#VetSchoolHigh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulesMichy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the content at the #VetSchoolHigh tumblr account? There are frequent, derogatory references to offshore students, and it's getting really inappropriate and rude. For example: http://vetschoolhigh.tumblr.com/pos...-listening-to-some-of-the-offshores-discuss-a

We're supposed to be colleagues and professionals. This is hurtful and damages an already awkward relationship between offshore students and stateside students at their clinical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. That blog has its moments, but that's pretty uncalled for. I'd be happy to give her a piece of my mind. Ask button clicked.

FWIW, every offshore student I have had rotate on my service has been phenomenal.

From a comment on the post, it seems #VSH is mostly run by U of Florida students. Any Gators around? Is this the general atmosphere around those parts? I have Rossie friends there. It makes me angry and concerned for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a comment on the post, it seems #VSH is mostly run by U of Florida students. Any Gators around? Is this the general atmosphere around those parts? I have Rossie friends there. It makes me angry and concerned for them.

I didn't go there, but I work with a lot of UF grads and they typically get along great with overseas students and have great things to say. this surprised me.

I'm from Florida, but am not attending UF. I've noticed a lot of students and older grads sharing that attitude. Most of the recent grads I've spoken to, that have rotated through the hospital I work at, have lost that outlook towards offshore students. That being said, I've seen the disdain shared by not just the veterinary students but those of other disciplines as well.

That's a bit disappointing. If the offshore schools weren't providing the proper education, why the hell would they be AVMA accredited? RVC got shining reviews from the AVMA when it's accreditation was renewed last fall.

In the end we all become vets. No need to be snarky.

Emiloo is our main UFer, AFAIK.

Yeah, that site is run by a few people. They have stayed under the radar so I'm not sure who they are. We had a lot of problems with them making fun of Freshman last year. I don't let it get to me bc I don't really care what a person in hiding thinks of me, but a lot of freshman were pretty upset about it. We even had seniors pissed about how ridiculous they were being toward freshman.
To answer your question, NO, this is not the general population's opinion on off shore students. At all. Please don't let a few ghost people turn you away. Most of it is just put there for a laugh, although the appropriate/professional lines have been crossed several times.

Yeah- it's run by some undetermined UF students in the class of 2014. I don't know exactly who runs it, but they are pretty much cowards to run it and stay incognito. There are some amazing individuals in the UF c/o 2014, and there are a few big jerks too. Don't let the few bad apples give an unfavorable view of UF students.

It's actually got a 2015 contributor as well, identity unknown. I feel like most people in my class are pretty accepting of the offshores that we just met a couple of months ago and the transfers that we had at the beginning of last year. I don't have any negative opinions of them. I agree that there are times when the content gets to be too mean for my taste, but I can always stop reading it...

The "4 years of vet school" one is way funnier/smarter anyway.

I'm glad to hear that this is just a few people and not a more generalized attitude at UF. I have friends in the class of 2014, so it's disheartening to hear that these individuals are sharing rotations with them. Hopefully their cowardice extends into hypocrisy and they're sweet as pie to offshore students' faces.