visible tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on tattoos? I am thinking of getting a simple one on my inner wrist which could be easily covered by a watch or sleeve, but also easily accidentally shown. From a professional standpoint, but mostly in regards to interviews, how would this likely be viewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Just do it after you get in :)

There are also some very good cosmetic concealers specific to hiding tattoos. I think Kat Von D branded one.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they know about it they will probably think poorly. If it's visible I would have to think they would reject you b/c I know some hospitals don't allow visible tattoos on employees.

i have a full sleeve tattoo and purchased some of the Kat Von D concealer to do my whole lower arm in case my suit sleeve comes up during the interview season.

Getting into medical school and becoming a physician...or wrist tattoo ask yourself which is more important...you will then have your answer.

Wow! I didn't realize it was viewed this unfavorably. Obviously if it's such a huge deal, I have no problem waiting or foregoing it entirely. I was going to get the Riemann Zeta function:D dorky huh? LOL

I already have 2 tattoos but they are not visible in street clothes (lower back and hipbone area.)

Wow! I didn't realize it was viewed this unfavorably. Obviously if it's such a huge deal, I have no problem waiting or foregoing it entirely. I was going to get the Riemann Zeta function:D dorky huh? LOL

:thumbup:

Tattoos aren't a bad thing, medicine is just a conservative field in general. :)

I have a tat on my shoulder blade and am planning on getting one on my outer thigh, but those are both quite easily hidden under dress clothes/scrubs. I've always wanted a tat on my wrist, but it's something that I can wait on. Honestly, I'll probably wait on it until I'm at least into my residency. I imagine there are some specialties that are more accepting of ink than others--you could probably get away with it as a surgeon far more than if you were a pediatrician. In the meantime, though, I'll happily ink the parts of my body that are easily covered up! This would be my advice, OP. It certainly isn't something I'd do until after I was finished with med school interviews, and I'm not sure it's worth worrying about in med school either.

I have a tat on my shoulder blade and am planning on getting one on my outer thigh, but those are both quite easily hidden under dress clothes/scrubs. I've always wanted a tat on my wrist, but it's something that I can wait on. Honestly, I'll probably wait on it until I'm at least into my residency. I imagine there are some specialties that are more accepting of ink than others--you could probably get away with it as a surgeon far more than if you were a pediatrician. In the meantime, though, I'll happily ink the parts of my body that are easily covered up! This would be my advice, OP. It certainly isn't something I'd do until after I was finished with med school interviews, and I'm not sure it's worth worrying about in med school either.

actually, i have heard the exact opposite. Surgery is one of the least accepting fields for tattoos and pediatrics patient generally have younger parents which are far more accepting of tattoos. plus the kids love them.

I have one on the nape of my neck and I'm getting it lasered off. Apparently it looks like I'm some sort of hardcore thug or whatnot..
I'm covering it with Dermablend in the meantime. IMO, Dermablend is heavy duty (thick and creamy) and much stronger than Kat Von D's concealer..

I'd wait to get it if I were you. No amount of concealer will hide a fresh (5 years and younger) tattoo.

pic is relevant.
tattoos1d.png

actually, i have heard the exact opposite. Surgery is one of the least accepting fields for tattoos and pediatrics patient generally have younger parents which are far more accepting of tattoos. plus the kids love them.

Interesting! I never would have guessed this. :)

I guess my opinions are colored by The Todd. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to think twice about something like this, it's probably not a good idea.

I know plenty of doctors who have tattoos that are visible during work.

Not a big deal for some specialties.

Use your own judgment, but doctors are allowed to have tattoo's if they want too.

I would avoid a visible tattoo for now.

Wait until you have a better idea of where you will work and what kind of work you will be doing. As other posters have mentioned, some locations and specialties may be more open to tattoos. But you don't really know right now where you will end up so don't limit yourself.

Make it a med school or residency graduation present (or not).

Great picture Nysw.

From my own personal experience, patients don't really seem to care, but there are some things to watch out for.

- design - get it professionally done, not by your boyfriend's friend from high school who does them in his kitchen. (see http://www.badtattoos.com for examples/good laughs)

- location - location is everything. - upper arm versus forehead.

