Visiting Schools After Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fiddlergirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to visit a couple of the schools I applied to, starting this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I know it would have made more sense to visit before applying, but this is when I have the time. My plan right now is to go and walk around the grounds, try to look through the medical school and possibly at hospital associated with the medical school. Is there anything I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to visit a couple of the schools I applied to, starting this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I know it would have made more sense to visit before applying, but this is when I have the time. My plan right now is to go and walk around the grounds, try to look through the medical school and possibly at hospital associated with the medical school. Is there anything I'm missing?

Actually unlike colleges not that many people tour med schools before the interview day. If you are going over the summer be advised that lots of places will be locked up; there won't be classes you can sit in on etc. Also bear in mind that a lot of med school and hospital buildings (particularly those in cities) require IDs for access so there may be very few places you can really walk around.

A student of mine, only a sophomore in undergrad, went to tour a medical school and they showed her everything. She met with the president of the class and even the dean. Granted she went during the summer and a local physician knew some people. Admission people are typically extremely friendly. I would contact them to see if there is a good time for you to come for a tour and to meet people.

Thank you. It's probably a little late for me to try and contact people for Penn State since I'm going up this weekend, but I will try for the Virginia and Maryland schools.