Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Richmond (MCV) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlg972

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this review may be a little late, but better late than never.

People: This is really important to me. Almost everyone was really nice and happy to answer questions or help you with whatever you needed. The PD is impressive and I like the asst. PD as well, but I think she is leaving soon. The residents seem happy and down to earth.

Facilities: The department is pretty good right now, but they are often overcrowded. They are building a new department that is to be done in 6-9 months I think.

Curriculum: They just changed to 13 x 4wk system for each year, which allowed them add some more ED time. I think their curriculum is very strong overall. Plenty of trauma experience and 2nd years are able to run traumas without difficulty.

City: Most of Richmond is really nice. The COL isn't bad either. There are some more questionable parts of the city, which contributes to their trauma a little but I guess that comes with any medium to large city.

The only downside I saw was that their pt population is mostly indigent. They definitely deal with a lot of very sick pts, but I wish there was a little more diversity. Overall a really strong program.

Members don't see this ad.

Residents-all high-energy, enthusiastic people. More so than at any other program I've visited, they seem happy with their training. They are from various parts of the country, and are extraordinarily pleased to be training at VCU. Many of them showed up to the pre-interview dinner, and they were a lot of fun in addition to being informative.

Faculty-I only met the three faculty with whom I interviewed. PD comes across as a genuine, enthusiastic guy, not unlike most other PD's you'll meet. He's very pro-resident, and he's been around since the beginning of the program. There are associate and assistant PD's as well. Whichever one of those titles is the guy (Dr. Marx?) is really cool. Maybe it's d/t oru sharing some interests, but I feel like I had a terrific interview with him. Akbarnia is the other faculty member. She's young, trained at VCU, and is quite pleasant. The interview was kinda scripted with her, but by no means bad.

Facilities--nothing too extraordinary, but far from the worst. The ED has a medical and surgical side if I remember right, but they downplayed that and said it really didn't have a lot of bearing on where the pts went. The ED is dated, but they are building a brand new 25,000 sq ft addition. I think that the current ED will still be used, and the new space will be for fast track, etc. BUT, I'm not sure about that. The new space will be the ground floor of a multi-level building housing all critical care beds. It looks like it will be very snazzy.

Curriculum--I don't remember too much off the top of my head. It's 3 years, and everything seemed pretty standard except for one thing-- they don't have any ultrasound people. You can self-teach or learn from a couple attendings who sometimes use US. That's a major drawback for me, BUT, they are recruiting a big-time US person for next year. Supposedly they were interviewing him/her a few weeks ago. I need to contact the program to see if they are signing someone on.

Patients-- It's hard to know this from just what they say, but my impression is that there are fair numbers of indigent and trauma patients. One of the second years had just cracked her second chest of the year! They said that procedures are too abundant to go around; that interns are doing many invasive procedures. Sounds great to me!

City--not a lot of time to drive around the city, but it seemed very nice to me. However, I live in a very undesirable location now, so my treasure may well be your trash. Some residents live downtown, where there are other young professionals. There are distinct neighborhoods in the city from what I hear. They all said that housing was affordable (to rent or buy), but again, that depends on your current hometown. Compared to where I live, it's quite expensive to buy in Richmond. Maybe most of the residents are from bigger cities, making Richmond seem cheap to them.

The hospital is right beside the Confederate White House and some sort of Confederate Museum, so you get a nice sense of history being downtown. Traffic seemed very reasonable, and the airport is close. Both beaches and mountains are w/in driving distance for a nice weekend trip. Climate is mild.

Overall--I should add this to the "programs that surprised you" thread. The program was added to my interview list almost as an afterthought, because I wanted to go to at least 10 places. I was fortunate enough to be able to pick from many interview offers, but there were only a few that I REALLY thought I wanted to go to. I ended up LOVING this program. I can really find no fault with it, save for the lack of ultrasound experience. However, that is currently being addressed. I think this program will be my biggest surprise of the season.

I am a resident at VCU that regrets not writing this during my interview season. There were a couple of requests for reviews of the program last year. I wanted to give a taste to this year's candidates.
I interviewed at 12 spots in the southeast, northeast, and midwest. This place got ranked tops. I hope this conveys why. PM me with any questions.

