Veterinary Books!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysteryCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I know we have a blog thread, but I was hoping to get some other people's suggestions for vet med related books. I love love love the classic James Herriot books (say what you will, you haters out there. ;) ) Also, I really enjoyed Dr. Nick Trouts books, he is an awesome writer. Anyways, I'm always interested to read more of the autobiographical types, so if you know of any good ones, add 'em to the list!

All Creatures Great and Small (Series)
Tell me Where it Hurts -Nick Trout

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of vet books, I liked Zoobiquity, and I'm liking Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus.

If you're looking for animal/science/nature/funny British dude books, may I highly recommend anything by Richard Fortey (especially Dry Storeroom No. 1) and also Gerald Durrell's two memoirs (My Family and Other Animals; Birds, Beasts, and Relatives). Durrell's books make me laugh out loud every time.

In terms of vet books, I liked Zoobiquity, and I'm liking Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus.

If you're looking for animal/science/nature/funny British dude books, may I highly recommend anything by Richard Fortey (especially Dry Storeroom No. 1) and also Gerald Durrell's two memoirs (My Family and Other Animals; Birds, Beasts, and Relatives). Durrell's books make me laugh out loud every time.

Ha! As much as I love a good funny British dude book, I'd go for anything vet med/animal science related. Sometimes the funny British dudes are the best though. :) Thanks for the suggestions!

David Perrin is a Canadian vet and author. His first title is "Don't Turn Your Back in the Barn" and there are a few others in the series following him building a mixed practice in rural BC. Quite funny as well as veterinary. There's also another... Scottish vet working in Africa as I recall. Can't remember the author's name right now but look up "Wrestling with Rhinos."

So many books for my month off this summer! Exciting! Thanks for the input!

I just bought Rabid yesterday. I was wandering through a local bookstore and it just jumped out at me! I remembered that you'd suggested it so I bought it. I'm excited to start it later today!

I just bought Rabid yesterday. I was wandering through a local bookstore and it just jumped out at me! I remembered that you'd suggested it so I bought it. I'm excited to start it later today!

I hope you like it!

I'm currently part way through The Beak of the Finch, which isn't as up-to-date as a lot of the sciency books I read are because it was written in the mid 90's. It's about Peter and Rosemary Grant and their decades-long evolution study of the finches in the Galapagos, along with info about other long-running evolution studies. It's got a great narrative structure so far; the author really makes me invested in those finches!

I hope you like it!

I'm currently part way through The Beak of the Finch, which isn't as up-to-date as a lot of the sciency books I read are because it was written in the mid 90's. It's about Peter and Rosemary Grant and their decades-long evolution study of the finches in the Galapagos, along with info about other long-running evolution studies. It's got a great narrative structure so far; the author really makes me invested in those finches!

Oh that sounds interesting too! So many books, so little time! Geez!

I'm reading The Rhino with the Glue-on Shoes right now and I'm really enjoying it. It's a compilation of stories put together by Lucy Spelman DVM, and Ted Mashima DVM of different zoo, aquarium, and wildlife vets and their most memorable cases. It's a really fun read :)

David Perrin is a Canadian vet and author. His first title is "Don't Turn Your Back in the Barn" and there are a few others in the series following him building a mixed practice in rural BC. Quite funny as well as veterinary. There's also another... Scottish vet working in Africa as I recall. Can't remember the author's name right now but look up "Wrestling with Rhinos."

Jerry Haigh! He also wrote Of Moose and Men and The Trouble With Lions

Jerry Haigh! He also wrote Of Moose and Men and The Trouble With Lions

That's the name! I haven't read the other two, I'll have to look them up at the library.

Hi, bumping this thread to see if there are any new books people have stumbled upon and liked :) Looking for a good summer read relating to vets or I guess studying animals, in general. On the APVMA Facebook, someone just suggested the book "Portrait of a Burger as a Young Calf."

9780140272673.jpg

Followed by

513VGD8BJKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Repeat

He's from the town next to where I grew up! He actually preg-checked our cows once when I was a wee one.

That's pretty cool that you have a connection!

I just finished the Dr. Laurie Hess book "Unlikely Companions. The adventures of an exotic animal Doctor", highly recommended.