VMCAS "Primary GPA", Cumulative or just one school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fly Racing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 5 semesters at one school and 4 additional transcripts ranging from 2 classes to 2 semesters (non-trad, being somewhat creative to get all the classes done.) Is my primary GPA just from the school I did 5 semesters at (about a 3.8 yay!) or my cumulative (3.4 boo!)? My prereq GPA is 3.9 so I have something going for me, but curious to know what numbers are actually laid out on the VMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

When I asked, it should be the school you received your degree from. If you did not receive a degree, then the school you took the most units at. You can mention your cumulative GPA in the explanation section if it isn't as high as your primary one.

The instructions actually used to say EITHER the school you received your degree from OR where you did the majority of your work at OR the most appropriate (most recent)...

You just need to pick the one that makes the most sense.

But it can only be ONE.

I had the most the credits at the school I graduated from, but choose the GPA from the school I took all my pre-reqs at and was most recent.

That may have changed, so check to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can put the other GPA in the explanation statement as well.

I have 5 semesters at one school and 4 additional transcripts ranging from 2 classes to 2 semesters (non-trad, being somewhat creative to get all the classes done.) Is my primary GPA just from the school I did 5 semesters at (about a 3.8 yay!) or my cumulative (3.4 boo!)? My prereq GPA is 3.9 so I have something going for me, but curious to know what numbers are actually laid out on the VMCAS.

One comment in addition to the correct info you got from others...

In the big picture, it won't matter. Schools will individually calculate your GPA for their own admissions procedure regardless of what you put there. Maybe some of them do some sort of pre-screening, so you don't want to leave it blank or something, but whether you get exactly the right GPA or not isn't going to matter.