Overview
3 year program. Very busy with tons of procedures. For my money, it is the strongest mix of trauma and medicine with a large contingent of critical care players. Heavy research and EMS experience located in a unique urban/rural interface.

Residents
8 per class. There are 10 people in the current intern class with 2 absorbed from slots left over after the folding of other programs. These “extra” slots may become permanent.
These are great people with diverse backgrounds. There are a lot of former EMSers and a few with previous experience in the military or other specialty training. Most are married and several have kids. Given these demographics, we do not get together to pound shots or go clubbing. However, there is the frequent post-shift get together. Ahh beer and omelets.

Faculty
Wicked strong teaching with a large contingent of young, enthusiastic attendings. New faculty include recruits from the hybrid Cardiology and research fellowships offered by the institution. Several of the staff are active in the Virginia DMAT. Critical Care is emphasized with 6 dual trained EM/CC attendings. The Peds ED has a combination of EM Peds boarded physicians and straight Peds training with decades of experience. Our observation unit is headed by an EM/IM boarded team that covers shifts in the department as well as time on the IM wards.
The VCURES research consortium is working on all kinds of neat stuff including rapid coagulation dressings for the military, and hgb substitutes.

Ancillary staff
Nursing is super competent. If you are asked to help with access, you will be getting a procedure either with U/S guided peripherals or a line. You are not asked to help unless there have been multiple attempts. Staff is vested in the training of residents and will seek you out for interesting cases or procedures. The institution supports the military’s Special Forces medic teams. This is where they get experience with penetrating trauma and learn how to suture, dress wounds, splint, intubate, and place chest tubes. Residents get first refusal for every procedure. These guys are enthusiastic students and are really fun to supervise once you are comfortable enough to give something away.

Curriculum
Comprised of 4 week blocks, there are 13 rotations in the year.
PGY1-EM orientation and merit badges one month, EM 4 months, then one month each of MRICU, Peds, IM, Orthopaedics, Trauma, Anesthesia, OB, EMS
PGY2-EM 6 months at MCV and one in the community, Peds EM, Tox, STICU, CSICU, Clinical Decision Unit, Radiology
PGY3-EM 10 months with one in the community, Peds EM, PICU, Head and Neck

Starting second year you manage the department. You assume responsibility for the majority of patients in your respective section for the shift. You are typically paired with an EM intern or a couple of off service folks. Third years take on more responsibility with oversight of med students and more departmental control.

After PGY1 you can participate in extra course offerings called ‘longitudinal tracts’ offered in Cardiology, Ultrasound, Tox, Peds and Admin. Selecting one of these can fulfill your research requirement, set a foundation for fellowship and give a more in depth experience in each of the subspecialties.

We are developing the first interactive web-based EM "library" with an ongoing literature discussion to augment our monthly journal clubs. Journal clubs occur once a month at an off-site restaurant. We have strong faculty turn out with good discussion on pertinent literature. Our conferences are dedicated time. We are exempt from any patient care on any service for 5 hours in the afternoon every Wednesday. Several of these didactic sessions are combination conferences with other departments E.G. IM, Neuro or Trauma.
Our EMS experience is diverse with medical direction for the city's ambulance authority centered at the facility. Medical direction for the air medical program is provided by our faculty. There is not a "flight requirement", but there are plenty of opportunities to participate in air transport.

Our chair is Joe Ornato (Autopulse, ‘chain-of survival’, therapeutic hypothermia). Cardiology is a big deal with a unique system of “leveling” chest pain, 24/7 MIBI access and EM powered cath lab activation. The urban setting in a largely rural state at the intersection of two major freeways gives a giant trauma exposure. There are good relations with surgery with shared procedures and teaching. ED owns the airways on every trauma with anesthesia standing by. The population is sick! You will leave a guru of metabolic syndrome and all of its horrifying sequelae.

