This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerkissedqt

Iowa class of 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been previous threads on this topic but those seem to be out-of-date at this point:

I follow quite a few veterinary & veterinary student bloggers (as well as having my own), but it seems most of the people I've been following for the last couple of years seem to be deciding to call it quits or haven't blogged in 7+months. I realize most student bloggers are unreliable (understandably so), but the vet blogs I am surprised to see come to such an abrupt hault. A Vet's Guide to Life & Journey of an ER Vet seem to be the only 2 actually remaining active and having fairly regular posts.

Any good Vet blogs (or Vet student blogs) anyone can recommend that are still active? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Veterinarians Behaving Badly. Hi-larious!! If you're looking for a satirical, sarcastic sorta blog but that has true, informative stories!

They are the best!

I've been following your blog and I can post mine later..

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is still active...ish.

Ugh. I haven't updated mine in months. I did ok before school and during first semester, but.... then I fell into the black hole that is vet school and haven't gotten back to it. I should do that. It's nice to have a voice, after all.

Ugh. I haven't updated mine in months. I did ok before school and during first semester, but.... then I fell into the black hole that is vet school and haven't gotten back to it. I should do that. It's nice to have a voice, after all.

:laugh:

Yeah I actually have mine up and ready to update again... I did fairly well during the semester, but my last post was in May so I have fallen behind.....

I also have a blog. I wasn't going to post it since I originally wanted to be "anonymous" but anyone who knows me would figure out it's my blog after a few posts :rolleyes:

Here it is if anyone's interested: http://exploratoryvetting.blogspot.com/

I've mostly been writing about my fosters since I have no school experiences to write about at the moment

Yeah first year I was on the ball with it. Since then, I have realized I am not following in the footsteps of my fellow Glasgow alumnus Mr. Herriot. I think i'm down to like 4 big posts a year....

Oops.

But I shall continue until I graduate I think....too amazing of an experience to not write down and remember years from now. If it helps other people out too, great. :)

But I shall continue until I graduate I think....too amazing of an experience to not write down and remember years from now. If it helps other people out too, great. :)

:thumbup:

:laugh:

Yeah I actually have mine up and ready to update again... I did fairly well during the semester, but my last post was in May so I have fallen behind.....

Maybe four or five of us need to band together to have a shared blog.

Or SOV and I could do the Old Vet Student blog.

Or ....

Members don't see this ad :)

Or ....

"We raced our wheelchairs to the anatomy lab today...."

;)

Or ....

Actually I think it might be interesting to have a shared blog.... especially if we had students from different vet schools - so like 4-5 of us updating it and maybe different topics.... that way it gave an insight into the differences in the schools from a first hand experience

Interesting idea LIS

Actually I think it might be interesting to have a shared blog.... especially if we had students from different vet schools - so like 4-5 of us updating it and maybe different topics.... that way it gave an insight into the differences in the schools from a first hand experience

Interesting idea LIS

I love that! I'd be happy to contribute as a mizzou student! :)

"We raced our wheelchairs to the anatomy lab today...."

;)

free-love-smileys-525.gif

Thanks for all of the great blog recommendations! I can't wait to start diving in and picking out favorites!! :D

Also, thanks for following me PetPony!

Interesting idea LIS

I, for one, think that's a fantastic idea! I would totally be on it if I would have something to write about other than "procrastinated writing my PS again today!" haha. Definitely a better read once someone is actually in school I'd bet.

I love that! I'd be happy to contribute as a mizzou student! :)

:) cool beans!

I, for one, think that's a fantastic idea! I would totally be on it if I would have something to write about other than "procrastinated writing my PS again today!" haha. Definitely a better read once someone is actually in school I'd bet.

Yeah I definitely think it could be a very interesting collaboration.... just have to figure out logistics and see if there are a few vet students who could contribute - would want to cap it off at 4-5 though or I think it would get crazy. :laugh:

And I think having set topics in the beginning especially for time of year might be fun...

hmmmmm....

Please wrote the name of the school or your name or something at the top of every post though. I read one of those blogs and it was so confusing because I didn't know who was who. :laugh:

Here's mine. Not very exciting as far as vet stuff going on. I mostly talk about raising a guide dog lately. Hoping to start shadowing soon again and I have some cool classes starting soon, so maybe that'll bring some more excitement.

Lifelong Learning

I've been debating starting a blog, but it would mostly be for my own venting for my anxieties over this whole grad school process. :laugh:

What made you guys decide to start one?

I've always loved writing and while it doesn't sound as good anymore as it used to (if it ever did :rolleyes:), it still helps me work through stuff. When I'm mad or sad, it helps me get over it. When I'm happy, I love sharing it with people which makes me even happier. It's a stress reliever.

I'll start one up, I guess. :D Won't link it here because it's not relevant, but I'm up for anything that's stress relieving.

I have a blog, although idk if it's super vet med related. I haven't written a ton about it in the past, but I have more now that I'm applying. I have at least a year left of pre-vet before vet school. It's more of a blog about all aspects of my life, but you guys are welcome to check it out if you'd like :) recently I've been posting about once or twice a month. It's called Sincerely, Me at http://sincerelyallthingsme.blogspot.com

Thanks to everyone who's posted their blogs! I've already checked out and am now following a few ;)

love doctor in the sand and a vet's guide to life!

