VMCAS 2014 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you remember how long it took your app to get verified? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Do you remember how long it took your app to get verified? Thanks :)

I turned mine in at the beginning of July and it was verified within like three days. However, I was extremely early ( I figured that since I had it all done I might as well bite the bullet!) if you turned it in I would give it a few days and you should be good!

I turned mine in at the beginning of July and it was verified within like three days. However, I was extremely early ( I figured that since I had it all done I might as well bite the bullet!) if you turned it in I would give it a few days and you should be good!

Haha definitely early, you go girl! Best of luck to you :) So in love with those adorable owls in your profile pic. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha definitely early, you go girl! Best of luck to you :) So in love with those adorable owls in your profile pic. :love:

Thanks I was on top of things! And I know I miss them, my father is a game warden so I spent last summer raising those little guys!

How long did it take for transcripts to be received by VMCAS? I ordered one on 8/22 and there's absolutely nothing on my application about it, and OSU (on their site) is strict on when transcripts need to be at VMCAS...

How long did it take for transcripts to be received by VMCAS? I ordered one on 8/22 and there's absolutely nothing on my application about it, and OSU (on their site) is strict on when transcripts need to be at VMCAS...

My transcripts posted quickly but it's based also on the turn around time of your school. It should take a few days for them to receive it. On their website it does say allow for 10 days to process them. I would call them tomorrow during office hours and just double check. Also, make sure your school actually sent it out to them and on what date.

My transcripts posted quickly but it's based also on the turn around time of your school. It should take a few days for them to receive it. On their website it does say allow for 10 days to process them. I would call them tomorrow during office hours and just double check. Also, make sure your school actually sent it out to them and on what date.
According to the transcript site, they were ordered and sent with the paper form on the 22nd of August from my school. I'll call VMCAS in the morning.

And on my application, I have 0 transcripts received and 0 transcripts not received, and that's what worries me.

And on my application, I have 0 transcripts received and 0 transcripts not received, and that's what worries me.

My transcripts not recieved was always at 0, if that helps any. Even when I was waiting on the two transcripts from my uni. Did you print and submit that additional sheet with like a barcode on top to be mailed with your transcript?

My transcripts not recieved was always at 0, if that helps any. Even when I was waiting on the two transcripts from my uni. Did you print and submit that additional sheet with like a barcode on top to be mailed with your transcript?
Yes, the gal at the desk was confused because apparently I can do that all online now, but I said I'd rather do it here and now in person. Filled out a form and handed her it with the sheet, signed, dated, and filled out.

Yes, the gal at the desk was confused because apparently I can do that all online now, but I said I'd rather do it here and now in person. Filled out a form and handed her it with the sheet, signed, dated, and filled out.

Yeah just give VMCAS a call early tomorrow morning that way you can still mail out another one if they haven't gotten it :)

Yeah just give VMCAS a call early tomorrow morning that way you can still mail out another one if they haven't gotten it :)
Called the, apparently they have no idea if it's been received or what step in the verification process they are in -_-
Guess it's time to call OSU, see if this is going to affect my ability to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Called the, apparently they have no idea if it's been received or what step in the verification process they are in -_-
Guess it's time to call OSU, see if this is going to affect my ability to apply.

:( I would just order another transcript from your current uni online just in case. Or see if they will let you pick up a copy and you can expedite ship it to them. As long as everything else is in i think you'll still have enough time. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
:( I would just order another transcript from your current uni online just in case. Or see if they will let you pick up a copy and you can expedite ship it to them. As long as everything else is in i think you'll still have enough time. Good luck!!
That's probably what I'll do. I e-mailed OSU and they said not to worry, but I'm terrible at not worrying about things

That's probably what I'll do. I e-mailed OSU and they said not to worry, but I'm terrible at not worrying about things
I think VMCAS has a ton of transcripts arrive right around the beginning of September, so they get fairly busy and don't get the transcript matched up with your app right away. Last year they didn't post my "transcript received" thing until September 4th, but they still listed it as received on the 1st. If it was me, I'd still send a second one to be on the safe side, but I wonder if it is sitting in the VMCAS office in a huge stack of recently arrived mail. Hope it works out! :luck:

Hey I wanted to add CEs I have taken to my experience list. Do you recommend adding them under classroom experience for animal or is that for something else? Thanks.