Facilities
The MCV campus is one part of the much larger VCU system. The medical center proper is actually 5 hospitals joined by a series of crosswalks. The department sees 80,000+ visits a year. 20% of these are pediatric. There has been a hospital on the site since the early 1800s. It is the 4th largest teaching hospital in the country. Our community center sees ~60,000 pts. a year and is the real community deal with attendings part of a democratic group that has a heavy billing and throughput elements of EM education.
The VCU ED is composed of Green (major medical/psych), Yellow (trauma, surgical/abdominal pain), Blue (fast track), Orange (observation unit) and Purple (Peds ED). Each section has between 14 and 20 beds.
The department proper was designed for a different era of medicine. Computer access has been an issue, but that has recently been addressed with resident dedicated computers soon to be offered. The good news is that big change is coming in the immediate future.
There is a brand new enormous critical care tower scheduled to open in 2009 with a new ED being constructed on the ground floor.

Charting
Using t-sheets for documentation, but computer entry for orders. EMR is being aggressively developed with a lot of input from the department as the ED’s system intersects with the rest of the system.

Richmond is a very livable city. Most residents own their homes. It has an urban feel with access to countryside very near. DC is a two hour drive. The beach is 90 minutes , and good size mountains are an hour away. The city has excellent historical offerings if that’s your thing. Canals built by G. Washington run past iron works used by the Confederacy.
Excellent restaurants, good bars, tons of museums and a lot of parks make it a great place to live. There is world class mtn biking that goes 1 mile from the hospital. The only urban class V rapid in the east is right downtown. There are climbing crags within the downtown perimeter. There is a large emphasis on fitness and endurance racing. The Xterra games holds the East Championship here. The residency put up two teams for this race this past summer.

Negatives
As described above, the physical plant needs improvement. The city is not a metropolis, nor is it on the beach or at altitude. The patient population at MCV is largely indigent.

Positives
The department will get a new home very soon. The PD and faculty are aggressive advocates for the program. While less than a decade old, the department has a big footprint in a well developed center. The training here is excellent. Speaking with graduates, they tell me the program prepared them for their careers whether academic or community based. Graduating from this program will prepare you for any career in EM.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any updated comments or experiences with this program?

Any updated comments or experiences with this program?

I recently interviewed here. I can't add much more that the post by VCUEM above, as he/she obviously knows the program much better than I do. I will say that I came away from the interview day with a more positive impression of the program than I had going in.

There was a good resident turnout to the dinner the night before, and they all seemed happy, personable, and easy to get along with. At the interview they set up a tour of Richmond, which was very informative. Richmond is not going to be San Diego or Denver or New York, but it is a very livable city. Very affordable housing in nice areas, tons of trails and stuff to do down by the James River, and a lot of great places to eat. It's also in a central location: 2 hours to beach, 2 hours to DC, <2 hours to mountains.

My impression of this program:

STRENGTHS:
- tons of exposure to trauma and really sick patients. Would not struggle to get procedures and exposure to good pathology
- construction of new ED will be finished by next year. New trauma bay is gigantic and nice, and the rest of the ED will be new and spacious
- blue collar style program with down to earth residents, which is important to me
- great faculty with several EM/CC people, a lot of tox, and good EMS exposure
- I consider its location in Virginia a strength

WEAKNESSES:
- acuity of patients is high, but most are indigent, and diversity may be lacking (although time is spent at VA and community hospital where pt population would be different)
- they are in the process of hiring new PD. Current PD is awesome, but has been at it for a while, and it was time for him to step aside (per him). They sound optimistic about the new candidates

I recently interviewed here. I can't add much more that the post by VCUEM above, as he/she obviously knows the program much better than I do. I will say that I came away from the interview day with a more positive impression of the program than I had going in.

There was a good resident turnout to the dinner the night before, and they all seemed happy, personable, and easy to get along with. At the interview they set up a tour of Richmond, which was very informative. Richmond is not going to be San Diego or Denver or New York, but it is a very livable city. Very affordable housing in nice areas, tons of trails and stuff to do down by the James River, and a lot of great places to eat. It's also in a central location: 2 hours to beach, 2 hours to DC, <2 hours to mountains.

