Technology Video editing help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proman

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope someone here can help. I have a video loop of a transesophageal echo image. There's a large black border that I'd like to crop out (really get rid of everything except the very middle of the image). I've had a bit of luck with VirtualDub but none of the cropping software lets me get rid of all the black. Everything just crops in a square. Anyone know how to do this or what software I should use?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Premiere or similar may give you better cropping options. What I'd suggest is pretty advanced, but if you need to get it done, it's not too bad. You'll basically need to grab AviSynth and crop the image as you like...and then scale the video appropriately.

What output format are you using? MPEG-4 based codecs (like XviD/H. 24) require specific output resolutions that are mod8/mod16 (depending on codec), so you'll have to keep that in mind. Can't just make an arbirtary 631x587 video without any issues.

e: if the video is releaseable, you can send it to me and I can do that for you in a pretty reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:
Premiere or similar may give you better cropping options. What I'd suggest is pretty advanced, but if you need to get it done, it's not too bad. You'll basically need to grab AviSynth and crop the image as you like...and then scale the video appropriately.

What output format are you using? MPEG-4 based codecs (like XviD/H. 24) require specific output resolutions that are mod8/mod16 (depending on codec), so you'll have to keep that in mind. Can't just make an arbirtary 631x587 video without any issues.

e: if the video is releaseable, you can send it to me and I can do that for you in a pretty reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for the response. A friend showed me how Final Cut Express can do it. I don't have it and won't have time to get it. I need it done by Saturday. I'll send you think if that's enough time. Otherwise I'll just use semi-cropped video.