View on Complications of psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartOfWarmth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over my past experiences with Psychiatry and especially Child psychiatry, i have seen numerous dilemmas which has bottled my mind:
Firstly i don't speak with amazing knowledge since i'm "young". So don't go throttling your guns

1. In some terms I've accepted that quote House" most patients are idiots" which my psychiatrist tells me"unfaithful". I just see that psychiatry even through we are trying to do whats best for the patient and our decisions are made in their best interest, parents and especially adolescents start criticizing that their "terrible" doing "stuff wrong" and that their opinion of"something" stands at a better decision. To me its been frustrating to see as well as (i kinda shouted and texted him in my "not good phases") which i learn't after shouting your never increasing the medication and obviously its not working. (in my defense i didn't know about desensitization)
2. I feel like their are many external influences depicting the negativity in psychiatry, as i've seen in religion, philosophy, a bit of psychiatry, books and the old man sitting on the street saying he can tell you about your health. And these have had great influences leaving children preaching to a religion saying that happiness would be attained through the intervention of god and never questioning rather that maybe their religion wants them to get help.
3. people say that Physicians get a lot and especially psychiatry which is not the case. From the experience with my psychiatrist (who is worth his weight in diamonds!). most patients he sees who are severely sick without the financial ability to see a psychiatrist he purely takes the medicare fee and charges nothing. This just highlights that most mentally ill patients may not have the capacity to function or work in society leading them unable to afford seeing a psychiatrist regularly. Which underpins that psychiatrist do their job for the "love of helping" and are not "baddies"
4. I've seen some horrible stuff and was brought up in a very hostile environment seeing a lot of mental illnesses and myself being sick lately and i'm quite sure that i screwed this year of high school severely. But! i've only been on complete remission around this time of year which my brain sometimes derives astounding heights in memory and cognitive function. I would like to believe genius level:) . But i've got friends which i treat as patients(which they understand) and i see them regularly cause their parents ! said it was a waste of money!!!! which bothers my mind and she has ADHD AND OCD and she cuts and drinks alcohol to sleep and she's below 14. which then the parents proceed to shout and chop her up for drinking and cutting which is a terrible idea. with the fact that alcohol is a symptom of the D2 and A2 system overreacting leading to the manifestation of alcohol impulsiveness. Adding on to that stress+ADHD is a great combo :mad: (parents are idiots too)
Lastly i would like to thank all the psychiatrists. Since the benefit-cost ratio is terrible in psychiatry and even though you get the S$*%'s sometimes you still hang in there. eg. psychiatrist's who are endangered species, child psychiatrists which are rare species, and child psychiatrist which provide therapy is a 0.00001% of encountering
I just wondered how you viewed these issues?
:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

Members don't see this ad.