Visually Impaired or Illusion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceFTW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a neurologist or ophthalmologist, But I did think about something to pass on to people that are interested in ophthalmology or being a Neurologist.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Take a look at these 50 capital "i"

There is a bit of optical illusion that can be problematic for people when reading books with small print on white paper. It can be a problem because for some people like me it looks like the letters are blending. To show you what its like try to count the 50 capital "i" as if you are reading normal with out a finger to count. Not easy huh? It effects the vision and memory cause I expect that you lost count and forgot where you counted to.

Main point

My main point is I think people misdiagnose for some Neuro illness or visual problems when I think it might just be a common Optical Illusion that effects everyone. I think things like this needs to be researched into before jumping to conclusions with expensive medical treatment when simple home fixes can help patients save money and time with doctors so they can help other patients

Common Fixes

Bigger font
dimmed white paper

People don't need to pay $300 on glasses for a weak prescription

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure neurologists and ophthalmologists are more than capable of distinguishing between real pathology versus needing bigger fonts. They're generally rather smart cookies.