@VMCASSTAFF, can I get a clarification on something addressed earlier in the thread? If I have my application submitted and all of my eLORs and transcripts in by October 2nd, but VMCAS doesn't get my transcript verified by October 2nd, am I out of luck? You said earlier in the thread (specifically your post on August 15th) that you will not accept transcripts received after October 2nd although you did last year, but I'm confused if that means transcript verification stops on October 2nd and all remaining apps are sent to schools marked as "incomplete", or if you will continue verifying transcripts after October 2nd as long as everything was received on time.

Verification will continue on all materials received by vmcas before the deadline. We will not accept documents after the October 2nd deadline

Reactions: 1 user
If your docs are in before the deadline we will verify your application.

Verification will continue on all materials received by vmcas before the deadline. We will not accept documents after the October 2nd deadline
Might I suggest using this wording on the VMCAS application/website as opposed to ""Because verification can take as many as four weeks, if you are S.E.T. by September 2nd your application has the best chance of being verified before the October 2nd deadline!" There are multiple places where students are left thinking that we have to be verified by October 2nd.

There is also a statement that some schools require verification by October 2nd...."Applications that are NOT completed & verified before October 2nd, *MAY* be denied by veterinary schools. This decision is at the discretion of the individual schools you are applying to." Can you provide a list of schools that do this?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how to best emphasize ongoing animal/ veterinary experience once the application is submitted? Is simply leaving the box to input the end of the experience empty enough or should the explanation of the experience specifically say it is ongoing? I plan on submitting within the next day or so and will have quite a few hours continuing to accumulate.

Is verification just for transcripts? Or are they also now checking on experiences and other aspects of the application? (Just curious.)

Is verification just for transcripts? Or are they also now checking on experiences and other aspects of the application? (Just curious.)
I don't see how they would go about verifying your experiences, unless they wanted to call each and every experience. Which for some people (like me) that would take a very long time.

Does anyone know how to best emphasize ongoing animal/ veterinary experience once the application is submitted? Is simply leaving the box to input the end of the experience empty enough or should the explanation of the experience specifically say it is ongoing? I plan on submitting within the next day or so and will have quite a few hours continuing to accumulate.
I think leaving the end time box open is enough. If you wanted to emphasize that it's ongoing, make a super short note in the description box.

@VMCASSTAFF I had all of my transcripts turned in right around mid-August, but the transcript from my grad school didn't have my 2 credit hours of "physiology research" listed on it. (It might have been listed "in progress", but definitely not completed).
However, before I submitted my VMCAS application, (on the 3rd), on my coursework I changed those 2 credit hours to "completed" with an A.

So my coursework says those 2 credit hours are completed, but my transcript either says they're in progress or doesn't list them. Is it necessary to send in another transcript in order to be verified so that schools will see my application?

Thanks

I don't see how they would go about verifying your experiences, unless they wanted to call each and every experience. Which for some people (like me) that would take a very long time.

I don't either, that's why I asked.

At least you'd feel like the incredible cost was for some reason, though. :)

Shhh, don't give them ideas! ;) Not only would it take a ton of time and add more stress to the process, but some of my experiences are from years ago and I doubt anyone there would remember me. I'm sure a lot of applicants are in the same boat. Verifying experiences would eliminate the hopefully small number of people who lie about their experiences and don't get caught other ways, though.

