Vet Tech School Before Applying to Veterinary School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PearLoris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm a senior undergraduate Animal Science major at UC Davis. There are a few issues that lower my chances of getting into veterinary school at the moment:

1) Although I had a GPA of 3.5 from community college, my GPA here at Davis is only a 2.7. I have one year left, and I will be taking some science classes required for my major (Animal Genetics, Lactation, and a lab course), as well as Physics. I will be retaking two courses I got below a C in (genetics and statistics). I'm hoping I can get my GPA up to at least a 3.0, but I have taken so many credits I'm not sure this year will make much of a difference.
2) At UC Davis, o chem is split up over 3 quarters (118A, 118B, 118C). My grades for them have been C, C-, D+, respectively. I am afraid to retake 118C here at Davis because it is so difficult, I don't want to retake the course and only get a C, I think vet schools would look down on that. I am willing to take a full year of O Chem at community college to make up for the poor grades, if possible. Anyone have any thoughts about this idea?

So keeping all that in mind, here is my plan. After graduating, I'd like to go back to a community college and start working on getting certified at a vet tech. They might let me skip some classes that are similar to what I have taken at Davis. During this time I can also retake Organic Chemistry, and once that is completed I can start applying for vet schools. If I don't get in then hey, at least I'll be a registered veterinary technician and I'll be able to go out and work in the field right? I'd love to hear some thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would you be satisfied as a vet tech for your career or is it a stepping stone (and back up) to vet school? If you still want to go to vet school, tech school will not help you. It will take your time and money away from the classes you need to do well in and prevent you from getting the number of experience hours you could otherwise be getting.

What about taking a year off and get a full job at a clinic in hopes that it either motivates you to do better in the courses you need for vet schools or solidifies you confidence in being a career tech?

I will say that at least 50% of the 12 or so techs I've worked with (2 clinics) say they either "Wish I'd gone to vet school," or the more emotional, "I could have gone to vet school!" I think, student like my self that are assistants/techs as stepping stones to vet school can irritate those with regrets and it's something techs are going to deal with their whole career as a tech.

I went to vet tech school before my undergrad and loved it. I gained a ton of experience and thought the same thing about being an RVT if I didn't get into vet school.

On that note, in TX none the classes transferred to my undergrad (which I knew wouldn't) and they also do not count towards your GPA. That's just my experience, I personally loved going to vet tech school and don't feel it was a waste. However I don't know how I would've felt doing it after undergrad because that's what most schools seem to focus on is your GPA with those prereqs and the time spent there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the quick replies. As far as Organic Chemistry goes, should I just retake the D+ for O Chem at Davis? I would only be able to apply to vet schools that allow a C- or better in prerequisite coursework. Or should I take a year to retake the entire O Chem series at community college?

I ended up starting a tech programme some time after undergrad, as I had originally been planning on becoming a tech. Once i realised i definitely wanted to pursue becoming a vet rather than a tech, I stopped all the tech courses and focussed solely on the missing prereqs I needed.

If you're thinking of pursuing tech school to satisfy or retake prereqs, i wouldn't count on tech school necessarily meeting that requirement for you. In my experience while researching tech programmes, there were only a few preclinical courses, and they were more basic chemistry and anatomy/physiology, but no organic chem or other high level science courses. The clinical courses were just that - clinical courses. While it might be helpful once actually in vet school, those courses are pretty tech-school specific and not likely to satisfy prereq courses.

I'd suggest investigating the tech programmes to make sure they would allow you to take courses outside the tech programme (such as orgo) and also whether the college even offers orgo (or any other prereqs you'd need). Depending on which courses you took and what their preclinical courses are, the tech programme may or may not accept any of your prior coursework, so you might not be able to skip anything.

If the only course you need to re/take is orgo, you might be able to work that in with tech studies, but will still need to balance that with whatever classes you need for the programme. It's certainly possible, but it would be good to research all the possible options at whatever programme you went to and get an idea of the degree timeframe, what classes are available, etc.

Whether to retake the whole year or just the D+ class of ochem... Undoubtedly you need to bring that grade up, and ideally not just to a c/c-... If you took it at uc davis, you'd have to balance the ochem retake with whatever else you're taking, so don't forget that you need to do well in all your classes this year. Personally I found physics very demanding in undergrad, and you'll need to bring up the grades of the other classes you're retaking too, so you'll have a lot on your plate.

If you've had a look around the rest of the boards you've likely seen advice for those with lower GPAs suggesting things like finding schools that weight prereq-GPAs more than overall GPAs, that emphasise last 45 credit GPA, grade forgiveness, etc. If you think that ochem on top of your other classes would be too much, i'd likely skip retaking it at ucdavis. If you can manage to get a full year of ochem and significantly improve your grade in it for both semesters, that would probably be a lot better, and if you rock all your classes this year that will help too.

You could also try working for a year instead of jumping straight into a tech programme, perhaps as a vet assistant or another vet-related role, and take just the year of ochem during that time. Then you don't have the pressure of tons of classes to worry about, but if you're working a good amount of hours at the same time, that can balance the lack of a heavy courseload when you put it on your apps. Some places might offer ochem over the summer too, so that's an option to potentially do the course in a shorter (but intense!) timeframe.

If you haven't already, I'd look too for some extra help with ochem (and your other retakes), whether that be finding a good tutor, study group, improving study skills, whatever you need to do to bring those grades up.

good luck!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
As far as Organic Chemistry goes, should I just retake the D+ for O Chem at Davis? I would only be able to apply to vet schools that allow a C- or better in prerequisite coursework. Or should I take a year to retake the entire O Chem series at community college?

