Veterinary Student Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flying Eagle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Veterinary Student Scholarships

Best Vet Scholarships from National Organizations and Colleges
Students aspiring to be veterinarians are truly committed to the profession and to helping animals. But veterinary programs can be unforgiving when it comes to length of time to earn the degree and cost for funding. Thankfully there are many options for scholarships.
National Organizations

We Care Paws-itive Dog Club Scholarship is available to students who are majoring in an animal-related medical field.
The Thoroughbred Scholarship is available to students who wish to pursue a career in veterinary medicine or agricultural science with an emphasis on equine medicine, racetrack management or equine business management. To be eligible, students must be 25 years of age or younger, have at least a C average in high school and must show a financial need. See the pdf.
The Saul T. Wilson Jr. Scholarship Program is for undergraduates and graduates enrolled in college full time and in good academic standing. Undergraduates must have completed at least 2 years of a 4 year pre-veterinary medicine or some other biomedical science program. Graduates must have completed no more than 1 year of study in veterinary medicine. Students must agree to work for the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service during school breaks. See the pdf.
The American Kennel Club sponsors the Veterinary Student Scholarships to full time students enrolled at a veterinary school in the U.S. Students are selected for scholarships based on academic achievement, financial need and activities with purebred dogs or related.
School Specific

Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine in Massachusetts offers several scholarship opportunities:
  • George I. Alden Scholarship Fund provides assistance to deserving students studying veterinary medicine.
  • Rosamond "Darby" A. Chambers Scholarship Fund proves scholarships to veterinary medicine students.
  • John F. and Georgia O'Neill Flagg Scholarship Fund for Wildlife Medicine provide assistance to students who are studying veterinary medicine with an emphasis on wildlife medicine.
Scholarship with Restrictions

Veterinary Scholarship Trust of New England awards yearly scholarships to New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, or Vermont) students attending any veterinary school in the U.S. as long as they are in good standing.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers scholarships for full time students who are in financial need and from disadvantaged backgrounds. Students must be enrolled in a degree program for nursing or health professions.
Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges offers several scholarships:
  • The Harold Wetterberg Foundation awards scholarships to current or past New Jersey residents who are currently enrolled in post-graduate education in the veterinary medicine field.
  • The Secretary's Award for Innovations in Health Promotion and Disease Prevention is for students enrolled in a bachelor's degree program in any health science field. This is a writing competition.
  • The Hill's Public Health Award is for students enrolled in a veterinary program at a college associated with the Federation of Associations of Schools of the Health Professions. This is another writing competition with veterinary medicine as the topic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a great thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
*bump*!

(Thought this might be a good thread to resurrect )

Did anyone out there apply to this scholarship? (Deadline was March 1.) I am just wondering if anyone has heard back. I applied, but I STILL haven't heard anything in the way of results back from them. The most recent thing I heard was several weeks ago telling us that when they knew anything they'd email us. However, their literature also says that they'll notify before the start of the Fall term...which has now become untrue.

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Excuse me for bringing back a really old thread, but a lot of the info is probably still helpful...

Anyway, I was wondering if VAgirl or anyone else ever did hear back about the Saul Wilson scholarship. I want to work for the USDA, but I'm more interested in FSIS than APHIS... However, if they'll pay $10,000 for four years it's a better deal (FSIS will pay back $10,000 for two years according to their website.)

So, any news?

Excuse me for bringing back a really old thread, but a lot of the info is probably still helpful...

Anyway, I was wondering if VAgirl or anyone else ever did hear back about the Saul Wilson scholarship. I want to work for the USDA, but I'm more interested in FSIS than APHIS... However, if they'll pay $10,000 for four years it's a better deal (FSIS will pay back $10,000 for two years according to their website.)

So, any news?

I'm in the same boat with you-except for this year! I tried calling the number on the brochure & website, and a message says that the number is no longer in operation. Im curious, how many people recieve this awesome scholarship and when we get notified for anything! Obviously, before fall, but a bit more of a concise time would be convenient! :) COuld you tell me how you were notified of anything please?

Last edited:
I am curious as well, has any ever gotten this scholarship? Did anyone apply for this round?

I am curious as well, has any ever gotten this scholarship? Did anyone apply for this round?

I did apply this year and was rejected first round. Sorry not more info than that. :(

I did apply this year and was rejected first round. Sorry not more info than that. :(

sorry to hear that :( I've just read a lot about the Saul T. Wilson internship online, but I've never actually heard of anyone that was selected. I would like to ask them questions about it because it seems like a good program if it actually exists...I wonder how many people they select for it/ how competitive it is.

Does anyone one know of any similar internships as this excluding the army stuff and the international version of the Saul T. Wilson internship?

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but have any of you lovely people heard anything about the Saul T. Wilson program? I made it through the first round of applicants this year and would love to talk to someone who is in or went through the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had it my last year of undergrad, but then lost it due to taking a gap year. I applied again this year but didn't upload a transcript that said I graduated, so I got disqualified:(

Just make sure you get your 3 letters of rec in on time, I know I had like barely 2 weeks to get them all together once I got notified.

I had it my last year of undergrad, but then lost it due to taking a gap year. I applied again this year but didn't upload a transcript that said I graduated, so I got disqualified:(

Just make sure you get your 3 letters of rec in on time, I know I had like barely 2 weeks to get them all together once I got notified.

