Vitamin B12 Injections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question to those who have ever administered B12 shots. Do you administer the B12 shot with the same procedure as used for influenza vaccine if administering intramuscularly?

Members don't see this ad.

bump

I had patient the other day get a new Rx for a vial of cyanocobalamin and 4 syringes, injecting 1ml IM qweek. His Dr had not given him any instruction whatsoever other than saying he would need to inject myself. The patient desperately wanted me to do the first one for him to show him technique.

Can we do this as a retail pharmacist? Imagine it's on a weekend during a slow period when you have the time to do it. Do most state laws address this at all? Does my liability insurance cover me the same as flu shots or would this be totally separate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I give them to myself monthly because I can't absorb B12 orally. I use basically the same technique except I do it in my upper thigh because it's easier than trying to give myself a shot in the arm.

Me too!!

My husband gives them to me in the arm and usually hits a nerve or my bone, maybe I should try the thigh

P.S.---When you gonna have that boy?

Just pop the B-12 shot in your arse. That is the quickest and easiest way to do it. I've had one injected that way before.

bump

I had patient the other day get a new Rx for a vial of cyanocobalamin and 4 syringes, injecting 1ml IM qweek. His Dr had not given him any instruction whatsoever other than saying he would need to inject myself. The patient desperately wanted me to do the first one for him to show him technique.

Can we do this as a retail pharmacist? Imagine it's on a weekend during a slow period when you have the time to do it. Do most state laws address this at all? Does my liability insurance cover me the same as flu shots or would this be totally separate?

You should have stuck a needle into yourself and injected saline :smuggrin: had him watch you and then had him do it himself!

I don't know the answer to your question. State laws vary...

Question to those who have ever administered B12 shots. Do you administer the B12 shot with the same procedure as used for influenza vaccine if administering intramuscularly?

Yes, it's an IM shot and I always give them the exact same way as I do the flu shots, in the deltoid.

bump

I think it might vary between states? I'm in Texas and we have to fax a form to the patient's physician requesting permission to administer the B12 shot to their patient before we are allowed to administer it. Once they sign it and fax it back, we keep it on file in the pharmacy and it's good for 6 months. The form should list each pharmacist that will administer the shot to the patient.

More or less. Could swing a delt, bicep, tricep, pec, glute, or quad really as long as the selected area had enough muscle mass. Just make sure you take in consideration the injection area to your needle length selection.

B-12 can also be given sub-q. Is there any advantage to IM admin. vs sub-q? If I were a patient, I would prefer sub-q route?