Visas for Hawaii clinical clerkship/elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretoria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm a med student from the UK, and I am planning to do a 5 week elective in Hawaii. However, as the University of Hawaii don't accept non-US/Canadians onto their elective program, I have applied to individual hospitals and family practices.

I now have an offer from a family doctor to supervise the elective - what I want to know is:

What kind of visa requirements are there for electives not undertaken through a medical school? Are there any other official requirements like medicals or temporary registration with a college of physicians/surgeons?

I will be trying to contact the US embassy in the UK, but I know they are not easy to get through to, and it isn't always easy to get straight answers from some officials - especially if they don't really understand the situation!

Thanks

pretoria

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there

I'm a med student from the UK, and I am planning to do a 5 week elective in Hawaii. However, as the University of Hawaii don't accept non-US/Canadians onto their elective program, I have applied to individual hospitals and family practices.

I now have an offer from a family doctor to supervise the elective - what I want to know is:

What kind of visa requirements are there for electives not undertaken through a medical school? Are there any other official requirements like medicals or temporary registration with a college of physicians/surgeons?

I will be trying to contact the US embassy in the UK, but I know they are not easy to get through to, and it isn't always easy to get straight answers from some officials - especially if they don't really understand the situation!

Thanks

pretoria
Hi pretoria,

I realise this is a rather late message to your original post, but I am in a similar position you were in 7 years ago. I wonder if you could help a fellow med student out - I'm looking for a elective in Hawaii, however I don't seem to be having any luck with the University of Hawaii or major hospitals. How did you find a doctor who was happy to supervise you?

Thanks!