Now I'm imagining the logical extreme of them verifying personal statements. "You said here that you're hard-working and self-motivated, yet here you sit watching Netflix and eating Nutella with a spoon at 10am on a Wednesday." :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Now I'm imagining the logical extreme of them verifying personal statements. "You said here that you're hard-working and self-motivated, yet here you sit watching Netflix and eating Nutella with a spoon at 10am on a Wednesday." :laugh:
Are you spying on me? :eek:

Verification is only auditing your coursework entry against your official transcripts.

Shhh, don't give them ideas! ;) Not only would it take a ton of time and add more stress to the process, but some of my experiences are from years ago and I doubt anyone there would remember me.

Heh. Forget remembering - I had a couple entries on my application where the people were now deceased. I remember debating putting them on there since it was virtually impossible to verify. Then I gave a great big mental shrug and said to myself "Hey. It's legitimate experience. If someone calls me out on it and doesn't want to count it because it can't be verified, that's fine. But it's still legit."

Verification is only auditing your coursework entry against your official transcripts.
I wonder if it would be beneficial in the future to have some way of allowing the coursework portion of the application to be submitted separately then. I know I'd be perfectly willing to submit that portion (and even the application fee!) super early. But as it is I'm still working on my PS. Le sigh.

I wonder if it would be beneficial in the future to have some way of allowing the coursework portion of the application to be submitted separately then. I know I'd be perfectly willing to submit that portion (and even the application fee!) super early. But as it is I'm still working on my PS. Le sigh.

It's still broken down by pages, right? (I.e. a coursework page, an experience page, the PS page, etc.)

Seems like it would be easy enough to have you check off on any given page as it's completed. Some sort of "I certify that this information is complete and I am ready for it to be verified" kinda thing.

I dunno. The flip side is that it's just easier and cleaner to require people to be completely done with their app before they start looking it over.

It's still broken down by pages, right? (I.e. a coursework page, an experience page, the PS page, etc.)

Seems like it would be easy enough to have you check off on any given page as it's completed. Some sort of "I certify that this information is complete and I am ready for it to be verified" kinda thing.

I dunno. The flip side is that it's just easier and cleaner to require people to be completely done with their app before they start looking it over.
Yes, and yeah that's what I was thinking - it's already separated so it probably wouldn't be that difficult. But I do see the other side of it too. So I'm largely just ignoring the priority deadline thing. I'd rather not stress and rush my PS when I don't have to.

I was also wondering why they require one of your eLORs to be submitted before verification because I honestly have no idea how that relates to transcripts.

Yes, and yeah that's what I was thinking - it's already separated so it probably wouldn't be that difficult. But I do see the other side of it too. So I'm largely just ignoring the priority deadline thing. I'd rather not stress and rush my PS when I don't have to.

I was also wondering why they require one of your eLORs to be submitted before verification because I honestly have no idea how that relates to transcripts.
Maybe it's just confirmation that you're actually intending on submitting an application eventually, and that your eLORS are generally on board too.

Maybe it's just confirmation that you're actually intending on submitting an application eventually, and that your eLORS are generally on board too.
I thought that, but paying the application fee seems like it would be enough to say you're serious about it

@VMCASSTAFF I asked this question before but didn't see an answer. If I wanted to put Continuing Educations I have attended for work where would I put that on the application? Should it go under coursework in experiences?

@VMCASSTAFF I asked this question before but didn't see an answer. If I wanted to put Continuing Educations I have attended for work where would I put that on the application? Should it go under coursework in experiences?

I attended several conferences for my job (which is grad school so it may be different), but I listed all of mine under extracurricular.

Did anyone include section numbers with their course numbers? I wouldn't think it's necessary, except that a couple of my courses have the same numbers but are different sections. I took the same class, but once with cows, once with pigs, and once with sheep/goats and the only difference is the section number. It was only pass/fail but I don't want it to look like I took the same class 3 times.

After submitting and having the application verified, how long does it take for the application to be received by the schools?

For instance, I submitted my application and it has been verified last week. I recently checked the tracking page for one of the schools via the supplemental application portal and it says it has not yet received the VMCAS application.

