to a Caribbean school with this intention in mind. The seats to transfer to US schools are very limited each year, and there are not enough for all of the applicants trying to transfer. If you go to SGU you need to be prepared to finish at SGU.

BlacKAT is right though in that you likely won't be hearing back from any US schools before you have to leave for SGU if you decide to apply to US schools this cycle. So that's up to you to make that choice. It's a risk, for sure.

Without knowing anything else about you - there are people here who have gotten in with a 3.1 and lower, and IIRC UTK initially selects their interviewees through a fairly straightforward "numbers" process so if you're a unique applicant in some other way and/or have an above average GRE score you might do better to apply to some OOS schools that look at the whole application from the very beginning. Western comes to mind as one off the top of my head.

BlacKAT should also know that not initially getting into your IS does not mean that you can't get into an OOS school. ;)

:D

This is true, it is very competitive to transfer and it is not guaranteed.

And yes, I do know first hand that it is possible to get into OOS vs IS!!!! (there is also another thread about this) You mentioned delaying for a semester, i dont know much about this but if you can easily do it that would be a good idea. Then you can have one more shot at US schools. Pick your OOS schools wisely though. You should spend hrs going through the accepted applicant stats and looking at people with low GPAs, the schools they got into or interviews for...and also if you have enough experience to compete like they did.

Keep in mind it may not be your GPA holding you back. Make sure your eLORs are good, spend a lot of time on your PS and have many other people look at it.

Honestly, if you don't have enough experience (quantity and variety of diff fields) then I don't think it is worth applying OOS. if you have a lot of experience in many fields then give it a shot!

edit: also..how are your GREs? they can help you. even if you did poorly/avg in one, if you got near perfect in another that is good...especially quantitative

Last edited:
I am from TN and didn't get into UT (waitlisted) but I got accepted out of state. Never assume that you can't get in somewhere else!

You know I was all for going out of the US, but then I started talking to many people who got in stateside with lower GPA's. If you just keep working hard getting experience, great letters of rec, and the best GRE score you can eventually someone will notice. I would be going to the Caribbean if I didn't think that eventually i would get in to a US school. It will happen!

Thanks for all the advice. My GRE scores are not the greatest... 400quant/400verbal 4.5 writing. i could take the gre again but really dont want to. i dont seem to do well on stand tests. i have all ready been accepted into SGU vet school so at least i know there IS a way. I am def willing to move to Grenada and if i want to transfur and have that option then I may. I was just wondering what, if any schools were more lenient on gpas. I have alot of animal experience and good eLORS. I also interview very well. Where is Western? Im not familiar with it.

Thanks for all the advice. My GRE scores are not the greatest... 400quant/400verbal 4.5 writing. i could take the gre again but really dont want to. i dont seem to do well on stand tests. i have all ready been accepted into SGU vet school so at least i know there IS a way. I am def willing to move to Grenada and if i want to transfur and have that option then I may. I was just wondering what, if any schools were more lenient on gpas. I have alot of animal experience and good eLORS. I also interview very well. Where is Western? Im not familiar with it.

Based on your GRE scores and your horrible spelling I would stick with SGU if I were you.

Well, I know quite a few vets who are awful spellers so I don't think that's much of a criterion. However, on a more serious note, a 3.1 GPA plus 800 GRE is not competitive at all. A high GPA can compensate for poor GRE scores and excellent GRE scores can compensate for a lower GPA, but you have a lower-than-average GPA and extremely poor GRE scores. You will have a very difficult time gaining admission to a stateside school unless you are able to substantially increase your GRE scores.

Your options are basically as follows: take admission to a Caribbean school (which is most certainly not a bad option), or do whatever it takes to improve your GRE scores and take some upper-division science classes and do well in them and apply to stateside schools again. I think you'd do well to strongly consider going to SGU, though. It's an opportunity that has already been offered to you and it will allow you to become a vet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on your GRE scores and your horrible spelling I would stick with SGU if I were you.