- your attitude - patients may not remember your name, but they will remember what you looked like and how you acted.

Haha way to send mixed messages. You'd be interrogated at every exam involving math formula though.

I always wanted to get a bit of Kant's Refutation of Idealism as a tramp stamp, but I'm paranoid that I'll one day need an MRI and the ink will turn out to have metal in it...

:thumbup:

Tattoos aren't a bad thing, medicine is just a conservative field in general. :)

True, a conservative bunch :).

I have tats and piercings (septum--or hog nose ring ;) and other stuff ). I can take these piercings out and my tattoos can be easily covered. I was thinking about the future, hehe!:idea:

Visible tattoos can be a major issue in interview situation as they can be seen as a reflection of immaturity. I had a friend that tried to cover her wrist tattoo with a bandaid but did not get the job because they though she was a cutter. If you can cover it up for interview in a way that doesn't make you look like you have mental problems then you are fine. Many interview for medical school happen in the winter so if it is in a snowy cold area gloves could cover up things and not be seen as a reflection of sanity ( or lack thereof). You will find a to cover it so if you want it get it.

I have a friend who got one on the palm of her right hand.....someone wasn't thinking about shaking hands in the professional world for the rest of her life, ha.

I have a friend who got one on the palm of her right hand.....someone wasn't thinking about shaking hands in the professional world for the rest of her life, ha.

..what was it of?

Visible tattoos can be a major issue in interview situation as they can be seen as a reflection of immaturity. I had a friend that tried to cover her wrist tattoo with a bandaid but did not get the job because they though she was a cutter. If you can cover it up for interview in a way that doesn't make you look like you have mental problems then you are fine. Many interview for medical school happen in the winter so if it is in a snowy cold area gloves could cover up things and not be seen as a reflection of sanity ( or lack thereof). You will find a to cover it so if you want it get it.

That's true. Face and neck tattoos are especially out of the question.

i have a full sleeve tattoo and purchased some of the Kat Von D concealer to do my whole lower arm in case my suit sleeve comes up during the interview season.
Very nice. But can you use it in the OR? Or need to use it in the OR?

encouraged in EM. haha... don't know this for a fact, but mine don't seem to bother anyone, and I get compliments

For what it's worth, there's a top dog ortho resident at a hospital I volunteer at with an epic chest tat. You can only see the top, cuz of the V neck shape of scrubs. It's very very noticeable lol, looks like some kind of black gothic letters with a bright red orange and yellow background that looks like a sunset or something. Just from the size of the letters, it's gotta span most of his pecs. None of the attendings seem to mind.....

I saw when she did the photo shoot for this on LA Ink. She's attractive with all the tats (suprisingly), but I thought the concealer made it that much better.

I have small circular tattoo about the size of a half dollar on my left inner wrist. As a nontrad, it has never been an issue in past pursuits (mostly nonprofit management work). While shadowing/volunteering, it's never been brought up - plus it's very easy to hide with long sleeves and/or a watch.

Sure there are potential drawbacks; it could theoretically be seen accidentally, and it's possible the person who sees it will have their prejudices. Are the benefits of getting one worth this risk? Depends on your reason for getting the tattoo in the first place, IMHO. It's your call whether those the perceived benefits outweigh these risks.

In any case, it's been worth it for me :D.

Haha way to send mixed messages. You'd be interrogated at every exam involving math formula though.

I always wanted to get a bit of Kant's Refutation of Idealism as a tramp stamp, but I'm paranoid that I'll one day need an MRI and the ink will turn out to have metal in it...

I have a mild desire to get my DNA profile tat'ed. Or something related to nifty DNA stuff.

Anyway, OP, I don't have any tats (yet?), but I do have piercings. You best believe I hide them for professional things that matter to me. I'd rather err on the side of caution, than cause myself some undue bias. For example, I dyed my hair hot pink one summer since I wasn't in school. Ended up with an interview to teach a foreign language during the school year, but was passed over because of my hair - despite the attempts to assure them that it was a summer goofy thing. I kind of wish I hadn't had the pink hair then, it would have been a great experience for me. At least the pink washed out, a tat won't.

