Vision "Exams" through Certified Opthalmic Technicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myopic2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Pre-Opts! I posted this in the optometry forum, but I figure I would post this here since it should play a factor in your decision about Optometry and its future. [Mods, sorry for the double post, I want to get more opinions.]

A friend of mine recently came across an optical shop called Jins. She told me that they also did examinations there for an affordable price. Being curious, I went to the shop after work since I work about 10 minutes from there. When I got there, I looked at the prices and thought, "wow that is affordable!" However, when the lady came out, I asked her about the "examination" process and how it could be done so quickly. Well...it turns out she was NOT A DOCTOR, but an assistant :shrug:. She then told me the process...

What the assistant does is use the auto-refractor, and the auto-lensometer to check your prescription. While she is doing this, you are sitting in the "exam" chair with an auto-phoropter that is controlled by a certified opthalmic technician via webcam. When the "exam" is over, your prescription is checked by a remote "ophthalmologist". More information here:http://www.for2020now.com/Content2/howitworks/

This is very appalling and I cannot believe this is FDA approved! :smack: As a pre-health student (deciding between Dentistry, PT, and Optometry), this is very concerning! Needless to say, I DID NOT get an "Exam" from there.

Via Member SunA21: "They're also working on a 20/20 PLUS version with "OCT, Fundus Camera, Tonometer, and Saccadic Vector Optokinetic Perimeter Device" which would let them assess some eye health."

What are your opinions SDN? Is this what Optometry is coming to?

Members don't see this ad.

It's appalling to us because we are educated and understand the consequences. It is unfortunate and probably realistic to know that the general public will only be attracted to these "affordable exams" and ignore everything else

It's another opternative situation. It is very misleading to say eye exam when they are only truly receiving an auto refraction. The general public is not aware of the harm that can be done by only having a refraction done and not a comprehensive exam by an OD. I've seen countless examples of individuals suffering from other ailments such as diabetes, hypertension, and tumors that were detected during a comprehensive exam. Most of these people would have never known with just a refractive only exam. As pre health students we should be very concerned of the dangers of these "eye exams."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's another opternative situation. It is very misleading to say eye exam when they are only truly receiving an auto refraction. The general public is not aware of the harm that can be done by only having a refraction done and not a comprehensive exam by an OD. I've seen countless examples of individuals suffering from other ailments such as diabetes, hypertension, and tumors that were detected in a comphrensive exam. Most of these people would have never known with just a refractive only exam. Some of these people may have even As pre health students we should be very concerned of the dangers of these "eye exams."

I have seen the AOA fighting and trying to take down Opternative, which is great because it shows that there is concern about these type of practices.
I think it is concerning, because this is a physical/tangible location that people can go to get their eyes "checked."

Yea I have been following the AOA as they oppose Opternative. I think it's great to see them fighting to protect the well being of patients.

Yea I have been following the AOA as they oppose Opternative. I think it's great to see them fighting to protect the well being of patients.

They succeeded in Michigan! http://www.aoa.org/news/advocacy/opternative-issued-cease-and-desist-order?sso=y

Now, Michigan says glasses and contact lens prescriptions are "valid only after a state licensee performs an "examination and evaluation," defined as an assessment of ocular health and visual status that does not consist solely of objective refractive data generated from an automated device." This sort of definition should rule out places like the optical shop OP brought up.