A little blunt, don't ya think? :oops:

But yeah, I think you should set your mind on SGU. I highly doubt you will be accepted to a US vet school with those scores. You still have time to retake though! I didn't take mine until September last year..heh. It was a madhouse getting my scores in on time (and I lost out on applying to Illinois), but it can be done.

i'd save your money for traveling to Grenada. You will still be able to get a DVM and I think that is your best shot. your GRE scores would make it...dare i say, impossible...to get into an OOS school. so look forward to next year!! :) it will come fast!

Although Western are more lenient on GPAs, they look for really well-rounded people. There are basically three stages of admission to WesternU. First you pass the academics, then you'd be invited for an interview. if you receive two "yes'" on the interview then your application goes to dean's office. The dean then handpicks the class based on experience and diversity. Do you have lots of different stories to tell or lots of experience in many different areas?
I talked to WesternU's advisor and she said an applicant are better off having 3.3 average in both science pre-req and general pre-req, and a 1000 on GRE. But i've known people who got in to vet school (general) with a lower than average GPA. They either have tons and tons of experience or/and got really good eLORS. I know a person who got into Cornell with a gpa of 2.9 and tons tons of research and clinical hours (somewhere around 4500? or 5000).
You say that you tend to not do well on standard tests, but guess what? The point of standard tests is that every test is similar that if you find do lots and lots of practice and find strategies to study for them, you'll definitely improve. Get a self-study book and look through the strategies and do the practice problems. I'm sure you'll improve on the GRE easily.
If I really want to stay in the US, I would definitely study for GRE and see if i can get a better score. or take some classes to boost GPA and show the committee that you really care and can improve. But SGU isn't bad as well, you are still fulfilling your dreams after all. And like everyone else said, you can work extra hard to transfer back to the US, but know that it's extremely competitive.

Something people need to consider about Western....YES, their GPA's are lower (this is addressed above, explaining why they have lower stats). However, this is NOT your typical veterinary school. It's very, very different, in reference to PBL. Don't apply to Western just because they have lower stats. Actually consider the curriculum and do some research on PBL. It's a very expensive trip out to CA just to find out that you didn't do enough research on PBL and applied for the wrong reason--trust me, I know. Just my $0.02 :). It wasn't for me, but I can definitely see how PBL will perfectly fit some student's learning styles.

Please excuse any misspellings, I know that the grammar police have been out in full force lately and I like to avoid the fuzz whenever possible.

if I can't say anything nice..... " i would be an awfully quiet guy".

:rofl::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I hear a lot on this forum that there are a lot of people who get in with either low gpa/gre scores, and I totally agree. But to give a balanced perspective, there are also hundreds of applicants every year with decent gpa and gre scores who don't get accepted to the schools they applied to.

Yes, people win the lottery sometimes so I'd say play if you want a chance to win. But I certainly wouldn't bank my future on winning the mega millions...

Vet school is going to be what you make of it, and you already have the opportunity to go to SGU. So why don't you take it? What if you don't get in next year??? Wouldn't you be burning a bridge with SGU?

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I agree with SOV. Considering how cut throat veterinary medicine admissions are an 800 GRE & a 3.1 GPA just won't cut the mustard. Not unless you have extraordinary personal experiences and excellent recommendations. - and even then its an uphill battle. I would honestly step back and take a small bit of time to decide what you want. If you would be happy at SGU then I would just go for it and never look back. If, however, you want your DVM in the USA then don't give up. Take about a year or two off and improve your GRE and GPA. The GRE is just one stupid test and most every school will take your highest score from one test. If you really want an AVMA DVM then retaking the test shouldn't even be in question. Then register for some additional coursework to bump up your GPA (most specifically you 45 semester one). I wish you the best of luck :luck:!

if I can't say anything nice..... " i would be an awfully quiet guy".

:laugh: And as cowgirla said, I was thinking it too. He just typed it out first. Blunt? Yes. Wrong? No.

I hate to say it but I agree with SOV. Considering how cut throat veterinary medicine admissions are an 800 GRE & a 3.1 GPA just won't cut the mustard. Not unless you have extraordinary personal experiences and excellent recommendations. - and even then its an uphill battle. I would honestly step back and take a small bit of time to decide what you want. If you would be happy at SGU then I would just go for it and never look back. If, however, you want your DVM in the USA then don't give up. Take about a year or two off and improve your GRE and GPA. The GRE is just one stupid test and most every school will take your highest score from one test. If you really want an AVMA DVM then retaking the test shouldn't even be in question. Then register for some additional coursework to bump up your GPA (most specifically you 45 semester one). I wish you the best of luck :luck:!
:thumbup: agree. Vet school admission is extremely competitive and is partly based on chance/luck and who else is applying. As others have said, highly competitive candidates with a high gpa and high gre don't get in, while people with lower scores do. It can seem completely random at times. Unfortunately, most schools narrow down the many applications they get by looking mainly at the numbers. It ends up that people who would make great vets get overlooked for having less than stellar scores. I wish you luck in finding a US school that will look at your application as a whole, instead of just the numbers, as SGU obviously did. Remember that it is looked down upon to decline a school and reapply next year and an acceptance this year does not guarantee an acceptance or even an interview next year. If it was me, I would not risk a sure thing but would try to do more research on my own before making such a big decision.

If you're happy to stay outside the US and your only gripe is with the fact its non-AVMA, why not consider Sydney/Melbourne/Murdoch/Edinburghetc/Massey?

Low attrition rates (esp for matureaged), all AVMA accred, good standard of living in these countries...

If you're happy to stay outside the US and your only gripe is with the fact its non-AVMA, why not consider Sydney/Melbourne/Murdoch/Edinburghetc/Massey?

Low attrition rates (esp for matureaged), all AVMA accred, good standard of living in these countries...

I actually applied to Murdoch this past year and was told that even though my experience was strong, my academics were weak (3.0 GPA, 3.1 science GPA and 1280 GRE with 5.5 analytical) so I was not accepted. I actually figured that meant I wasn't getting in ANYWHERE since I assumed they were a little more holistic in their views of students...

And then I managed to hook an interview and get into VMRCVM. So its hard to say...

!!!

Did you post your stats in the successful applicants, tobysgirl? I don't know if I remember reading them. You'd think I would because my stats are nearly identical. I'd be very curious to see them! PM me if you don't know what I'm talking about. If I have phone service on the train, I'll respond right away.

I'm pretty sure that I did TT, but I'll go check again! I remember posting them somewhere...

A 3.1 GPA is not a death sentence for getting into vet school, but it does mean that you have to make your application really stand out in other ways, as I would know. Even given my poor GPA and pretty crappy quantitative GRE, I proved that I am intelligent and can excel in vet school. I had excellent eLORs, diverse experience, a focus (with experience to back it up), a good PS and (I think) a really good interview. I made no excuses but was able to show exactly how I'll be an amazing vet and a good vet student.

Have you called to do a file review with Tennessee? Working for a vet for 5 years is great, but some schools want to see diverse experiences. Maybe your LORs weren't as great as you think they were, or maybe your PS can use some reworking. Given that though, I think SGU is probably your best bet unless you can retake the GRE and do a ton better. I was told in my interview that people with a quantitative GRE less that 700 usually struggle with the rigor of vet school.

Also (not to drag you down, just something to think about), do you know why your GPA and GRE are so weak? Were you distracted, didn't study enough, or did you genuinely struggle with the course material? SGU, I've heard, is difficult because you have to be on top of yourself about studying and keeping up. I've heard that the school isn't as involved in keeping students in school, so if you fall behind or fail a class then you're screwed - you have to pay a ton of money to retake that semester. So even though you're in, you should seriously consider whether you can handle it, because whatever you've been doing academics-wise up until this point will not work at SGU. You need to majorly change they way you study/take tests so you don't make the same mistakes.