You can always get it later when you are more established and people already know your awesomeness.

encouraged in EM. haha... don't know this for a fact, but mine don't seem to bother anyone, and I get compliments

This is great to know! EM is what I'm most interested in at thus point anyway. :D

We have this same conversation once a month, it's such a lovely opportunity for some people to act haughty and superior.

Search.

There are more than 30 responses and no one's mentioned the "I also have a tattoo on my lower back" comment from the OP?

Let me be the first: Your decision to get a lower back tattoo (tramp/champ stamp) already signifies your poor decision-making ability, one only exacerbated by your indecision on whether to get another tattoo on your wrist. Think again, then think "no".

There are more than 30 responses and no one's mentioned the "I also have a tattoo on my lower back" comment from the OP?

Let me be the first: Your decision to get a lower back tattoo (tramp/champ stamp) already signifies your poor decision-making ability, one only exacerbated by your indecision on whether to get another tattoo on your wrist. Think again, then think "no".

I just live judgmental people, don't you?:rolleyes:

The concealer doesn't rub off onto clothes?

I think it kind of depends what the "tramp stamp" is. If it was something like the Guadalupe, I wouldn't exactly think "tramp" when I saw it...unless you know, it was a Guadalupe pin-up-style or something ha.

I think it kind of depends what the "tramp stamp" is. If it was something like the Guadalupe, I wouldn't exactly think "tramp" when I saw it...unless you know, it was a Guadalupe pin-up-style or something ha.

lol wtf

Also considering how OP wanted to get the Riemann Zeta fxn on his wrist, if the lower back tat is an Euler-Lagrange or something... not exactly tramplike

I can't even think of a way to make that tramplike actually

Don't get a tattoo unless you REALLY want one. It's considered low class and frowned upon by corporate America.

That's very interesting. It works huh?

Even the really good ones + setting powder rub off. Ruined so many collars :(

This was my concern.

And for those of you who are judging people with tattoo choice, many people get tattoos for deeply personal reasons, for you to call them LOW CLASS without knowing the individual is incredibly judgmental and harsh. I really hope you don't turn this same judgement on your future patients.

We all know we need to keep things professional and appropriate for a work environment, but I think there will be a shift in opinion of visible tattoos in the near future. Approximately 36% of people age 18-25 and 40% age 26-40 have at least one tattoo, the tides are changing.

I've got a wrist tattoo that (fortunately) even drunk me was smart enough to place directly on my watch band line. Future forearm tattoo plans involve UV Ink, likely in the next couple of month. I had such amazing plans for full sleeves, too, but that was before I fully committed to the idea of med school.

For those who hate tattoos and consider them gross or low class: I kind of feel sorry for you. It has to be rough to be that judgmental about something that is so deeply personal to many people. Can't wait for another 20 years or so when people finally stop worrying so damn much about a little ink.

For those who hate tattoos and consider them gross or low class: I kind of feel sorry for you. It has to be rough to be that judgmental about something that is so deeply personal to many people. Can't wait for another 20 years or so when people finally stop worrying so damn much about a little ink.

Did you actually believe that when you typed it?

That's very interesting. It works huh?

it covers it up quite well. i am actually wearing it around the house to see if it flakes off. i am planning accordingly (ie navy/charcoal suit and a non-white shirt). It will work fine and I will also get the sleeves slightly longer.

and i truly believe tattoos won't be a big deal in 20 years.

Did you actually believe that when you typed it?

Considering how much attitudes have changed in the last 20 years and how the average 20-40 year old feels about ink today, yeah, I do believe it.

Most tattoos on the wrist that I see are somebody's name - typically indicating someone close that passed. In this case, I don't think you'd be judges, but why not circumvent speculation and wait until you've been accepted?

Considering how much attitudes have changed in the last 20 years and how the average 20-40 year old feels about ink today, yeah, I do believe it.

Agreed. I personally do not like tattoos, but to be honest, I don't even notice them on other people. An incredible amount of people 20-25 have tattoos.

MFW you stroll into your first day of classes with your tattoos unconcealed, and you look like a make-up wearing lying idiot: :corny: