Video games in med school - who still does it?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So with all the new games coming out this year (gta5, ac3, bioshock infinite, gow, what else am I missing?), who's gonna miss being a free man?

You're missing Guild Wars 2 and D3, silly non-MMO-playing person :p

Members don't see this ad.

I refuse to believe that D3 is an MMO...I swear I've grown out of those...I swear...

Well considering you HAVE to be online now to play D3 (unlike d2 which you could play off line too) I would be led to believe it is more of a MMO than not.

Also, if video games make you happy you should continue to play them. It is absolutely ridiculous to think that you have to stop playing them because med school starts. A happy med student preforms better than an unhappy one... keep that in mind, just play in moderation (as much as possible haha) and make sure you get your work done!

Members don't see this ad :)
Balance is key. I would say if you're going to play vidya games, you need to get out and exercise too.

the diablo series has never not been an MMO... just because you had the option to play offline doesnt change this.

I'm too easily addicted to games so I avoid them. I have no self control when it comes to them. If I were to install D3 today my summer would be pissed away nearly entirely I'm sure.

Max Payne, how I missed you so. If you have free time, do yourself a favor and play this. Brooding protagonist, over the top violence, bullet time... what's not to like? :thumbup:

Haha I'm gonna spend my summer with diablo 3 and guild wars 2. Can't even play diablo 3 right now :( servers are overloaded

Haha I'm gonna spend my summer with diablo 3 and guild wars 2. Can't even play diablo 3 right now :( servers are overloaded

That is good to know, I am sitting in class haha... probably gonna wait a while to make a char... probably should wait till after boards but whatever.

I would say some video games could actually help medical students keep their minds fit and focused. Dexterity and coordination goes a long way especially for surgeons.

I would say some video games could actually help medical students keep their minds fit and focused. Dexterity and coordination goes a long way especially for surgeons.

Every surgeon I worked with during 3rd year played video games. From the high and mighty CV surgeon to the lowly gen surg. And almost all of them played FPS. That says something about videogames, I think. And serisously? Y'all aren't giving Max Payne any love? He starts the game looking like House and he's had the fortune of being dropped into "Man on Fire". Pill poppin' addict bustin' caps... gotta love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got d3 yesterda, myself. Level 30 nightmare monk! Gotta play all I can before medical school starts and I fall behind my friends in it lol

I'm a level 31 monk! So fun. Gotta beat it today and start nightmare mode

I remember the good ol' days of flying through the cow level in Diablo 2 with my level 80 whirlwind barbarian.

In a dramatic turn of events, my 4 year old macbook pro doesn't meet the system requirements to play D3.

IT'S THE SUMMER BEFORE M1, COME ON!

Because no one said it, DOTA2 has been my crack since school ended.

I remember the good ol' days of flying through the cow level in Diablo 2 with my level 80 whirlwind barbarian.

In a dramatic turn of events, my 4 year old macbook pro doesn't meet the system requirements to play D3.

yes, D3 is a little big for its britches as far as graphics are concerned. As cartoony as it looks im surprised they have such demanding system requirements. Its kinda like putting loony toons in HD - since everything was made in MS paint to begin with, who the eff cares?

i think i read a few people with macbook pros that have the minimum system requirements actually cant play either. my pc desktop is from 2006 and can still play d3 on the lowest settings with some lag

Specter#1939

If you know what that means, you know how to use it. See you guys out there.

I just got back into it after boards. currently playing diablo 3 and definitely going to try to get into guild wars 2. I'm on OBGYN at the moment and we actually have a ton of free time... if anyone is playing D3, look me up, username is "pantala"!

Granted I just started, but I do partake in the MW3 quite frequently. I'll probably get Resident Evil 6 when it comes out in fall.

It's good to know some people are able to find time to enjoy video games in med school, or really, to pursue any other hobby one might enjoy! I definitely think it's about finding the right balance between enjoying yourself and working hard. I'm definitely not the type of person to sit down to a 10 hour marathon of CoD or D3. I find that if I play any longer than 1.5-2 hours in one sitting, I don't enjoy the game as much anymore and need to do something else. The next time I pick it up, it's fresh again and I'm good to go. The longest time I've played at one time was about 3 hours when I was nearing the end of Arkham City and just had to get to the conclusion. Best game I've played since I started gaming again a few months ago.

It's good to know some people are able to find time to enjoy video games in med school, or really, to pursue any other hobby one might enjoy! I definitely think it's about finding the right balance between enjoying yourself and working hard. I'm definitely not the type of person to sit down to a 10 hour marathon of CoD or D3. I find that if I play any longer than 1.5-2 hours in one sitting, I don't enjoy the game as much anymore and need to do something else. The next time I pick it up, it's fresh again and I'm good to go. The longest time I've played at one time was about 3 hours when I was nearing the end of Arkham City and just had to get to the conclusion. Best game I've played since I started gaming again a few months ago.

Arkham City is absolutely amazing.

If you're on ps3 have u gotten the DLC to work? Mine was corrupted and I had to scrap my save file

Mine seemed to work fine I guess. Last one I did was the Harliquine's Revenge one a little while back.

You know a game is good when your girlfriend sneers at the mere mention of its name.

Harley Quinn ;) come now, she is crazy, not genetically mutated lol

and yes, my gf knows to get angry any time I utter "Fus Ro Dah!" :laugh:

they must have fixed the issues then, I may try to redownload and play through again. I am out of video games as I just beat darksiders 2 and the DLC isnt released yet.... AC-III.... hurry the eff up