Visit timeslots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPlainBill

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long do most of you allow for various types of visits -- specifically new patient (NP) vs established and physical/WWE both new and established patient?

I was at 20 minute visits for established and 30 minute for physical/WWE/NP until my MA and I got our system down. Now I've switched to 15 minute for established and 30 minute for NP/WWE/physical -- or that's the plan. Lately the schedulers have been making everything a 15 minute visit, no matter what. When I brought it up to the CMO, the response was pretty much, "Suck it up, buttercup"....

What's everyone's practice?

Members don't see this ad.

How long do most of you allow for various types of visits -- specifically new patient (NP) vs established and physical/WWE both new and established patient?

I was at 20 minute visits for established and 30 minute for physical/WWE/NP until my MA and I got our system down. Now I've switched to 15 minute for established and 30 minute for NP/WWE/physical -- or that's the plan. Lately the schedulers have been making everything a 15 minute visit, no matter what. When I brought it up to the CMO, the response was pretty much, "Suck it up, buttercup"....

What's everyone's practice?
I did 20/60 in my first job out, but my practice was 90% medicare/Medicaid so that first visit was a doozy. A job I later turned down would have been 20/40 like your system was, but that was with a hospital system hemorrhaging patients to its competitors in town so they were willing to try anything. My PCP does the 15/30 approach and is ok with it.

Every visit of mine is 20 minutes, be it a sore throat or a physical on a new 90 yo. It kind of averages out, you spend 10 minutes with enough of the easies to get you 40 minutes with the latter type of patient. I only see 5-6 physicals in a day so it usually works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
30 min. (2 15-min. slots) for new patients and physicals (max of 3 in the AM and 2 in the PM), 15 min. for everything else. I have 29 15-min. appointment slots daily, and typically end up seeing 20-25 patients per day.

Well, the idyllic Mayberry that I joined is gone forever -- used to be a fairly laid back operation -- if a physician needed time off or had to close up shop early on a day to make a meeting, no biggie, just call scheduling and have it done.....now that the merger has taken place with an investment company (49%), we now have a CMO (one of the major shareholders from the Mayberry side of the house) and corporate rules that would be recognizable to anyone in the US corporate world are coming down --- hard ----

Visits are now dictated -- 15 minutes across the board no matter what, if you need time off for any reason, it comes out of PTO -- need an hour, you have to take 1/2 day increments, no flexibility --- I'm waiting to be told I have to wear a white coat and/or suit --- but the rules are applied to the employees/employed physicians and obviously not the partners (which I would expect -- but I always make it a point to ask the partners if it affects them when the new rules come down from on high) ---

Probably time for me to go soon --- I hated engineering for this reason

Wow JPB that sounds horrible! It seems you need an exit strategy. I am pure sports at this time but still get 5-10 fm emails a week. I would hope there are some opportunities in your area. Sounds like you might do well in DPC.

Wow JPB that sounds horrible! It seems you need an exit strategy. I am pure sports at this time but still get 5-10 fm emails a week. I would hope there are some opportunities in your area. Sounds like you might do well in DPC.
I don't know --- I'm also being told that since I am still wet behind the ears (3 years out of a very lousy residency) and gunshy when it comes to complex patients, I should probably bide my time where I'm at so a more senior physician can mentor me and help build my confidence -- this by one of the senior physicians at the location where I'm at --- to which I responded that since 2010 people have been telling me I suck as a physician (in residency I was actually told that I was pretty much at PA level) and I'm getting damned tired of it --- I just don't want to be the guy that shoves patients over the edge of the cliff so I tend to consult more and order more tests to try to rule things out, rather than just go with the obvious answer ---