I have a question regarding adding classes that have not been taken yet. I am applying to a few schools that require an Animal Nutrition class. I have not taken that class and my school does not offer such a class. I was planning to take it online at some point this year. I am considering waiting to take it until after I find out if I get accepted at these schools or not as I don't want to have to pay for the class if I don't need to.
I don't want to leave it off the future coursework section if some of the schools I applying to require it. I don't know what I should do about this. Has anyone else dealt with this? How do I enter that on the VMCAS in the coursework section? If I do take it online, I will take it at Purdue, can I enter the Purdue online Animal Nutrition class even though I haven't signed up for it and may in fact not take it if I don't need to?
Thanks for any help!

I have a question regarding adding classes that have not been taken yet. I am applying to a few schools that require an Animal Nutrition class. I have not taken that class and my school does not offer such a class. I was planning to take it online at some point this year. I am considering waiting to take it until after I find out if I get accepted at these schools or not as I don't want to have to pay for the class if I don't need to.
I don't want to leave it off the future coursework section if some of the schools I applying to require it. I don't know what I should do about this. Has anyone else dealt with this? How do I enter that on the VMCAS in the coursework section? If I do take it online, I will take it at Purdue, can I enter the Purdue online Animal Nutrition class even though I haven't signed up for it and may in fact not take it if I don't need to?
Thanks for any help!
Check with your schools. Some schools will allow animal nutrition to be taken the summer before matriculation if needed, like Purdue.

Thanks for any help!
I second the advice to check with your schools. Some schools want you to take exactly the planned courses you enter, others are fine if you change things as long as you fulfill their prereqs by their deadline.

Contemplating on whether or not to do an explanation statement, and if so, what all to include. I was going to explain how I grew up with a single mom (who has suffered some health issues) , with no father, and that funds were tight. I have worked hard to put myself through college with no family assistance etc., but does saying you're poor look bad to schools?
Also, my grandfather on my fathers side is latino, I have always identified myself as white as I have never met that side, is that good or bad to put in? I know there are stereotypes sometimes.
I also suffered from a bit of test anxiety during orgo and it affected my grade (C), should I explain that?
I have read that anything you say can be used as evidence that you won't do well in vet school and I don't want my app to look negative at all. I don't want to look like I am making excuses, just that I have fought hard to get where I am.
So, should I do an explanation statement and if so, what should I include?
Thanks for any help!

Experience question!
So for a good portion of my middle/high school, my family bred and raised Pomeranians (my mom liked puppies). We only sold some of the puppies to trusted friends and families, and still keep tabs on some of the litters. But I'm not sure if having this experience on my VMCAS would be a good point, since we weren't official breeders, it was a hobby for about five or six years. I also was going to combine this with my family's general ownership of fish, rats, mice, and rabbits throughout my life.

Contemplating on whether or not to do an explanation statement, and if so, what all to include. I was going to explain how I grew up with a single mom (who has suffered some health issues) , with no father, and that funds were tight. I have worked hard to put myself through college with no family assistance etc., but does saying you're poor look bad to schools?
Also, my grandfather on my fathers side is latino, I have always identified myself as white as I have never met that side, is that good or bad to put in? I know there are stereotypes sometimes.
I also suffered from a bit of test anxiety during orgo and it affected my grade (C), should I explain that?
I have read that anything you say can be used as evidence that you won't do well in vet school and I don't want my app to look negative at all. I don't want to look like I am making excuses, just that I have fought hard to get where I am.
So, should I do an explanation statement and if so, what should I include?
Thanks for any help!

Personally I'd see completing college when faced with financial difficulty to be admirable. I don't think explaining that you grew up in that situation and had to contribute to your own education will turn schools against you, it might even show them that you are motivated and can succeed academically even with other things going on. If you're worried about looking like you're making excuses, tell them how you've improved..... "this happened then but look how I have grown from it and learned from it"