Good luck, I think given your application history and stats St. George is your best bet. A DVM is a DVM, right? :luck:

Last edited:
SGU, I've heard, is difficult because you have to be on top of yourself about studying and keeping up. I've heard that the school isn't as involved in keeping students in school, so if you fall behind or fail a class then you're screwed - you have to pay a ton of money to retake that semester.

I dont think SGU is alone in the fact that their students have to be on top of themselves about studying and keeping up. It's vet school and like any other vet school you are responsible for keeping up on your studies and being prepared when you attend class or sit for an exam.

As far as the school not being as involved in keeping their students in school, that is false. The school is very involved in retaining their students. We have an entire department dedicated to tutoring and extra help sessions. As long as you put in the effort the school will find ways to assist you. But you need to put in the effort.

If you fail a class at SGU you are not required to retake that entire terms course load. You will fall back a semester but you only need to repeat the course that you failed. So you would only be responsible for paying for the number of credits that you are re-taking. There is a limit however on how many courses you can fail.

Just thought I would clear some of that up for ya.

Thanks for the clarification. :) Some students from SGU (and Ross) I've talked to say that you have to be a very independent learner to do well, but perhaps they weren't taking advantage of the tutoring and support systems available, or maybe they were just independent learners regardless.

Here is an interesting thread with really good opinions. I think the best point is that vet school is what you make of it! You have to work hard no matter what.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=594591

I don't know much about SGU but I do know about Ross and to be honest, I don't really have much negative to say about the school and have heard a lot of positive feedback about vets who come from here.

This is absolutely true. I am transferring out for a number of reasons. My class has 5 students who are transferring out and at least 8 more (that I know of) that applied to transfer and did not get accepted. A couple of them were dead-set on transferring out and are in a particularly unhappy place mentally right now. If you really don't want to go to a Caribbean school and think you can get into a U.S. school, then apply. If you don't care and the goal is to be a vet sooner rather than later, go to SGU with the expectation that you will stay there. But applying to transfer certainly doesn't hurt ;)!

I am a TN res and have applied to UTK twice, gotten an interview twice, but have not been accepted. My GPA is 3.2 and my GRE is 1190. I would say you are just not making the point cut off.
UTK lines up candidates based on GPA and GRE and take the top X number. If you are below the line, you're not invited for an interview, even if you are .1 point behind the person above you. Its just the way it is.
I was near the bottom, and basically, I had to score perfect on my file and interview.
That being said, I do not think you could get into UT, but it is *highly* recommended to do a file review if you are thinking about doing another application round - even if you won't apply to UT - they could give some light about your eLOR and PS.

Personally, as some one who hasn't been accepted anywhere in the past 2 cycles....GO TO SGU! Dang... you've been offered the chance, why aren't you taking it? One of my close friends just started SGU last semester, and she loves it.

Go to the island, learn your stuff, take your tests, and be a vet. And remember how blessed you are to have been accepted anywhere.

well .. well... well... first thank you to all of you that posted experiences, advice, anything of a helpful nature. I am new to the student doctor network, thinking I was among friends I was not use spell check and I did type in a hurry...BUT now I know that some people (who are suppose to be future docs/ docs ) having nothing better to do with their time than to "correct" others trying to get some advice from a knowledgeable source. Shouldn't you be studying or something? Yep, you burned me....congrads!

Ok onto serious stuff. I DO plan on moving to Grenada and attending SGU. I just wanted to ask other students if they knew of people that had got into state schools with similar stats as mine. My answer is pretty clear that would be a big No. I am ok with that. There are other circumstances that make me want to stay in the US. These are family issues of a private nature that have nothing to do with school.

