Veterans Affairs hospital SF (RATHER SUPRISED & DISAPOINTED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTaspiringDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working at the VA SF hospital as an RT, new hire for the past few weeks.
i have been looking and waiting to meet a D.O while doing rounds and on my breaks and lunch times in order to introduce myself and possible shadow on my day off.
THERE ARE NO D.O'S. theres a million UCSF residents who are all MD's or pharmacy students.
This huge hospital even has a podiatry department but i have still to meet a D.O.
I was considering just going to the affliate facility UCSF moffet hospital in order to get some shadowing hours and possibly a few letters.
Im just disapointed and suprised, i mean it is a government hospital after all. they do have some of the best technology and great doctors. The MD's here are very freindly and i am glad its a teaching institution for i do have many questions regarding the different aspects of medicine. They are very open and welcome discussion and questions.
however my primary concern is shadowing a D.O, i have already shadowed a ton of MD's. For D.O school thats not relevant even though it looks good.
That would be like applying to podiatry school and having a naturpathic doctors shadowing hours and letter.
:confused:
suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i have been looking and waiting to meet a D.O while doing rounds and on my breaks and lunch times in order to introduce myself and possible shadow on my day off.
THERE ARE NO D.O'S. theres a million UCSF residents who are all MD's or pharmacy students.
This huge hospital even has a podiatry department but i have still to meet a D.O.
I was considering just going to the affliate facility UCSF moffet hospital in order to get some shadowing hours and possibly a few letters.
Im just disapointed and suprised, i mean it is a government hospital after all. they do have some of the best technology and great doctors. The MD's here are very freindly and i am glad its a teaching institution for i do have many questions regarding the different aspects of medicine. They are very open and welcome discussion and questions.
however my primary concern is shadowing a D.O, i have already shadowed a ton of MD's. For D.O school thats not relevant even though it looks good.
That would be like applying to podiatry school and having a naturpathic doctors shadowing hours and letter.
suggestions?

Well, I suggest you find a DO to shadow. There's a tool to find them on the AACOM website.

The prevalence of DOs will vary according to region and institution. There are few DOs relative to MDs in the country (although they are increasing in number every year).

suggestions?

It's probably because that VA has been attached to UCSF- a very competitive ACGME program. That means most of the docs there are going to have come from UCSF which takes almost exclusively MDs. Why not contact some docs at a local hospital?

look at the AACOM website like others have said.