Visiting UK Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogtorCK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to visit the 3 UK schools and UCD. However, it seems like the Spring Break time tables are all over the place and I'm not entirely sure if/when people will be around so that I can schedule a tour of the facilities and hopefully speak to students about their experiences, why they chose the school, etc. Can any current students speak to this - does the campus shut down entirely or are people still around? It would be nice to be able to see people actively being students and not just the empty spaces where people would be students if it was the right time of year (my university is dead during breaks). I'm hoping to get there the first week of April, which I know is probably everyone's break, but unfortunately is the best week for my schedule and my wallet. That being said, if I'm paying the money to go over I want to get the most information possible to make my decision, so if it's going to be significantly different then I'll figure out a way to go earlier in March.

Thanks in advance, all!

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the UK schools have an Easter Break... it goes from late March through April. For some schools, it is only 2 weeks, others 3-4 weeks. It is a very long break right in the middle of March/April. Your best bet is to contact the schools and ask them when they have breaks and when would be a good time for you to get a tour of the school while they are in session.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, what DVMDream said is right. At RVC we're off for 6 weeks from mid March till the end of April (at least in the first year of the 4 year degree). I don't think you'll likely get to see much of student life at all if you come when you're suggesting.

I have no idea about your financial means, but if you're planning on paying for everything using loans, I think you should just run the numbers and go wherever it will be cheapest. They're all good AVMA accredited schools, and they're all in/near decent sized cities. Sure, you might prefer one more than another for whatever reason, but you're better off saving yourself as much money as possible. It'd also be pretty expensive to visit them all, but I'm sure you're aware of that. Of course, if money's not an issue for you, by all means visit them and make pro/con lists. I just don't think that you'll actually see many students about during March or April so it might not be that valuable for you.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both for the input!

I studied abroad at UCD last spring semster and their spring break was two weeks long right in the middle of March. So if you went in April, you'd at least get to see UCD in full swing! I think the dates last year were the 9th to the 22nd or so of March.

Glasgow is mid-March through early April for first and second years. Beginning of April through end of April for third years and fourth years are MIA starting now because they have exams within a month or so and then start rotations soon afterward. To be honest, I don't think you'll learn a whole lot by seeing them in session. You'll just see a bunch of bleary eyed students in a dark LT looking at a lit powerpoint. :p Better to ask for a few student contacts or link up for a few during your tour and ask them questions.