I'm very interested in applying for Saul T Wilson this spring and I might have questions for you.

As an aside, someone at LSU got it last year!

Hit me up whenever rocky. FB will probably get my attention better

How many do they give per year? I'm almost positive I won't get it, but I'm still trying lol

A whole lot of these links are broken. Does anyone happen to have updated locations?

Speaking about scholarships.. Are there any schools well known for that? As in giving incoming first years scholarships to offset high OOS costs?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Speaking about scholarships.. Are there any schools well known for that? As in giving incoming first years scholarships to offset high OOS costs?

Scholarships won't make dents in debt. Sorry! At that, they're rarely given to incoming students.

Reactions: 1 users
@rockatiel alright then! Lol thanks! I'll just pray that I get into my IS that'll make things a little less expensive

Penn gives recruitment scholarships in some cases and it is a significant amount of money ($25k/yr for all four years, or full tuition coverage for some aspiring LA people). I was actually fortunate enough to receive one and would hands down have attended my IS if not for it. My guess is that UC Davis, UPenn, and Cornell are the three most likely institutions to grant larger scholarships, since their massive (at least for vet schools) research programs bring in a lot of money.

Reactions: 2 users
Penn gives recruitment scholarships in some cases and it is a significant amount of money ($25k/yr for all four years, or full tuition coverage for some aspiring LA people). I was actually fortunate enough to receive one and would hands down have attended my IS if not for it. My guess is that UC Davis, UPenn, and Cornell are the three most likely institutions to grant larger scholarships, since their massive (at least for vet schools) research programs bring in a lot of money.
For LA? Thats incredible....Im trying to find that on their website, do you know of a direct link or who to contact for details on these scholarships, especially for the LA students?

Thank you!!

For LA? Thats incredible....Im trying to find that on their website, do you know of a direct link or who to contact for details on these scholarships, especially for the LA students?

Thank you!!

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/education/admissions/faqs

Last tab talks about scholarships. I'm pretty sure someone from the admissions committee would be happy to explain things further. Also note that you have to be a Pennsylvania resident with food animal interest to qualify for full tuition; sorry I didn't remember that.

Some people can cover a significant part of their debt through scholarships. However, there are some caveats to consider.

One, they are usually in state. It's tougher to make a dent in OOS tuition.
Two, they are usually academic scholarships, so we're talking top 3 or 4 kids in the class.
Three, the same person usually gets multiple scholarships (and applies for basically everything they can).
Four, the person usually has extracurriculars that help as well - volunteer work, club involvement, wetlab participation. All that.
Five, they may start with a scholarship to begin with - like an incentive to attend - which isn't huge, but add it in with everything else and it helps.

It's gonna be that person where you wonder where they have the time to do all the stuff they do and still manage to makes straight As. So yeah, it can happen, but the odds that you (any 'you' out there, any one person) will be the one doing all the crazy things... yeah. I mean. I know I wasn't. Lol.

I keep thinking wow $25k off each year. The I remember that would just bring Penn tuition down to maybe closer to what other vet schools' tuition is.

I keep thinking wow $25k off each year. The I remember that would just bring Penn tuition down to maybe closer to what other vet schools' tuition is.

Haha indeed. It'll still be 25k/yr to attend, which is the same price as my IS. Given my research interests, though, Penn was simply the better fit. They've encouraged me to apply to their VMD-PhD program, which I'm very strongly considering... but eight more years of school makes my heart and brain ache.

Haha indeed. It'll still be 25k/yr to attend, which is the same price as my IS. Given my research interests, though, Penn was simply the better fit. They've encouraged me to apply to their VMD-PhD program, which I'm very strongly considering... but eight more years of school makes my heart and brain ache.

25k/year in only tuition. Looking at all of their fees and COL.... OOS totals ate at 88K per year. So you drop it to 60ishK per year which is still the same as most OOS schools. I mean 25k per year scholarship is amazing but it still just made me laugh when I realized what that meant for an OOS attending there.

25k/year in only tuition. Looking at all of their fees and COL.... OOS totals ate at 88K per year. So you drop it to 60ishK per year which is still the same as most OOS schools. I mean 25k per year scholarship is amazing but it still just made me laugh when I realized what that meant for an OOS attending there.

Not sure what the method to their budget-determining madness is, but their COL estimate is absurd. They factor in something like $30k for room and board + misc expenses. My rent in Philly will be 500/month and, having stayed with family there for research stints up at Penn several times, my groceries run around 240/month. Buddy of mine is a second year there and said that you can subtract at least 15k from that budget if you're of the more frugal hue. Now if you intend to live in center city, go out for drinks every week, and can't cook for yourself or be bothered to make your own coffee, then sure, expect to pay out of the ass for the high life city experience. My budgeted 45k total is unfortunately higher than desired, but it's certainly much lower than their wild estimate.

I applied and was rejected two years in a row. Sad.
Did you make it through the rec letter stage? If so,when were you notified that you didnt make it? Im trying to figure out when to expect an email about a decision.

Did you make it through the rec letter stage? If so,when were you notified that you didnt make it? Im trying to figure out when to expect an email about a decision.
It was about 4 months for me before I found out I got it after the letters of rec were submitted, but it seemed like they were moving alot faster this year. I think I read they wanted everything done by July? My whole process wasn't done until October (this was 2 years ago)