Veterinary experience/animal expererience help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superwock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a senior in high school, and will be attending a university next fall pursuing an undergraduate degree in Pre Veterinary Medicine. Some background info of me is 6 AP classes, 3.9 cumulative gpa, 27 ACT. My ultimate goal is to get my degree, get accepted into Ohio State's vet school, graduate, maybe specialize in surgery, and own my own practice. I was wondering when I should start asking vets to shadow them this summer or during my studies in college. My plan is to get some animal shelter hours, maybe some ranch hours with horses, and a lot of hours with a vet, a small animal clinic mainly because that is what I plan to own. Any help or information is helpful, thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

The earlier you can start the better. Once you get into university you may find you have less free time than you think you'll have, so being able to start before would be a good idea. Also by starting early you'll be able to start building relationships with the vets so that when the time comes you'll get great eLORs.
I think you have a great plan, and I wish I was as sure as you when I was in high school (and also had those grades!).