Visible tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysteryCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may have been addressed in the past, but I need insight. I'm scheduled to get tattooed on Monday, and I'm really excited as I've been planning it for a year. The location is the thing that concerns me. I want it on my inner wrist. I know that this can be detrimental to some professional endeavors, and I'm wondering if anyone in vet school has experience with visible tattoos like this. It'll be tasteful, just a single word. (Imagine, copied from the original handwritten lyrics of the song). I'm prepared to cover it with my watch/bracelet/makeup for interviews and clinics, but does anyone think it'll be a deal breaker for jobs etc? I don't think I'd like it as much in any other location, but I don't want it to affect my career. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have the insides of both of my wrists tattooed and it was never a problem that came up in my interviews (though I wore a jacket that mostly covered them). As far as professional endeavors go, I think this mostly depends on where you will be working, and of course the individual clinic. At clinics in the small-ish more old school town that I'm from, as a volunteer they required me to cover them. At my job in a city, many doctors, technicians, receptionists, and assistants (including me) had visible tattoos that were never a problem. You can also always wear a white coat to cover them, so I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it. Society is starting to come around more in regards to tattoos, so I think you should be fine :)

Thanks for the input, Allygator. I appreciate that they're becoming more acceptable in lots of areas. I guess I'm just getting last minute cold feet. I'm excited though! I already put down my deposit, so...I'm getting it somewhere! Hah.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, one of the board certified surgeons at the city clinic was COVERED in tattoos... And he's doing just fine haha.

I love seeing that. I met a PhD at my university who has full sleeves. It's awesome to see that it doesn't matter so much anymore.

I have a tattoo on my wrist that I actually forgot to cover for my interview at the school I ended up attending. And I have really long arms so it was probably super visible despite my suit jacket. I also have lots of classmates with tattoos, including one who has two full sleeves.
I also have known a few vets with tattoos, including one whose was clearly visible while working since it was on the back of her neck and she wears her hair up.

Get your tattoo! And don't forget to post a picture if you don't mind sharing so we can all admire it :)

Of course dalmatian doc! 5pm tomorrow! I'm getting nervous, I haven't been tattooed in like 5 years.

I love seeing that. I met a PhD at my university who has full sleeves. It's awesome to see that it doesn't matter so much anymore.

That is very different, though. A PhD does not generally spend time with clients, and DVM does. Full sleeves in a research environment is very different than full sleeves in a professional service/clinical environment.

That is very different, though. A PhD does not generally spend time with clients, and DVM does. Full sleeves in a research environment is very different than full sleeves in a professional service/clinical environment.

I know it's different, I just like the fact that this type of self expression is more acceptable in any type of academia than it used to be. :)

Coming from someone who has several tattoos, usually had odd hairstyles, and several unconventional piercings.....

I do think that we risk falling into the trap of thinking everything is ok and acceptable now. News flash, it isn't. People will still judge you. Employers will still judge you. It doesn't make it right, but it is a fact of life. You can't go and get a sleeve and then whine that so and so didn't hire you because of it.

Are certain things more acceptable now? Yes. But this is still a service-oriented profession and like it or not, appearance is absolutely taken into consideration for jobs.

That is why I hide an academia ;) I am under no illusions that my somewhat unconventional style would fly in any average clinic.

Coming from someone who has several tattoos, usually had odd hairstyles, and several unconventional piercings.....

I do think that we risk falling into the trap of thinking everything is ok and acceptable now. News flash, it isn't. People will still judge you. Employers will still judge you. It doesn't make it right, but it is a fact of life. You can't go and get a sleeve and then whine that so and so didn't hire you because of it.

Are certain things more acceptable now? Yes. But this is still a service-oriented profession and like it or not, appearance is absolutely taken into consideration for jobs.

That is why I hide an academia ;) I am under no illusions that my somewhat unconventional style would fly in any average clinic.
:hello: OT: I miss you WTF! You are awesome and it is always a pleasure when you drop by. Just thought I should take the opportunity to say it now since I always think it but don't believe I've ever voiced it. Keep on keepin' on!

Members don't see this ad :)
on topic:

I never have gotten a tattoo since there is nothing that is special enough to me to get it in ink. However, one of these days I may get a penny heads up somewhere because that is my mum's belief that proves my Grandma still checks in on our lives even though she is gone. :cat:

I have both my inner wrists tatted and they are both definitely bigger than a single word haha. You'd be amazed at the number of people who honestly don't notice them there. I thought for sure when I got them that people would stare (I got them there so I could enjoy them) but truly most people don't notice. I guess you don't look at someone's inner wrist very often haha. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy your ink!

I have both my inner wrists tatted and they are both definitely bigger than a single word haha. You'd be amazed at the number of people who honestly don't notice them there. I thought for sure when I got them that people would stare (I got them there so I could enjoy them) but truly most people don't notice. I guess you don't look at someone's inner wrist very often haha. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy your ink!

Same! There are a lot of people in my class that I've been seeing fairly regularly over the last two months, and they'll still just now see them and ask, "you have a tattoo there?!" and I'm like, "I have two" haha :p

Same! There are a lot of people in my class that I've been seeing fairly regularly over the last two months, and they'll still just now see them and ask, "you have a tattoo there?!" and I'm like, "I have two" haha :p

Oh I know right! There are people that I've known for years that still grab my arms and ask when I got them. My response is generally the same, "Like 5 years ago. You really just now noticed?!?" Haha

And they are pretty large. The edges wrap around to the front on both my wrists so I don't know how you could not see them.

on topic:

I never have gotten a tattoo since there is nothing that is special enough to me to get it in ink. However, one of these days I may get a penny heads up somewhere because that is my mum's belief that proves my Grandma still checks in on our lives even though she is gone. :cat:
That's really cute! And if you haven't thought about a location, can I suggest on the top of a foot? That way, it's technically still heads up, as opposed to face out, and it'll be close to the ground, where you'd usually find one.

Reactions: 1 users
I have tattoos on my legs and back - I can hide them if I need to and they don't show when wearing scrubs, but they're fun to show off in summer clothes :) One vet at the clinic I work has visible tattoos on her arm and clients never comment on them (to my knowledge). I think all but one of the techs has tattoos and most people's are visible. I think they are still judged for it, unfortunately.

Only two hours to go! I'm nervous...

The pic isn't the greatest but I love it! It is the exact copy of the original handwritten lyrics.

Attachments

• 1412040884449.jpg
    1412040884449.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: 4 users
Way better picture

Attachments

• 1412052561269.jpg
    1412052561269.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: 5 users
That's awesome. I have "beautiful" written across the arch of my foot in the exact handwriting I wanted it in. It is a great reminder.