Veterinary Pharmacology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_DVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have had pharmacology in veterinary school, what was your pharmacology class like? Do you go in depth over michaelis-menton kinetics? How does it relate to your undergrad Biochem class? I was just wondering: out of all the classes in the veterinary curriculum, this one worries me the most.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who have had pharmacology in veterinary school, what was your pharmacology class like? Do you go in depth over michaelis-menton kinetics? How does it relate to your undergrad Biochem class? I was just wondering: out of all the classes in the veterinary curriculum, this one worries me the most.

Before I give you my answer I'll say that every school handles each class differently so I can only give you my answer for my school. There are a lot of classes to be potentially terrified of in vet school, and pharm could be one of them, but it ended up being my favorite set of classes and is obviously extremely important to clinical practice. Don't let preconceived notions trip you up.

At AVC, they kind of did away with the biochem part of pharm and just focused on the practicalities: classes of drugs and their uses, essentially. We talk about mode of action and volume of distribution and all that jazz, but none of this Michaelis-Menton kinetics stuff. It had essentially nothing to do with my biochem class from undergrad.

I was kind of thinking that the way your pharmacology class is laid out, is more of how it would be in vet school according to vets that I have talked to. Hopefully this will be the case wherever I get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I give you my answer I'll say that every school handles each class differently so I can only give you my answer for my school. There are a lot of classes to be potentially terrified of in vet school, and pharm could be one of them, but it ended up being my favorite set of classes and is obviously extremely important to clinical practice. Don't let preconceived notions trip you up.

At AVC, they kind of did away with the biochem part of pharm and just focused on the practicalities: classes of drugs and their uses, essentially. We talk about mode of action and volume of distribution and all that jazz, but none of this Michaelis-Menton kinetics stuff. It had essentially nothing to do with my biochem class from undergrad.
Just chiming in that it's the same at WesternU.

you do realize how silly it is to be worrying about a class years before you'll take it? undergrad classes do not translate to vet school classes. you might be a 4.0 undergrad student who struggles to get Cs in vet school or visa verse. curriculums and course layouts change. you will be just fine when it all finally rolls around :)

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard this before....somewhere....years ago...

:p

Edit: Sniped by @LetItSnow...

Who's Michaelis-Menton?

Michaelis-Menton is a topic covered in biochem, which basically is a mathematical expression of how the rate of a Rxn proceeds in the presence or absence on an enzyme.

Michaelis-Menton is a topic covered in biochem, which basically is a mathematical expression of how the rate of a Rxn proceeds in the presence or absence on an enzyme.
He's kidding. Potentially hinting at the fact that it might not be as big of a deal as you think to be this worried about Mr. Menton. I can never tell with LIS. :p

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah, don't remember learning that in biochem.

I remember learning about rates of reactions with/without enzymes, but don't recall it being called by any specific name.

He's kidding. Potentially hinting at the fact that it might not be as big of a deal as you think to be this worried about Mr. Menton. I can never tell with LIS. :p

I don't think he's kidding, to be honest.

I had to do a google search to figure out what was being talked about.

Yeah, this is how it has worked where I have gone to school.

But I wouldn't be worrying about it right now, just deal with the class when you get there.

I remember it, but all it is are the graphical representations of the reaction rates. Nothing crazy, it was kind of just a "burn this image into your brain for the test." There's also actual equations that go along with it, but I didn't have to know those for my undergrad class. So maybe the OP is worried about those, because memorizing those looks to be not so fun.

Maybe it's taught depending on the book/school?

we went over it briefly to understand why the drug works the way it does and what peaks/troughs it has. But nothing major. and certainly not very important in vet med

We didn't go over M-M kinetics in pharm (ohio state).

We didn't go over M-M kinetics in pharm (ohio state).
Yay! Lol I am actually in a pharmacology class now at my undergrad, and we did do MM and enzyme kinetics etc.. So Ill be glad to brain dump that after this class! hahaha ;)

Yay! Lol I am actually in a pharmacology class now at my undergrad, and we did do MM and enzyme kinetics etc.. So Ill be glad to brain dump that after this class! hahaha ;)
Oh don't worry. First year pharm is a beast enough without it. Hahaha.

we went over it briefly to understand why the drug works the way it does and what peaks/troughs it has. But nothing major. and certainly not very important in vet med
Yep, we touched on it mostly to discuss loading dose and monitoring. I think most of it was in relation to phenobarb and KBr, maybe some chemotherapy thrown in. Nothing too overwhelming.

Who's Michaelis-Menton?
Lol guess who we talked about in biochem today! I'm actually pretty surprised that with a few minutes of review, some of this stuff feels a little bit familiar.

Okay, a tiny, tiny bit.