Last edited:
Oh and if anyone wants the link to mine, just PM me :)

I have one but I haven't updated in nearly a year. It's http://petdoctobe.wordpress.com/ in case you're interested. I got caught up in moving at the beginning of first semester last year and then school kept me busy, etc etc. I need to get back into it.

A shared blog sounds like a really interesting idea. I would be willing to contribute as an Oklahoma State student if it ends up happening!

Continuing the 'shared blog' idea....

What if a group of us (maybe 4-5) all fielded the same question every week with once/week posts?

Questions could range all over the place - anything from lifestyle to background to current events in vet med to school .... Just things that other pre-vets, vet students, and general public might be interested in.

We could send out the question on one day, give people 5 days to respond, and then a nominated blog boss could compile the responses and post the entry. I suggest me, since I actually have a history in editing, but if someone else were dying to do it just jump up and say so.

There's no reason we couldn't throw in other blog posts as needed, but with 4-5 of us we'd want to avoid posting TOO much and losing a sense of consistency.

What if a group of us (maybe 4-5) all fielded the same question every week with once/week posts?

Questions could range all over the place - anything from lifestyle to background to current events in vet med to school .... Just things that other pre-vets, vet students, and general public might be interested in.

We could send out the question on one day, give people 5 days to respond, and then a nominated blog boss could compile the responses and post the entry. I suggest me, since I actually have a history in editing, but if someone else were dying to do it just jump up and say so.

There's no reason we couldn't throw in other blog posts as needed, but with 4-5 of us we'd want to avoid posting TOO much and losing a sense of consistency.

I think that sounds awesome! I know I'd personally love to read something like that. :thumbup:

That sounds awesome LIS. I'd be willing to write for Ohio State.

I like this idea. I'd be happy to contribute for ISU.

And speaking of blogs... I haven't updated mine since November :oops:. My ramblings can be found at http://futurezoovet.blogspot.com/ if you're interested.

That sounds like a great idea. Even if I am not one of the writers for it, I would definitely read it!

I'd be happy to do this, too.

I'd be happy to provide a Canadian perspective for a shared blog, if it was needed. I love the idea! We get a lot of comparison questions at SDN, this would be a nice compilation.:)

It sounds like there's enough interest to put this together and see if it takes off.

So, barring someone else stepping forward to say "I *REALLY* want to do this" I volunteer to manage the posts.

Some random comments/questions:

o I do not want this to be perceived as 'mine'. I'm merely offering to be the organizational point person who creates the blog, compiles the comments, edits, and posts. I expect it to be a team effort. :)

o We need a name. Go.

o We need a place. What's the general consensus on good spots for blogs now? I still use wordpress for mine.

o How do we pick contributors? I think it'd be best with a small set of regular contributors rather than new people every time - the best blogs tend to have a fairly consistent style. I don't want to exclude people, but ... I think 4-5 is best, so we can't take everyone. My thoughts are that diversity is good, so it would be nice to have people from different regions. Also, it'd be nice to have people at different places in their progression.

It sounds like there's enough interest to put this together and see if it takes off.

So, barring someone else stepping forward to say "I *REALLY* want to do this" I volunteer to manage the posts.

Some random comments/questions:

o I do not want this to be perceived as 'mine'. I'm merely offering to be the organizational point person who creates the blog, compiles the comments, edits, and posts. I expect it to be a team effort. :)

o We need a name. Go.

o We need a place. What's the general consensus on good spots for blogs now? I still use wordpress for mine.

o How do we pick contributors? I think it'd be best with a small set of regular contributors rather than new people every time - the best blogs tend to have a fairly consistent style. I don't want to exclude people, but ... I think 4-5 is best, so we can't take everyone. My thoughts are that diversity is good, so it would be nice to have people from different regions. Also, it'd be nice to have people at different places in their progression.

I have had to have blogs for various undergrad classes and wordpress seems to be the most user-friendly. Maybe we should make a list of who wants to contribute and use the handy dandy pre-vet RNG to pick from those people? I like the idea of having people from different places/years in school. Oh and you could always have substitute posters ready to step in just in case a regular poster has too many tests, gets sick, etc.

I have had to have blogs for various undergrad classes and wordpress seems to be the most user-friendly. Maybe we should make a list of who wants to contribute and use the handy dandy pre-vet RNG to pick from those people? I like the idea of having people from different places/years in school.

Sounds good.

Peeps, PM me with blog name ideas and/or interest in contributing. I will compile name suggestions for voting and I'll mostly RNG contributors (I'll modify a bit for diversity).

I think this would work just as well! and of course I want to be a part of it.... I am more than fine with you being the editor if you want to take on that role.

I could be the contributor for the EU contingent! :D

Tumbler, Blogspot, and wordpress are all great so any of those are fine!

I will think on names!

I would love to help/write, but I just don't think I have enough time this coming year. Fourth year is supposedly super crazy. I'm sure there will be a great EU/UK writer though;)!!

I really like weebly, but tumblr is quite good as well for multiple writers!

Not a vet student (yet! lol) but thought I'd throw mine out there, though admittedly its filled with mostly art and random babblings. I've had meager adventures into the veterinary world thusfar. http://bewildermunster.blogspot.com/
Also, hey tigerkissedqt, I used to live in ND too! :D lol

Last edited:
I have a blog, but haven't updated it since clinics started (six weeks ago). I need to start updating so I don't forget all of these great experiences!

Also, I'd love to contribute to a shared blog. I know you only want 4-5 and there are already enough people, but if you need a non-trad vet school senior from UC Davis, I'm in :)