Veterinary Medical School Admissions Requirements Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you use the VMSAR book

• Bought it and found it useful.

Votes: 45 42.5%
  • Bought it and didn't find it useful.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Used it but didn't buy it.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Didn't buy it but knew about it

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Didn't know about it.

Votes: 21 19.8%

• Total voters

StartingoverVet

Flight Instructor for hire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you used the VMSAR book. I got it before I applied and found it to be an amazingly useful resource in deciding what I needed to do and where to apply. Of course that was well before I found this forum.

It seems to me that a lot of people don't realize the amount of info it contains or just don't find it useful.. Personally, I think it should be one of the first things a potential applicant should check out.

What do y'all think? Did you buy it? Use it? Hear of it?

Members don't see this ad.

I bought one probably 6 years ago and used it to help prepare for what i'd need to take in college. I bought another one last year to make sure that I had everything. I found it really useful and I still find myself looking at it even after i've applied

I was just wondering how many of you used the VMSAR book. I got it before I applied and found it to be an amazingly useful resource in deciding what I needed to do and where to apply. Of course that was well before I found this forum.

It seems to me that a lot of people don't realize the amount of info it contains or just don't find it useful.. Personally, I think it should be one of the first things a potential applicant should check out.

What do y'all think? Did you buy it? Use it? Hear of it?

I bought it and loved it. I bought it from Barnes and Noble. I hadn't used it the other 2 times I had applied but instead checked every schools website that I applied to. This cycle I broadened my application scope so it was definitely a huge help. Not to mention the fact that some schools have websites that are REALLY hard to navigate so that was another reason I got it. It also really helped me decide where to apply to since it breaks down all the stats of students accepted (IS vs OOS).

Members don't see this ad :)
I never even looked at it. I figured between SDN, the AVMA site, school's websites, and googling specific questions, I pretty much got it covered. I can see how other people would want all the information in one place, and would be willing to pay instead of hunting down the info.

I didn't even know about it until I heard about it on here.
If I reapply next cycle, I will at least peruse a copy to see if I want to buy it!

Probably would've been better off with it, but SDN answered pretty much any question I had.

This book was like my best friend. It helped me determine which schools were going to be my best bets according to the classes taken, GPA, number of students accepted vs number that applied, etc... I loved it! Even before it was time to apply, it made it so much easier to go through and highlight and bookmark than going to each school's site and trying to find their stats pages and requirements pages. Granted, mine was a few years old by the time I applied, but it still made the initial process of getting organized much easier than I thought it would be.

I didn't know about it. Even if I had, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Much like the other posts here, I bought it and also loved it as a resource for schools while applying. All of the information in the book is still available (almost everything is on the AAVMC site, I posted a link at the bottom. Anything that's not covered there I'm sure you could find the info on the college's website).
The book was still well worth the purchase because it contains all of the info in one, easy-to-store/access/use book. I went to the AAVMC website so many times to check and recheck that I completed everything for colleges and to help decide which to apply to that I ended up just buying the book and couldn't have been happier with the decision. Get it.

Link to AAVMC (at the website, go to Applying to Veterinary School > College Specific Requirements > College Specifications): http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htmhttp://http//www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htm

Probably would've been better off with it, but SDN answered pretty much any question I had.

thats because people with the books whip them out to answer all the detailed stats Qs or prereq Qs for each school :laugh:

IMO-buy this book it is great

Members don't see this ad :)
I used it but didn't buy it... borrowed the 05-06 edition from a friend, and truthfully only used it when planning out prereqs and deciding which schools to apply to. Once I actually started VMCAS I referred to websites only.

Didn't even hear about it till I joined SDN in November! haha. I just looked at the AAVMC website in May for the first time and got every thing I needed. My bio major required me to take almost all pre-reqs for schools so it didnt even matter. I got real lucky I guess, haha.

It is a fabulous resource, especially for those of you that want to see it all in black and white. I did not apply to US schools, but think it would help tremendously in helping to choose which schools to apply. I definitely recommend it.

I sold mine to rileyroo and now I guess I might be needing it again, huh?

I either loaned or gave my copy away last year (not sure what I told her when I handed it over after I decided to apply to only 1 school last cycle)... now I am debating tactfully asking for it back versus buying the new edition. Catch is that she didn't get in this cycle either, so she may still want it! Maybe I'll just buy the new one in April...

I agree that all the info can be found on the internet, but having it all right there is so convenient!

Bought the book and loved it. I'm a big stats person so it was nice to have that in my hands. I highly recommend it.

In the spirit of giving, I will send my copy from this past year's cycle to anyone who wants it, free of cost. PM me if you're interested.

In the spirit of giving, I will send my copy from this past year's cycle to anyone who wants it, free of cost. PM me if you're interested.

Ohh, someone's in the giving spirit after getting in! ;-)

In the spirit of giving I will send MY copy from this past year's cycle to anyone who wants it, if they reimburse shipping cost. PM me if you're interested. See, I am not as generous as Nyanko!

Something to think about for anyone getting an older version of VMSAR such as the ones Nyanko and Startingovervet have so generously offered, although the majority of the information in the VMSAR book stays the same, some of the content does change in the updated versions (prerequisites, for example), so it's always a good idea to check http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htm

I also knew about it but did not buy it because I figured I could look at all of the websites for free. So I just wrote down all of the info from the websites and I had my own mini-info-packet for the schools I was applying to. I may look into it should I need it next year I am really hoping I do not need it though! :xf:

... Not to mention the fact that some schools have websites that are REALLY hard to navigate so that was another reason I got it.

I did not use it to apply this time (first time), but if I don't get in this year, I will probably get one for the above reason. I am also one of those people who likess all my information in printed form, everything essentially side-by-side, which is pretty much what this thing is.

I bought the book when I was first contemplating vet school while a young sophomore in college...about 8 or 9 years ago. I didn't end up applying after college but it was a fantastic resouce.

This time I thought about purchasing it but with the internet and SDN I didn't really feel I needed it. Although that being said I did end up compiling Excel spreadsheets of schools I was applying to, their pre-reqs, if I had everything completed, when things needed to be done by etc. So I guess in that way the book would have been nice in that I could have just marked things off as I went through.

Most of the time I used the schools websites and the school info listed on the VMCAS website. I also printed out those pages and kept them in a "vet school apps" folder for easy/quick reference.

Despite not using it I would still definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of applying

Ok. So based on the results there was definitely a bias to finding the book very useful and I am going to try refer many of the newbies who visit this site to reference this thread, especially when their question would be answered by the website or book.

I wanted to make sure there people mostly agreed with me on its usefulness.
Thanks for your comments and votes. 78 votes means we can fill up a class at some schools. Time to start an SDN Vet School.

:thumbup: Let's do it. What state should we put the vet school in? My vote is for AZ, but I am biased because we need more vet schools out west.

I vote for Hawaii. Wait, is this school accredited? :)

Hawaii sounds good, but it will be expensive to move all of your stuff over there. Not to mention taking pets over with you is really time-consuming and expensive. And which island would we put the vet school on?

Sri Lanka is gone?! When did this happen?

Man, that was like, my favorite island. I'm gonna miss it!

Sad thing is I'm half-serious. I think the name is awesome.

Island disappears into the ocean. Our future vet school island cannot do this.

Atlantis Veterinary College. Has a nice ring to it.

:thumbup: Let's do it. What state should we put the vet school in? My vote is for AZ, but I am biased because we need more vet schools out west.

Look at that! My how times have changed.

:laugh: I like it. It can be like the secret vet school that only privileged SDN people know about.

Well that cat is out of the bag

Reactions: 1 users