My impression of this program:

STRENGTHS:
- tons of exposure to trauma and really sick patients. Would not struggle to get procedures and exposure to good pathology
- construction of new ED will be finished by next year. New trauma bay is gigantic and nice, and the rest of the ED will be new and spacious
- blue collar style program with down to earth residents, which is important to me
- great faculty with several EM/CC people, a lot of tox, and good EMS exposure
- I consider its location in Virginia a strength

WEAKNESSES:
- acuity of patients is high, but most are indigent, and diversity may be lacking (although time is spent at VA and community hospital where pt population would be different)
- they are in the process of hiring new PD. Current PD is awesome, but has been at it for a while, and it was time for him to step aside (per him). They sound optimistic about the new candidates

Any word/feel for if the PD is going to be around through the entire interview/match season and the decision will be his to make on the incoming class or is the new PD something that will be very soon? I'd assume he's sticking through the match season but you never know. Also, did they say they were doing a national search or just internal?

Any word/feel for if the PD is going to be around through the entire interview/match season and the decision will be his to make on the incoming class or is the new PD something that will be very soon? I'd assume he's sticking through the match season but you never know. Also, did they say they were doing a national search or just internal?

Sounded like the current PD will be running things through the match. Also sounded like they were searching for candidates outside of VCU for a replacement.

Long time lurker, posting on alternate account in order to remain anonymous. These threads greatly helped me and as such I am paying it forward. Good luck for future medical students. I won't go into the curriculum details or specifics since those are mostly readily available on their websites, but rather I made a long pro/con detail list along my interview trail and I will highlight my thoughts from that list.

Pro: fun residents, great dinner @ night before, good COL, awesome city, great new ER with tons of toys, happy faculty, invested PD, good weather, they advertise as best hidden gem and it is great program, family friendly, very academic

Con:
Richmond is in the middle of nowhere (but I actually enjoyed it)

Overall impressions
Gut feeling:7/10
Facilities/resources: 10/10
Didactics: can't comment
Prestige: 6/10
Research: 6/10
Shift/hours/wellness: 9/10

Hey all, I used these threads (for better or worse), so figured I'd return the favor:

VCU was the biggest surprise on the trail for me, and I ranked them very high.

Pro: social was great the night before, residents were a lot of fun and relaxed, physical ED is great, trauma experience is good and the bay is awesome (TEEs in the bay for the residents to use), PD and faculty I met were very nice, lot of demographic variety in the patient population, strong EMS and ultrasound, 10 hour shifts (the Goldilocks of shifts). Richmond is a super cool city with great social and outdoors scenes...if you want a mid sized city it's pretty hard to beat, Magnet recognized nursing (look it up if you're not familiar, this is a big pro I didn't know about til after the rank).

Con:
location can be a turn off for some if you need a big city, less ICU time than other programs (4 months, 5 if you count VA acute cardiac team), not a brand name (if you care, though as I'm sure you've heard by now in EM it doesn't particularly matter), wilderness medicine not a big deal here yet, only 3 weeks elective time.

Hey all, I used these threads (for better or worse), so figured I'd return the favor:

VCU was the biggest surprise on the trail for me, and I ranked them very high.

Pro: social was great the night before, residents were a lot of fun and relaxed, physical ED is great, trauma experience is good and the bay is awesome (TEEs in the bay for the residents to use), PD and faculty I met were very nice, lot of demographic variety in the patient population, strong EMS and ultrasound, 10 hour shifts (the Goldilocks of shifts). Richmond is a super cool city with great social and outdoors scenes...if you want a mid sized city it's pretty hard to beat, Magnet recognized nursing (look it up if you're not familiar, this is a big pro I didn't know about til after the rank).

Con:
location can be a turn off for some if you need a big city, less ICU time than other programs (4 months, 5 if you count VA acute cardiac team), not a brand name (if you care, though as I'm sure you've heard by now in EM it doesn't particularly matter), wilderness medicine not a big deal here yet, only 3 weeks elective time.
Can you elaborate on what makes 10 hour shifts ideal compared to 8?

Thanks for posting this!

Can you elaborate on what makes 10 hour shifts ideal compared to 8?

Thanks for posting this!
It's a personal preference. Most people tend to agree 12 hour shifts are a bit long. I have a few friends who actively avoided programs that were 12s, though I think that's a bit extreme. 8 hours is fine, but that usually also means you'll work more shifts in a month. I'd rather do 9 or 10 hour shifts, which is for me is the sweet spot between the two. A few people, however, do prefer 12s...just depends on how you work!