I am very confident that I will be an excellent vet, (if olny i can laern to spel.) SGU is my ticket to that then I am graetful....umm greatful, darn grateful..... there :)

I am aware that my gre is not competitive. Just wanted to give a little advice of my own. One of my good friends majored in animal science. This was a much easier major than that of mine (biology). If I had it to redo I would most definitely major in animal science. My friend had the same grades as mine in all the really difficult sciences such as organic, physics, cell and molec... (we had mostly B's, with a few A's and a few C's) She had her major to fall back on and had mostly A's in all her animal science classes, I on the other hand had a bunch of B's in my major with a few A's and C's as stated before. Her gpa was 3.5, mine was 3.1. She had really poor gre scores as well. She got into UT on her first try.

FYI: My IQ is 135.....im not ignorant......but i can do some pretty dumb things sometimes....:)

Please don't use your major as an excuse for a poor GPA. You can excel in any major. You only have yourself to blame. Having said that, look forward to doing great at SGU. I know you can!! Just put your mind to it. Also, I had a biology based major....had a better GPA than your friend and had a pretty strong GRE score and still didn't get into UT on my first try. Do not compare yourself to other people. Schools look at you individually. What she had when she got in means nothing when looking at your own stats. Focus on yourself and being the best YOU can be

Last edited:
Hey. Thanks for the help. I traveled to Knoxville and met with their dean of admissions, Dr. Brace. I know what I need to do but I am 28 years old and ready to begin vet school, not keep trying to get in ya know? I have a good friend that just finished at SGU vet school so I knew that it was very competitive to transfer back to a US school. So that would be nice, but I am not going to plan on it.

I am not using my major as an excuse. I said that I should have studied more than I did in some of my biology classes. However, I do wish that I had majored in an easier subject because I would have had a higher gpa. I took many animal science classes and at MTSU the animal science classes are much much easier than the biology classes. I majored in biology because I was interested in the subject But in hindsight I wish I had majored in animal science. No excuses, My fault for not studying harder, but I wish I had known as a freshman what I know now. thats all :)

One of my good friends majored in animal science. This was a much easier major than that of mine (biology).

I find this statement a little offensive, especially as an animal science major. The curriculum may vary from school to school, but the animal science degree at my university is not a cakewalk. Ruminant and monogastric nutrition, biochemistry, immunology, virology, reproduction, microbiology, muscle bio and eukaryotic cell bio are just a few of the required courses. And they are not easy courses.

I find this statement a little offensive, especially as an animal science major. The curriculum may vary from school to school, but the animal science degree at my university is not a cakewalk. Ruminant and monogastric nutrition, biochemistry, immunology, virology, reproduction, microbiology, muscle bio and eukaryotic cell bio are just a few of the required courses. And they are not easy courses.

Add me to the list of people offended by Sheena11vet's statement. I am an Animal Science and Biology double-major - so I can speak from each side. They are BOTH challenging and intensive. While I might enjoy Animal Science a little more (therefore might find it a little easier) it is in no way an "easy A" major.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of people offended by Sheena11vet's statement. I am an Animal Science and Biology double-major - so I can speak from each side. They are BOTH challenging and intensive. While I might enjoy Animal Science a little more (therefore might find it a little easier) it is in no way an "easy A" major.

One thing to remember is that she's talking from the perspective of her school - maybe there it is easier. Yes, she shouldn't have generalized, but perhaps, at her school, animal science is easier.

One thing to remember is that she's talking from the perspective of her school - maybe there it is easier. Yes, she shouldn't have generalized, but perhaps, at her school, animal science is easier.

One thing to remember is that she said she was "giving a little advice." That advice is bad advice because not all schools or classes are the same. Also people perform differently in different classes. Just because she might do better in animal science classes at her school doesn't mean someone else would.

One thing to remember is that she said she was "giving a little advice." That advice is bad advice because not all schools or classes are the same. Also people perform differently in different classes. Just because she might do better in animal science classes at her school doesn't mean someone else would.

