Vet tech before vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like I said, the only thing that prompted me to respond this time was because of WHO was making the statement and how one sided it seemed. I honestly don't ever recall anyone whose opinions I really respect saying the opposite with the same intensity. If you had made the opposite statement in the same manner, I probably would have said the same exact thing.

But I'm not some famous person or anything. Most people don't even know who I am in real life.

And well, nevermind.

What I get for actually being vocal about something in public vs. in private. Though I hope those who do have the opposite viewpoint (of some I do think you respect their opinion on) realize it is just as "bad" as what I stated. Even though I think my main point is still being missed, but that's ok.

I'm going to go back to watching movies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
But I'm not some famous person or anything. Most people don't even know who I am in real life.

You're a star in my world ;)

No seriously though... After meeting some younger pre-vets SDNers IRL (and seeing the progression of opinions of posters over the years), it's actually amazing how influential certain posters are with their opinions. It's surprising how I can spot an SDNer based on things they say about the profession/admission process IRL. When I was a wee little one, starry eyed and hoping in all goodness that I might get into vet school one day, I absolutely looked up to several wise posters, and took their statements to be true if I didn't have a frame of reference. So for that reason, I think it can be problematic when long-term posters (especially those far along in vet school or graduated) have contentious opinions that aren't countered.

Best example of an influential SDN wiseman encounter, was when I was sitting at a university with a vet school near a bunch of UG pre-vets. I was waiting to meet up with someone and was perusing the forums, when I overhear this conversation going on that mirrored a hot topic on the forums at the time. It sounded like they were brainstorming for upcoming interviews. One girl started essentially parroting Sumstorm's post, complete with her examples and all as if they were her own thoughts (we all know how distinctive they were), but then missed the mark completely on the take home message. She was clearly proud of her knowledge and spoke with so much authority on the subject when clearly she just read it recently on the forums, I couldn't help but chuckle.

You're a star in my world ;)

No seriously though... After meeting some younger pre-vets SDNers IRL (and seeing the progression of opinions of posters over the years), it's actually amazing how influential certain posters are with their opinions. It's surprising how I can spot an SDNer based on things they say about the profession/admission process IRL. When I was a wee little one, starry eyed and hoping in all goodness that I might get into vet school one day, I absolutely looked up to several wise posters, and took their statements to be true if I didn't have a frame of reference. So for that reason, I think it can be problematic when long-term posters (especially those far along in vet school or graduated) have contentious opinions that aren't countered.

Best example of an influential SDN wiseman encounter, was when I was sitting at a university with a vet school near a bunch of UG pre-vets. I was waiting to meet up with someone and was perusing the forums, when I overhear this conversation going on that mirrored a hot topic on the forums at the time. It sounded like they were brainstorming for upcoming interviews. One girl started essentially parroting Sumstorm's post, complete with her examples and all as if they were her own thoughts (we all know how distinctive they were), but then missed the mark completely on the take home message. She was clearly proud of her knowledge and spoke with so much authority on the subject when clearly she just read it recently on the forums, I couldn't help but chuckle.

:laugh:

Aww... I miss sumstrom.

I get what you are saying though. Hopefully I have made it clear what I really think about the topic should my posts ever really be taken to heart or be seen as super influential (no one should take me that seriously ;) ). I know there were definitely certain posters that I looked up to as "wise" and listened to their statements when I was applying and still look up to now as I am finishing out vet school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We have a vet who worked as a technician/assistant in a hospital for a few years before getting into vet school (Ross).
I think she was helped by knowing already what goes on in a vet hospital and how to handle animals and clients to some degree.
I'd hire a vet (other things being relatively equal) who actually had some kind of job before/during college and maybe even in vet school, then a straight student with no work experience.
Life experience always counts.

We have a vet who worked as a technician/assistant in a hospital for a few years before getting into vet school (Ross).
I think she was helped by knowing already what goes on in a vet hospital and how to handle animals and clients to some degree.
I'd hire a vet (other things being relatively equal) who actually had some kind of job before/during college and maybe even in vet school, then a straight student with no work experience.
Life experience always counts.
I'm not following your reasoning here. The vast majority of veterinary students enter school with clinical experience. Not always on the level of a technician, but many work in clinics as assistants or 'unofficial technicians.' What veterinary student would have no work experience at the point of job-hunting?
Yes and I stated as such above. I am still perplexed by the sheer number of licensed techs we have had in that area that are just plain bad. It should be equal between the two groups, but there is a heavy bias towards the licensed techs being worse. :shrug:
Kind of just perusing this thread since it got bumped....but it seems like my hometown is similar. I don't want to pass any judgment on the programs since I haven't been through them myself. Out of the 7 or so techs I've worked with from a particular program, only one would I trust with my own pet. It could be a general lack of ****-giving due to the work environment, but you'd think that your training wouldn't go out the window just because you hate your bosses.

I got a question and I'm very concerned and worried at the same time. I want to become a veterinary but I want to know if its better for me to study to be a vet tech first or study pre-vet? What should i do. I already study an associate degree in Culinary Arts, that is my another passion. And now I want to study to become a vet but in my country we don't have Vet Universities, just they offer Pre-Vet or Vet Tech. So any suggestions? Thankx

I got a question and I'm very concerned and worried at the same time. I want to become a veterinary but I want to know if its better for me to study to be a vet tech first or study pre-vet? What should i do. I already study an associate degree in Culinary Arts, that is my another passion. And now I want to study to become a vet but in my country we don't have Vet Universities, just they offer Pre-Vet or Vet Tech. So any suggestions? Thankx
Speaking from what it's like in the US, it generally is a waste of money/time to complete a tech program strictly as a means to get into veterinary school. Given the standard pre-requisite courses for most US schools..those generally take about 2 years to complete (could be more, could be less) with no additional courses for a bachelor's degree. A tech program is generally two years, and those courses don't always satisfy pre-veterinary prereqs. Sometimes the courses you need to take to get into the tech program are also pre-vet courses...things like humanities, writing, basic biology/chemistry, etc. If you went the tech route, chances are that you'd have to go back to school again to finish your veterinary school science pre-reqs.

What country are you in? Brazil? I'm not great with flags... heh.

What country are you in? Brazil? I'm not great with flags... heh.
puerto rico, i think.

(also if you were wondering, brazil has a green flag with a yellow rhombus with like an earth or starry sky in the center, I haven't seen it in a while so I can't quite remember but it's navy with something on it)