VMCAS Explanation Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icantgivepudgetuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering how heavily the explanation statement will be weighed on the VMCAS website. I had significant health issues through my early years at college leading to an open heart surgery and serious post op complications that lasted a year and a half after. After my surgery I went straight back to school and I didn't take any time off, except for the following summer (I needed to get well). I do not have a terrible GPA (3.4) but my health struggles made life difficult and I ended up having to retake two classes. Now I have all As and Bs. I guess my question is: how should I go about writing my statement? I was definitely affected in my ability to get amazing grades and take part in a lot of extra activites. My goal is to show that I learned from the experience and it has made me a stronger person. I want it to be positive, and I do not want it to sound like I am making excuses. However, I don't want to lessen my struggles on what I went through. I'm not the type of person to exaggerate or boast about things, but I do not want to be so modest so that evaluators will not take my situation seriously. I don't know how seriously they will consider it, but I feel that it has drastically affected me and how much I was able to be a part of during my school years. Any advice on how to go about writing it? Does this seem like a significant enough situation to put in my application?

I'm stressing about my application if you can tell!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I was wondering how heavily the explanation statement will be weighed on the VMCAS website. I had significant health issues through my early years at college leading to an open heart surgery and serious post op complications that lasted a year and a half after. After my surgery I went straight back to school and I didn't take any time off, except for the following summer (I needed to get well). I do not have a terrible GPA (3.4) but my health struggles made life difficult and I ended up having to retake two classes. Now I have all As and Bs. I guess my question is: how should I go about writing my statement? I was definitely affected in my ability to get amazing grades and take part in a lot of extra activites. My goal is to show that I learned from the experience and it has made me a stronger person. I want it to be positive, and I do not want it to sound like I am making excuses. However, I don't want to lessen my struggles on what I went through. I'm not the type of person to exaggerate or boast about things, but I do not want to be so modest so that evaluators will not take my situation seriously. I don't know how seriously they will consider it, but I feel that it has drastically affected me and how much I was able to be a part of during my school years. Any advice on how to go about writing it? Does this seem like a significant enough situation to put in my application?

I'm stressing about my application if you can tell!
Thank you!!

You might want to re-post this on the other thread so you will get responses specific to your situation. I'm just answering here so you'll see it.

I would make this part of my personal statement, and not an explanation statement. Unless you have a really amazing personal statement that is completely different than the generic "I always wanted to be a vet because..." statements. I see the explanation sections as more of a way to wrap up any loose ends, or clarify things that aren't clear on other parts of the application, rather than to explain why you're not quite as good as some of the other applicants.

When you look at other applicant stats, it can be easy to start to see yourself as lacking and to feel like you should make excuses for that. But don't fall into that trap. Everyone is different, and most schools want a diverse class that has soft skills as well as good grades. Focus on what you DO have, not what you don't. What did you learn about medicine from your experience? Were you inspired by a doctor or care team? Did you learn how important communication is with the patient and the care team? If so, how and why? You could have lots of great stuff to talk about that will still get the same point across (I had open heart surgery + complications) without using it as an excuse for your grades. Maybe at first you thought such a huge set back would be the end of your dreams to become a veterinarian, but in the end you (hopefully) think it was the best thing that could have happened because of all things you learned that you wouldn't have otherwise?

Reactions: 1 user