True. Sorry, I was skimming the post and I'm half-awake, so I missed when she said that (or skimmed over it, hah.)

I'm looking at probably going to the Caribbean at this point myself (did massive GPA damage due to flood, suicide of a good friend, etc) so it'll be a while before I can pull my GPA up to a decent level.

I'm sure each school is different. At my school ANSC was easier, there were 1-2 courses that were hard but compared to bio there was a big difference, especially with averages in the classes. I know it is not like this for all schools though, but i can understand why this was said. I have taken some ansc courses and there was just no comparison compared to my bio courses. Besides that though, I never actually say this out loud because i know everywhere is different and it is kind of rude. It would be like if a physics major came around to me and said that i have it easy because their major is harder. You just don't do that.

Also, i really didn't want to say anything mean but since this major thing was brought up i feel like i should say it. Even if you were an ANSC major and if you were able to get almost all A's, it really wouldnt matter with a GRE score like that. There are many things that get people into vet school and many people have gotten into a US school with a 3.1 GPA, that is because there are many other categories to excel in besides just grades. So choosing the major wouldn't have mattered too much. There is also the pre-req GPA which everyone takes the same classes for. This is really the only time you can compare GPAs from people with different majors because it is counting the same classes.

In the end, we'll all be students together in vet school and i would hope that once we are there we will all help each other with classes instead of competing. I think this type of talk about which major was easier/harder leads to more competition instead of working together. Once we're in, we are all on the same playing field and our previous major doesn't matter.

That is the reason in my first post I put at MTSU (this is the school that i went to) and by no means do i think that animal science is not just as important as biology. Actually, I took 16 hoiurs in animal science classes and not only learned alot but also gained alot of hands on experience that I did not get in my biology classes.
Also at my school immunology, cell and molec, virulogy, comparitive anatomy, embryology, parasitology are all in the biology dept. Biochem is in the chem dept. Very few of the really difficult classes are in the animal science dept at MTSU. I am sure it is not like that everywhere. My friend that got into UT had a very poor GRE score as well.
I apologize to anyone that was offended. I was saying that at my school (and this is just my story) that if i had majored in animal science I would have had a higher gpa. No offense was intended. I loved animal science and in many ways found it a more practical major than biology for a pre-vet major, especially with the hands on labs. Once again sorry I was not saying animal science was an inferior major to biology, just an easier one at MY school. My sincere apology if that offended you.

That being said: I am well aware (once again) that my GRE scores are NOT good. I know this is one of the many reasons that I did not get accepted into a US vet school. I thought that being among fellow students there would be a certain degree of understanding and friendliness. All I asked was if anyone knew of US AVMA vet programs that were more lenient on gpas. I am not on here to argue or play virtual smack down with anyone. Thank you to all the people that were nice and offered good advice. Looks like I am SGU bound. I also got accepted into Ross but after doing alot of research I chose SGU.

Last edited:
Good luck at SGU! It looks like an awesome school and it seems like they really care about their students. If I had the money to go, I'd be applying this cycle as a back-up.

I am very confident that I will be an excellent vet, (if olny i can laern to spel.) SGU is my ticket to that then I am graetful....umm greatful, darn grateful..... there :)

:laugh: Kudos for keeping things lighthearted in the face of some not-so-gentle comments.

