Vet Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freeriderorsomething

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken online courses while in the military, but am now at a 4 year university. Had about a 3.0 online coursework GPA. Now I have a 3.2 GPA at my current school. Science GPA is about 3.5. My first couple semesters here were pretty terrible. Had to retake a non prereq intro chem class a bunch of times. I've since then greatly improved and taken the General chemistry prereq class and passed with a A. Will this completely kill all chances for me or is there still some hope?

-Have not yet taken the MCAT
-3.2 gpa/3.5 sci gpa
-Served 5 years active duty military
-9,000 + patient care hours as a Navy Corpsman, Medical assistant, Emt-b
-Shadow hours
-very good lor's
-decent volunteer service
-older applicant 28 years old
- URM

What do you all think? Do I have a shot? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Blue side and proud! ;) I actually really wanted to go green side, but no female billets were ever open when I was up for orders.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep pushing forward, a stellar MCAT will help buffer any GPA-related woes (plus being an HM really helps!)

I'm in essentially the same boat as you, other than being green side. Try getting into a research lab at your school to pad out post-military experience, other than that I have a feeling that prior military medical personnel are viewed a little differently than the typical civilian - as long as your grades / MCAT are no worse than theirs.

Blue side and proud! ;) I actually really wanted to go green side, but no female billets were ever open when I was up for orders.

Luck of the draw/timing, I suppose. Almost half the corpsmen and the flight surgeon assigned to my squadron were women.

I have taken online courses while in the military, but am now at a 4 year university. Had about a 3.0 online coursework GPA. Now I have a 3.2 GPA at my current school. Science GPA is about 3.5. My first couple semesters here were pretty terrible. Had to retake a non prereq intro chem class a bunch of times. I've since then greatly improved and taken the General chemistry prereq class and passed with a A. Will this completely kill all chances for me or is there still some hope?

I did the exact same thing. Got a D+ in an intro chem course and then took the Gen Chem with lab and got an A. I'm hoping DO schools will replace the D. I think we will be alright.

Do well on the rest of you prereqs. do decently on the MCAT and apply smart. I think youll do fine. I know someone with similar grades who got into a few schools. Schools will be very interested in your non-trad story, spend some time working it into your personal statement and secondaries.

Best of luck!

Good luck doc! I was Marine infantry and even though you weren't on the green side you corpsmen were amazing for us! I'm applying this year also and I think if you use your military experience to show a unique side of your maturity and knowledge of the profession you'll look good. Feel free to PM me with questions, to vent, or to go over interview ideas when we get there.