VMCAS: new formatting & supplemental applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who like jumping down people's throats, I've already looked through the threads as best I can to find an answer for this question.
I didn't find one that really answered the question I'm trying to tackle. So here's mine:

The VMCAS has a new format this year, and I noticed that under the "manage programs" tab, there is an area for each school you're applying to and some information about it, followed by (usually) a pre-reqs tab, and then a "questions" tab.

These extra tabs feel sort of similar to some of the supplemental applications I've seen schools ask be submitted. So have I missed something, and VMCAS has found a magical way to incorporate the supplemental applications into their system?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I managed to catch an info presentation by Tony Wynne earlier this year, and he talked about this. He said that they're trying to incorporate the information that schools ask on supplementals into VMCAS to save everyone time, aggravation, and money. They're hoping schools will eventually just use VMCAS for those extra questions instead of piling their own individual form on top, but supplementals are unlikely to go away because it's easy money for the schools. So even if we have to put all that extra info in VMCAS, we're probably going to still be paying to repeat it on another form anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
I managed to catch an info presentation by Tony Wynne earlier this year, and he talked about this. He said that they're trying to incorporate the information that schools ask on supplementals into VMCAS to save everyone time, aggravation, and money. They're hoping schools will eventually just use VMCAS for those extra questions instead of piling their own individual form on top, but supplementals are unlikely to go away because it's easy money for the schools. So even if we have to put all that extra info in VMCAS, we're probably going to still be paying to repeat it on another form anyway.

Translation: they want to charge schools, and probably applicants, more money.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd just like to add for OP's sake, that I'd feel as though he/she would feel like the application process wasn't as "solitary" if he/she joined the 2020 applicants thread for support and questions rather than isolating themselves into individual threads.

Reactions: 11 users
I'd just like to add for OP's sake, that I'd feel as though he/she would feel like the application process wasn't as "solitary" if he/she joined the 2020 applicants thread for support and questions rather than isolating themselves into individual threads.

9266965.gif

Reactions: 2 users