I think it would be beneficial to re-take the whole darn series, but at the very least, repeat the D+. I don't know of any schools that even accept less than a C- in any prerequisite course.

Something to consider, though: are you ready to retake these classes? If you haven't figured out why you did poorly in those classes, it will be a waste of your time and money to repeat them right now. You need to have a rock solid game plan for success before you even think about retaking. Maybe finding a job as a tech or assistant for a bit would give you time to get some experience and refocus yourself on your goals. I don't know that the tech program is the right answer unless you would be happy being a tech long-term (and maybe you would, which is great).

I would retake the year of ochem. If you struggled that much in the second part you probably didn't get a good grasp on the basis concepts in the first part. You don't really want to take it and get the same score or worse. Also, I believe that some school require ochem to be taken at a four year university? I might be mistaken on that so you might start by picking school that you would like to go to or are a strong candidate at and look at what they require.

Just wanted to mention that some schools require Ochem (as well as other courses) be taken at an 4-year school to be accepted. I would look very carfully at where you want to apply before investing another year in Ochem. Use ratemyprofessor.com to help you find the right professors. My undergrad will also not allow grade replacement where a repeated course from a CC. That doesn't affect vet school specifically, but it would affect my primary GPA.

I have nothing against taking courses at a CC (I took physics and micro at a CC), but just be warned that there are issues that can come up .

If you can find it at all at a 4-year with a good professor, so that. Maybe even look into summer programs where they are done back to back (Oregon?) and spend next summer dedicated to Ochem.

I would retake the year of ochem. If you struggled that much in the second part you probably didn't get a good grasp on the basis concepts in the first part. You don't really want to take it and get the same score or worse. Also, I believe that some school require ochem to be taken at a four year university? I might be mistaken on that so you might start by picking school that you would like to go to or are a strong candidate at and look at what they require.

I think a lot of schools consider O Chem to be a lower division science course and community college is acceptable for lower division courses. At least UC Davis Veterinary School does.

When I first got the inkling about changing careers I started a tech program thinking it would help me get my foot in the door at a vet hospital (it didn't, I mentioned nothing of the tech program when I got my part time job in a vet hospital). After taking the animal anatomy/physiology and diagnostic imaging courses I dropped out because the material was so basic and mind-numbing. I personally need more in-depth material and knew that I wouldn't be happy long term as a tech. If you can see yourself being happy as a tech then a tech program is probably worthwhile to you.

If your intention is still to go to vet school, I would think retaking your prereqs and/or pursuing a masters would be a better use of your resources. But that's personal opinion so do with it what you will :)

I will say that at least 50% of the 12 or so techs I've worked with (2 clinics) say they either "Wish I'd gone to vet school," or the more emotional, "I could have gone to vet school!" I think, student like my self that are assistants/techs as stepping stones to vet school can irritate those with regrets and it's something techs are going to deal with their whole career as a tech.

I used Vet tech as a stepping stone and then life happened, blah blah blah. Ive now been a licensed technician for 8 years. I have a husband, a daughter, goats, a dog, a cat, a house (mortgage), car loans...etc... And my vet school dreams are on hold. (Likely forever)

The above comment hits home for me. EVERY time we have a job shadow I get so excited and talk their ears off. But the excitement also opens an old wound, and pours salt on it repeatedly. (that sounds overly dramatic, lol) So if you do use an LVT as a stepping stone be prepared to have to face your "failure" quite often.

That being said, being a technician can be a very rewarding career. I LOVE my job. I love the nursing care, IVC placement, radiography, phlebotomy, etc. So its not a bad fall back really.

In my opinion, yes you should retake the entire year of O chem. Like others before me said, make sure that you're ready to take it when you do.

You will also need to be picky about where you apply. A school that uses a cumulative undergrad GPA will be best for you, rather than one that look at 'science gpa' or 'last 45 units'.
Also, there is a good chance that you will need to make the rest of your application stronger to help compensate for your GPA. Get as much experience as you can. Study your butt off for your GRE.

Just wanted to mention that some schools require Ochem (as well as other courses) be taken at an 4-year school to be accepted. I would look very carfully at where you want to apply before investing another year in Ochem. Use ratemyprofessor.com to help you find the right professors. My undergrad will also not allow grade replacement where a repeated course from a CC. That doesn't affect vet school specifically, but it would affect my primary GPA.

I have nothing against taking courses at a CC (I took physics and micro at a CC), but just be warned that there are issues that can come up .

If you can find it at all at a 4-year with a good professor, so that. Maybe even look into summer programs where they are done back to back (Oregon?) and spend next summer dedicated to Ochem.

I think a lot of schools consider O Chem to be a lower division science course and community college is acceptable for lower division courses. At least UC Davis Veterinary School does.

Just a note, I did get into VMRCVM with community college O Chem credits. I did a vet tech degree and my LVT, and then decided I wanted to do vet school. I learned ALOT during tech school and wouldn't trade it for the world, but I don't know that after undergrad I would do it, especially if you know that vet school is what you really want. Going straight from high school into tech school was the perfect stepping stone for me, but it did made the process take a bit longer. All together I was in college full time for 5 years at 3 different schools in order to fulfill the prereq requirements (I didn't do a bachelors, but took random prereq classes at a community college and at a local university after tech school).

The big thing either way is GET HANDS ON EXPERIENCE. That will show them more than anything that you really know what the profession is about and that you know what you are getting into.