I believe that a good sense of humor --and a sense of tact, colleagues-- are far more essential attributes of a good vet than is accurate spelling ;)

Congratulations, and have a wonderful time at SGU, Sheena!

sheenavet, i don't think people thought you were saying that biology is more important than animal science. i think it's just that people get kind of touchy anytime someone makes a statement along the lines of "i would have done better if i took the easy way out like other people." reason being that you're trivializing someone else's experience and/or accomplishments. maybe it is true that the average gpa of animal science majors at MTSU is higher than that of biology majors... but it's just not a nice attitude to have. anyone who had a high gpa in any major at any school worked hard to achieve that, and should be applauded rather than be told that their high gpa was not "worth as much" as others. i know this isn't what you meant to say, but that's kind of how it came off. and we're such a close-knit group here, that anytime members feel as though someone is not being as supportive as they should be, we have the tendency to get pissed off.

sheenavet, i don't think people thought you were saying that biology is more important than animal science. i think it's just that people get kind of touchy anytime someone makes a statement along the lines of "i would have done better if i took the easy way out like other people." reason being that you're trivializing someone else's experience and/or accomplishments. maybe it is true that the average gpa of animal science majors at MTSU is higher than that of biology majors... but it's just not a nice attitude to have. anyone who had a high gpa in any major at any school worked hard to achieve that, and should be applauded rather than be told that their high gpa was not "worth as much" as others. i know this isn't what you meant to say, but that's kind of how it came off. and we're such a close-knit group here, that anytime members feel as though someone is not being as supportive as they should be, we have the tendency to get pissed off.

The Biochemistry course offered at my university was through the Biology department. I had trouble with the first exam and went in to speak with the professor. He told me, "You should know that Animal Science majors tend to struggle with this course more often than Biology majors. You just don't have the same background in the hard sciences." I wanted to cry, but I complained about him to the department instead. :rolleyes:

The Biochemistry course offered at my university was through the Biology department. I had trouble with the first exam and went in to speak with the professor. He told me, "You should know that Animal Science majors tend to struggle with this course more often than Biology majors. You just don't have the same background in the hard sciences." I wanted to cry, but I complained about him to the department instead. :rolleyes:

aww, it kind of sounds like he was awkwardly trying to make you feel better :oops:. as in, "don't worry you didn't get a bad grade because you're stupid. most of the other students have taken a bunch of related courses already."

I'd like to bring up a point that I have seen this attitude both ways. And actually, I think my experience was worse (as in the prof actually had a nasty mean undertone to everything he said to me).

I'm a bio major and I signed up for an ANSC course, i think it was the mam/phys animal science version or repro. Anyway, I had permission through the PI I worked with that I could take the class even though i was a bio major, i had also taken a couple lower level ansc courses.

This prof calls my cell phone, and actually tries to convince me to drop his course because he says it will be too hard for me. I kept saying how i have good grades and complete confidence from my advisor and my PI (who is in the ansc dept). Finally after this 10 min. phone call he gives up and says that he will let me take the class if I want.

First day of class was completely fine. Easy peasy. I know in advance that this prof is a douche bag and gives pop quizzes. So i read up everything he taught on the first day of class so I will be ready.

Second day of class, pop quiz! what a surprise. I was completely ready for it! What is the pop quiz over?? Future material!! Nothing he lectured on the first day, but what was to be taught the second day and never gone over yet. Of course, since everyone else in the class was an ansc major and already knew the In's and Out's of this profs teaching style they had already studied the future material because they knew that was what the quiz was on. No one mentioned it to me though. Of course, the only thing i got right was my name :p

Dropped the course that same day. What is the point of "playing games" instead of learning. I also felt like a total outcast because the ansc dept is so small everyone else was "bff's" and had study buddies already formed. Not a friendly crowd or prof. I felt like he was trying to make me fail on purpose just to prove i couldnt handle his course. What an encouraging, helpful man! bullshtt

At MTSU the animal science program is good. I enjoyed my classes and learned alot. However, the classes offered in the AS dept are no where near as challenging as most of the ones I had in Biology. Go to mtsu.edu and check out what they classify as AS vs that of Biology because alot of the more difficult classes required for prevet are not under AS. Actually there was not one AS class that UT vet school required.

The AS program where I went to college is not as difficult as the biology program. That is just the facts. I should not of assumed that it was like that everywhere though. Sorry for that. And if you grad vet school, who freaking cares what your undergrad major was, ya know? :) I know I won't.