PhD/PsyD Veteran and Trauma oriented PhD and PsyD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeG33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I apologize if this question has been asked already, as I am new to this forum, but I am looking for PhD (most interested) and PsyD programs that work with veteran populations. Thus far I have found The University of Utah (PhD; Center for Veterans Studies) and Mass. School of Professional Psychology (PsyD; Military and Veterans Psychology Program). I have looked into dozens of schools but there are so many, so I figured I would put this out there and see if anyone has any information. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There way too many programs to name that can provide clinical experience working with military and/or veteran populations, so not sure why you have picked these two particular programs? In fact, the department of veterans affairs is a very common practicum placement for psych grad students and it's the largest employee of psychologists in this country. While the population is unique to a certain extent, they aren't that unique. So, there is no need for a "specialization" in such a thing. Be a good psychologist and train in one or more of these settings during grad school and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agree with erg, don't overspecialize early, you're only shooting yourself in the foot flexibility-wise later on. Go to a PhD program that has a trauma person and make sure that they have a VA nearby that allows practicum students from that school. After that, do an internship and/or fellowship in the VA and you're all set.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP, check out programs in large metropolitan areas. There are 3 VAs here in the NYC area (Bronx VA, Brooklyn VA, Manhattan VA), and there are more than a dozen funded (or partial funded) PhD/PsyD programs in our area.

I concur with the above suggestion of finding a POI at each that focuses on trauma or other relevant research that will support your goal of working with the Veteran population.

Reactions: 1 user