Reactions: 1 user
Rotated here as a student, these are some of my thoughts:
Pros
-Great residents. Very cool, laid back people. Gave me a lot of autonomy as a student which helped me learn a lot.
-Great faculty. They have impressive qualifications, lots of attendings that did ultrasound/tox/etc fellowships so they know their s*&t
-Lots of cool toys. Video assisted laryngoscopes in the trauma bays, lots of ultrasounds available everywhere
-GREAT nursing staff. This one cannot be underestimated. I honestly never appreciated a good nursing staff until I rotated here, makes everything better and creates a good team environment
-Interns get a lot of autonomy. I saw interns at the end of their year handling most traumas, intubations, as well as their own patients. Trauma surgery gets most chest tubes, but trauma and EM seem to have a good relationship as far as I could see
-LOTS of traumas. Richmond is rough so there are plenty house fires, ODs, cardiac arrests, GSW, stabbings, etc to go around
-PD is fricking amazing. Used to be PD for Emory EM. Very supportive of his students and a great guy in general
-Residents get a month to do Ortho procedures when they are called first for most stable fx's. Most residents do their own procedures (setting fxs, lac repairs, I&D) and I loved that

Cons
-Richmond. It is extremely small and poorly maintained, but lots of young people and good food/happy hours. Most of richmond is rough so I wouldnt feel comfortable raising a family here or walking around alone, but commuting from the suburbs is an option.
-Patient population is also complicated. Lots of homeless, uninsured, lots of social issues. I am a little more uncomfortable with this stuff but it may be right for someone else
-Lack of diversity. I come from a very diverse area, and at VCU all I saw were black and white so that was kind of boring
-VCU recently has increased restrictions on healthcare workers so no one can wear perfume, nail polish, or have their nails longer than a certain length. Honestly sounds a little big brother-y to me, and unfortunately I expect more restrictions to come. This is a small thing but when youre a resident, these little things can make you feel good about yourself (spoken as a true woman)

Hope this helped someone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
To each their own and I'm not discounting your thoughts, but I just wanted to comment on this so people who see this have another perspective...having lived in Richmond, I do not hold this opinion of the city, and frankly haven't talked to almost anyone who does. Not too sure where you were living to have that experience, but most of Richmond is not "rough" nor "poorly maintained", and certainly not more so than the vast majority of urban cities. There are plenty of fantastic neighborhoods with good school systems in the city limits, and there's a good mix of singles/young families/Richmond lifers.

In addition, the patient population you reference ("complicated", "homeless, uninsured, lots of social issues") is a pretty typical population for any urban emergency medicine shop, as you'll find along the interview trail.

Just my two cents!

Rotated here as a student, these are some of my thoughts:
Pros
-Great residents. Very cool, laid back people. Gave me a lot of autonomy as a student which helped me learn a lot.
-Great faculty. They have impressive qualifications, lots of attendings that did ultrasound/tox/etc fellowships so they know their s*&t
-Lots of cool toys. Video assisted laryngoscopes in the trauma bays, lots of ultrasounds available everywhere
-GREAT nursing staff. This one cannot be underestimated. I honestly never appreciated a good nursing staff until I rotated here, makes everything better and creates a good team environment
-Interns get a lot of autonomy. I saw interns at the end of their year handling most traumas, intubations, as well as their own patients. Trauma surgery gets most chest tubes, but trauma and EM seem to have a good relationship as far as I could see
-LOTS of traumas. Richmond is rough so there are plenty house fires, ODs, cardiac arrests, GSW, stabbings, etc to go around
-PD is fricking amazing. Used to be PD for Emory EM. Very supportive of his students and a great guy in general
-Residents get a month to do Ortho procedures when they are called first for most stable fx's. Most residents do their own procedures (setting fxs, lac repairs, I&D) and I loved that

Cons
-Richmond. It is extremely small and poorly maintained, but lots of young people and good food/happy hours. Most of richmond is rough so I wouldnt feel comfortable raising a family here or walking around alone, but commuting from the suburbs is an option.
-Patient population is also complicated. Lots of homeless, uninsured, lots of social issues. I am a little more uncomfortable with this stuff but it may be right for someone else
-Lack of diversity. I come from a very diverse area, and at VCU all I saw were black and white so that was kind of boring
-VCU recently has increased restrictions on healthcare workers so no one can wear perfume, nail polish, or have their nails longer than a certain length. Honestly sounds a little big brother-y to me, and unfortunately I expect more restrictions to come. This is a small thing but when youre a resident, these little things can make you feel good about yourself (spoken as a true woman)

Hope this helped someone!

Reactions: 1 user
VCU resident and rotated in the ED here as both a student and resident.

Pros:
- Richmond is a great city with lots of restaurants, the James River, and good diversity
- Large indigent population means you get good pathology for the size of the population

Cons:
- Smaller city (pop. 250,000 in the city with the surrounding counties bringing it to about a million)
- Multiple malignant departments (IM, OB/Gyn, and Surgery all have a reputation for being malignant here)
- Some EM residents complain about not getting enough autonomy and as a student I saw other subspecialists jump in on everything, which leads me to the concern the rest of the hospital has about our EM residents
- EM residents are viewed very poorly by the rest of the services, so they tend to get shat on quite a bit

Pros:
- Richmond is a great city with lots of restaurants, the James River, and good diversity
- Large indigent population means you get good pathology for the size of the population

Cons:
- Smaller city (pop. 250,000 in the city with the surrounding counties bringing it to about a million)
- Multiple malignant departments (IM, OB/Gyn, and Surgery all have a reputation for being malignant here)
- Some EM residents complain about not getting enough autonomy and as a student I saw other subspecialists jump in on everything, which leads me to the concern the rest of the hospital has about our EM residents
- EM residents are viewed very poorly by the rest of the services, so they tend to get shat on quite a bit

Current VCU EM resident, felt compelled to reply.

First off, you realize we can see your post history right? You are an IM resident at said “malignant IM program”.

If an EM bound applicant has anything negative to say about us, I have no problem with that. What I can’t understand is that you took all this time to **** on us when you aren’t even an EM resident. To come to the EM forums, dig up an old thread and post a long negative review takes quite a bit of effort.

Pretty sure I don’t know you, because I like all of the medicine residents I know, and OB and surgery as well.

As far as our reputation in the hospital, I feel the complete opposite of what you stated. In all the ICU’s and offservice rotations we are viewed as US experts and proceduralists. I have always felt welcome by other residents, attendings, and even nurses on offservice rotations.

Reactions: 6 users

Pros:

Cons:

I gotta agree with @VCUEMresident. As an EM applicant, I would put very little stock in the opinion of a non-EM physician for a couple reasons.

1. Hate to break it to you, but everyone at every institution tends to think that the ED is full of idiots. Part of this probably stems from the history of EM as a place for random docs to work prior to our specialty coming into its own, and the fact that we are trying to cover the worst diagnoses simultaneously, rather than target a single etiology. But you better believe that when you're rotating on xICU and they need a crash line, the team is going to be much happier to have an EM resident than IM/Ob/surgery/etc.
2. I don't really care too much about how malignant the surgery or Ob/Gyn programs are. Not my program. You might say, "I'd prefer to interact with happy surgery/Ob residents." Good luck finding those...
3. I have a couple buddies at VCU EM. Besides being awesome people, they sound like they're getting excellent training, including procedurally.

I went out to visit Richmond for the first time a while back, and found it to be a surprisingly fun little city. I didn't even apply to VCU, but I would recommend anyone looking for a solid program check it out.

Yeah honestly if that person isn't an EM resident his post should be edited to reflect that. I didn't read through his post history...but in no way should an off-service resident affect opinions of potential future applicants.

Yeah honestly if that person isn't an EM resident his post should be edited to reflect that. I didn't read through his post history...but in no way should an off-service resident affect opinions of potential future applicants.
You guys must be new here. Going into other forums to s*** on the specialty or specific programs is a time honored tradition (despite being against the TOS).

Although, to be fair to @itsmcv2015, s/he's an IM resident there and called the IM program there malignant so, despite having done med school and residency there, s/he doesn't really seem to think all that much of the place in general.